The NEW ATH-ES700..
Oct 11, 2014 at 5:08 PM Post #1,051 of 1,098
a natural progression from the ES700 would be the Onkyo300,
and a natural progression from the esw9 would be the AKG545.
Also if you want to stay small, a side option is the Mikros90 but modding is necessary to get the comfort and bass but it is very detailed stock..

All other cans I tried had only some attributes but my main attraction to a headphone is realism an life (not dull or lifeless ) and alot of very, very good cans out there do not give realism the same.
many may sound technically correct but still lack some life (example:focal spirit pro & kef m500) only compared to others like the top ones I recommend and if you never compared you would never realize and be happy regardless because ignorance is bliss..
as they are still very good cans but we are talking about top comparisons and they are still above most mid tier headphones
:p

Oct 16, 2014 at 9:40 AM Post #1,052 of 1,098
Also if you want to stay small, a side option is the Mikros90 but modding is necessary to get the comfort and bass but it is very detailed stock..

All other cans I tried had only some attributes but my main attraction to a headphone is realism an life (not dull or lifeless ) and alot of very, very good cans out there do not give realism the same.
many may sound technically correct but still lack some life (example:focal spirit pro & kef m500) only compared to others like the top ones I recommend and if you never compared you would never realize and be happy regardless because ignorance is bliss..
as they are still very good cans but we are talking about top comparisons and they are still above most mid tier headphones
:p

Can you make an impression on onkyo es-fc300 vs es700?

Oct 17, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #1,053 of 1,098
I no longer have an impression in my mind of the es700 because I only have my es700woodie.

I do know the es700 moded is very much like the es10.

Although the onkyo has high realism overall in its signature, I think the es700 has best vocals.
onkyo beats es700 mainly in bass and some more size (Soundstage )

Oct 17, 2014 at 4:54 PM Post #1,054 of 1,098

tongue.gif

If you want realism.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/738758/new-audio-technica-sound-reality-headphones-ath-msr7-and-ath-msr7ltd#post_10969598

Save your money for this!

Oct 22, 2014 at 8:32 AM Post #1,055 of 1,098
Looks like its time to look for people selling esw9 housing or pairs with broken driver :p

Oct 26, 2014 at 2:03 PM Post #1,056 of 1,098
Can you make an impression on onkyo es-fc300 vs es700?

I no longer have an impression in my mind of the es700 because I only have my es700woodie.

I do know the es700 moded is very much like the es10.

Although the onkyo has high realism overall in its signature, I think the es700 has best vocals.
onkyo beats es700 mainly in bass and some more size (Soundstage )

I have both, and can say they are both favorites of mine. FC300 (or HF300) are bigger, with bigger cups, so the soundstage is more open, and sound is smoother overall. If you would rather the more intimate/exciting sound then the es700 are the way to go... and easier for portability. Stock the bass of the 300 are more present, but EQed the es700 can outdo them.

Nov 2, 2014 at 11:31 AM Post #1,057 of 1,098
When i was in audio store and did listening of all kind of portable headphones, these were second best after es10. Beating many more popular and more expensive headphones, like Momentum for example. They are sadly quite overpriced in Europe. I bought them from German online shop for 270 dollars, which is like 2/3s of price of es10, which is just too much, considering how much better es10 are. But prices on Amazon are more like 1/4 of price of es10 and thats a different story.

Sound signature:
Mid centric. No soundstage. Good lows but not as deep and strong as es10 or m50. Not very clear and lacking highs and dynamic compared to es10. Warm mids with "full sound" due to strong and accurate sub bass.

