The NEW ATH-ES700..
Apr 9, 2015 at 7:36 AM Post #1,066 of 1,098
Interesting to know!
Well my friend may be buying my EPH-100s for AU$80. Which is about US$65.

So if I choose to get the 1As. It would only cost me AU$169.
Were the lambskin leather earpads worth the investment?

Can you please explain to me what YMMV means?

Lambskins : Worth every penny!

YMMV: "Your mileage may vary" (it's a variation of "different strokes for different folks". Often used instead of "IMHO")

Apr 9, 2015 at 7:53 AM Post #1,067 of 1,098
  Lambskins : Worth every penny!

YMMV: "Your mileage may vary" (it's a variation of "different strokes for different folks". Often used instead of "IMHO")

thanks emBOS :) 
I've heard of that saying but not that abbreviation.

What would you say? do you think it's worth buying the 1A's for AU$249 or the ES700's+the lambskin leather pads for $10 more?

I haven't owned a on-ear headphone before but I did own the 1R's and I found the spacious sound & the luxury comfort really addictive :) 

Apr 9, 2015 at 9:40 AM Post #1,068 of 1,098
Originally Posted by Fluffy Muffinz /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What would you say? do you think it's worth buying the 1A's for AU$249 or the ES700's+the lambskin leather pads for $10 more?

Really hard for me to say, as I haven't heard the 1A's.

Note that the ES700's are quite mid-centric, which has been mentioned several times in this thread. They are how ever very responsive to EQ and are very capable in the entire range. I myself run them through a Vorzuge Vorzamp Duo with both the bass and treble switch turned on and that has really hit the sweetspot for me. I am a bit of a bass-head just FYI 
L3000.gif

Apr 9, 2015 at 2:20 PM Post #1,069 of 1,098
Yes. I was fortunate to happen to live very close to the audio technica facility in Ohio, so I was able to walk in and get the lambskin pads for $20. Very well worth it. In fact, after returning to es-700 to amazon, I kept the lambskin pads and now use them on my amperiors. Super awesome fit and comfort.

I honestly didn't try the es-700 EQ'd so I can't say how it responds, but I will say that for a less than $200 (respectively) portable headphone, I don't think the fact that it sounds good plugged into a $500 amp is a good selling point, personally. I would think the intention of being portable should win out in the end. Even something small like my fiio e11, would be mildly annoying to have to take with me on the go, just to make the headphone itself shine...

Apr 9, 2015 at 5:55 PM Post #1,070 of 1,098
Yes. I was fortunate to happen to live very close to the audio technica facility in Ohio, so I was able to walk in and get the lambskin pads for $20. Very well worth it. In fact, after returning to es-700 to amazon, I kept the lambskin pads and now use them on my amperiors. Super awesome fit and comfort.

I honestly didn't try the es-700 EQ'd so I can't say how it responds, but I will say that for a less than $200 (respectively) portable headphone, I don't think the fact that it sounds good plugged into a $500 amp is a good selling point, personally. I would think the intention of being portable should win out in the end. Even something small like my fiio e11, would be mildly annoying to have to take with me on the go, just to make the headphone itself shine...

wow, that's lucky.
US$20? That's cheap even buy AU standards. It'd cost me around AU$70-AU$75 to buy them. Not including the headphones themselves at AU$189.

The 1R's were generally a mid-centric headphone as well but do the ES700's have the spacious like sound as what the 1R's had? or is the sound stage very intimate? 

Apr 11, 2015 at 10:25 PM Post #1,072 of 1,098
sweet. 

well there's a listing for a pair of ESW9's on ebay. I'm not sure if it's a fake or not. just sent him a pm asking if he has a copy of the original purchase receipt. 

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AUDIO-TECHNICA-ATH-ESW9-HEADPHONES-NEW-BOXED-/111642328068?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item19fe66bc04

amazon.kp is selling the ES700's for AU$143.57 (US$110.24). would anyone know if using tenso is expensive and or worth it? I can get it in Australia for $189. 

I'm thinking twice about the 1A's now. I've heard that they haven't fixed the issue where you ear touch the drivers. That was an issue I found with my 1R's and MK2's. It's surprising on how annoying those little things can be. 

Apr 30, 2015 at 10:00 AM Post #1,073 of 1,098
How do the ES700s compare to the ES88s? Is it a night and day difference.

I can get the ES88s on eBay for around $100 lightly used. Is it worth the difference in price or is it worth getting the ES700s?

Tia. I need some guidance on this matter.

May 1, 2015 at 12:22 AM Post #1,074 of 1,098
I'm getting kind of paranoid over having scratches on these nice earcups so I'm thinking of putting on some protective film over them.

Obviously those "sticks-using-static" ones won't work on these, so the only choice would be those adhesive-type ones.

The concern I have is whether the prints on the earcups would also come off if I decided to replace or remove these protective films.

Anybody else tried this?

May 1, 2015 at 10:16 AM Post #1,075 of 1,098
I use this:

http://www.bestskinsever.com/audio-technica-ath-es7-headphone-skins

The ES7 cups are a couple of millimeters narrower than ES700's but the skins do their job.

May 25, 2015 at 6:37 PM Post #1,076 of 1,098
Not sure if anyone discovered this yet but the Urbanears Zinken pads are quite a good option for the ATH-ES700. They only cost 5 USD and are MUCH plushier than the stock pads, its like having cushions on your ears. They also do not seem to affect the sound a whole lot, or at least I can't hear a big difference. I think they attenuate the treble a little bit, but otherwise they seem to sound pretty much identical to the stock pads. Stock ATH-ES700 is just slightly dark and these pads make them a little bit more neutral to my ears. With the already fantastic midrange and a slightly added treble bite, these become ideal for rock! At the same time, I can't hear any ugly sibilance anywhere (I also tried the Zinken pads with my JVC HA-S500 and the result was an unlistenable, biting exercise in sibilance). They also don't affect the soundstage by any margin detectable by me.

The only caveat is that being quite a lot plushier than the stock pads, the clamp of the ES700 becomes quite worriesome and I'm forced to adjust them two whole notches above what I'd usually have them at on the headband. Its not uncomfortable but feels a little more claustrophobic than stock. I'm quite excited to see what happens when the pads adjust to my ears over time.

Aug 7, 2015 at 7:31 PM Post #1,079 of 1,098

Hello my right ear cups falls and I have no clue how to make it stay in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back