PROs
look
weight
sound
price (depends where you live)
headband comfort

NEGATIVES
synthetic leather pads - bad ear comfort
bad sound isolation

Jan 29, 2015 at 11:59 PM Post #1,058 of 1,098
What is the impedance on these
I see some sites listing them as 56 ohms
http://eu.audio-technica.com/en/products/product.asp?catID=5&subID=38&prodID=4389
and others saying it's 36ohms
http://www.audio-technica.co.jp/atj/show_model.php?modelId=2262
http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/headphones/85b7822ee8285045/index.html

Both are official listings, I saw some measurements on golden ears and it looked closer to 36 ohms on there.  But this is weird that one of the official sites has it wrong, unless the european model is made to be 56 ohms.

Edit: Talked to Audio-Technica Europe and their version of the ES700 is 56ohms to conform with SPL laws.  The U.S. and Japanese versions are 36 ohms as stated by their website.

Apr 7, 2015 at 9:13 AM Post #1,060 of 1,098
Hi all,

I'm wanting to get a more portable headphone for on the go use & travel. I don't travel a whole lot so I'm wanting to spend AU$200 or less.

I own a pair of Yamaha EPH-100s but I seem to not like earphones in general. However I really like my Jaybird Blubuds X earphones for the gym.The wings just seem to work perfectly for me. Plus I don't need 2 pairs of earphones.

I'm looking at the ES700s which I can find in Australia for AU$189 but I'm also thinking of the Sony MDR-1As as I really liked my pair of 1Rs but the rattling issue was the achillies heal for me. Now that they have fixed that with the 1As I'm reconsidering. I can find them for AU$250 on amazon.de. my friend will be buying my EPH-100s off me so I can live with paying a little extra.

I'm wanting to ask whether I'd get more value for money with the ES700s or the 1As? or if there are some other good options for portable use.

Please put into account that these will only be used on the odd occasions that I'll go travelling or a want to use them on the go. Plus I'll be purchasing the Fidelio X2s for strictly home use.

Tia. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Apr 8, 2015 at 2:41 AM Post #1,061 of 1,098
I was not a fan. I bought a pair off amazon and while they are a very beautiful pair, they were just too mid focused for me. YMMV. that and the brushed finish was a magnet for scratches and smudges. they were not very comfortable with the stock pads either. I prefer my amperiors and my vmoda m80's to the es-700. just a suggestion: look at the vmoda xs. its very portable.

Apr 8, 2015 at 3:01 AM Post #1,062 of 1,098
well, I've heard that the ESW9 leather pads are a must have for the ES700's and make the difference in comfort from night to day. 

As for the earcups, as a perfectionist it would be suicide but bestskinsever sells the ES7 screen protectors for the ear cups and they fit the ES700's perfectly. So that solves that. 

I would buy consider the M80's or the LP2's but the ear cups are too small for me personally. 

Based of Lachlanlikesathing review of the ES700's it seems to be a very good option.

Apr 8, 2015 at 3:49 AM Post #1,063 of 1,098
  Okay, got the ES700 and ES88 video up!

When I get the chance, I will lay out a more detailed review thread comparing all of them...

Suffice it to say for now that people who like the ES10 might like the ES700 and vice versa, but they are not quite the same signature...

if you were to have to choose one from the other. Would you choose the ES10 or the ES700? 

Apr 9, 2015 at 2:59 AM Post #1,064 of 1,098
yea. i got the lambskin pads for mine and they were very comfy and if going through the hassle of skins for the earcups isnt a problem for you, then more power to ya! His review is what moved me to purchase them. I ended up not hearing them at all like he heard them. again thought, YMMV. 

Apr 9, 2015 at 3:26 AM Post #1,065 of 1,098
yea. i got the lambskin pads for mine and they were very comfy and if going through the hassle of skins for the earcups isnt a problem for you, then more power to ya! His review is what moved me to purchase them. I ended up not hearing them at all like he heard them. again thought, YMMV. 

Interesting to know!
Well my friend may be buying my EPH-100s for AU$80. Which is about US$65.

So if I choose to get the 1As. It would only cost me AU$169.
Were the lambskin leather earpads worth the investment?

Can you please explain to me what YMMV means?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back