The NEW ATH-ES700..
Nov 20, 2015 at 5:13 PM Post #1,084 of 1,098
These will be replaced by ES750 next month. They will cost $200 at start. Meanwhile ES700 is available for $80-90 brand new.

So sorry my dear wallet...

Dec 10, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #1,086 of 1,098
Just a heads up some guy at HUKD found these for £69.99 @ TK Maxx http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/audio-technica-ath-es700-headphones-69-99-tk-maxx-2345208?p=26730765

Good price!

Sadly these went off my radar a while ago and I ended up getting some CAL!, and of course I still have the HA-S680s.

Dec 22, 2015 at 9:49 AM Post #1,087 of 1,098
Thanks for the link to the TKMaxx deal, got a pair. I owned them before and I forgot how much I liked them. Maybe because I've got the ESW9 meanwhile to sweeten this.

Now I'm going to create ESW700. Thanks Maxx134 for the idea.

Feb 2, 2016 at 7:43 PM Post #1,088 of 1,098
These just came up in Amazon Japan for about 9800 yen ($80) through an independent seller. I've had my eyes on them for a few weeks but they were 14,000. Needless to say I grabbed a pair as they were about the same price as the ES500s. Enjoying them so far although I'm no audiophile. I may look into picking up a pair of ES-W9 pads for them as they seem to be recommended.

Feb 3, 2016 at 1:53 AM Post #1,089 of 1,098
These just came up in Amazon Japan for about 9800 yen ($80) through an independent seller. I've had my eyes on them for a few weeks but they were 14,000. Needless to say I grabbed a pair as they were about the same price as the ES500s. Enjoying them so far although I'm no audiophile. I may look into picking up a pair of ES-W9 pads for them as they seem to be recommended.

Highly recommend doing this! In addition to making the headphones far more comfortable, it also gives them a more premium feel.

Feb 3, 2016 at 9:16 PM Post #1,090 of 1,098
Now I'm going to create ESW700. Thanks Maxx134 for the idea.

Hey! What's going on here?!
I didn't post the esw700 mod yet!
Lol
To give some history to the idea:

I had owned what I believe are ALL the portable (over ear) Earsuit models.

I have owned:
Esw10jpn
Esw11LTD
Esw9
Esw9LTD
Es700
Es10
Es7
Ws99

And others, etc. (Check my sig)

So anyways, in the process before and after attaining the fables esw10jpn,
I was both fooled and conned into believing that you can perform some "Germainia" (or ANY mod for that matter) ,
To make your esw9 sound close to the fabled esw10jpn! !

NOTHING CAN BE FURTHER FROM THE THUTH!

The fact is , sorry but no can will have the solidity and tonality of that can.
I owned it.
Nothing is like the esw10jpn. ..

Now that that is settled,

It did not stop me from trying to reach the sound of that can...

The result was of course FAILURE! !
BUT... BUT. Wait..

A truley sweet result was born out of all my trials.
A can I chose to keep as a sweet memory while I sold off all the rest (!)

It retains a lively approach.
The internals are dampened highly to approach the level of solidity of plastic housing that the esw11 & esw10jpn has.

I always noted how the es700 can sound like an es10, but the esw700 mod supercedes an es10 easily.
In signature it lies between an esw10jpn and an es10.
In soundstage, it lies between an esw9ltd and an esw9.
It is like the more forward version of the laid back esw9ltd.
As for resolution, it steps up from es700 and esw9,
Yet still lies just below the esw9ltd.
The esw9ltd still lies a tiny notch below the fabled esw10jpn in trebles, but it has superior bass .
The esw10jpn has a very solid hard hitting neutral bass that is truley excellent, but does not go as deep as any of the others...

Anyways, I have kept this little gem to my self for a few years, as it still is only a small woody portable,
Not an end game level portable. .

I have since moved on to Ultrasone ed8, then modded ed8, then PM2, now modded PM2..

But I still keep the modded "esw700" as a super energetic fun can.
:)

Edit:
The proposed upcoming es750 has peaked my interest again into using them as donors for modding..

Here is a pic of the "esw700":

The esw10jpn pads are tight to get on,
And the driver housing is not easy to line up the screw holes, but nobody said it was gona be easy:

Edit2:
Although I do not have a write up,
Basically what was done was:
treat the wood,
Dampen plastic
Dampen materials without loosing stock material.
Adjust to your liking.
No matter how you internally dampen,
It will always sound larger than stock es700

Feb 4, 2016 at 5:21 AM Post #1,091 of 1,098
Hey! What's going on here?!
I didn't post the esw700 mod yet!
Lol
To give some history to the idea:
I had owned what I believe are ALL the portable (over ear) Earsuit models.

I have owned:
Esw10jpn
Esw11LTD
Esw9
Esw9LTD
Es700
Es10
Es7
Ws99

And others, etc. (Check my sig)

So anyways, in the process before and after attaining the fables esw10jpn,
I was both fooled and conned into believing that you can perform some "Germainia" (or ANY mod for that matter) ,
To make your esw9 sound close to the fabled esw10jpn! !

NOTHING CAN BE FURTHER FROM THE THUTH!

The fact is , sorry but no can will have the solidity and tonality of that can.
I owned it.
Nothing is like the esw10jpn. ..

Now that that is settled,

It did not stop me from trying to reach the sound of that can...

The result was of course FAILURE! !
BUT... BUT. Wait..

A truley sweet result was born out of all my trials.
A can I chose to keep as a sweet memory while I sold off all the rest (!)

It retains a lively approach.
The internals are dampened highly to approach the level of solidity of plastic housing that the esw11 & esw10jpn has.

I always noted how the es700 can sound like an es10, but the esw700 mod supercedes an es10 easily.
In signature it lies between an esw10jpn and an es10.
In soundstage, it lies between an esw9ltd and an esw9.
It is like the more forward version of the laid back esw9ltd.
As for resolution, it steps up from es700 and esw9,
Yet still lies just below the esw9ltd.
The esw9ltd still lies a tiny notch below the fabled esw10jpn in trebles, but it has superior bass .
The esw10jpn has a very solid hard hitting neutral bass that is truley excellent, but does not go as deep as any of the others...

Anyways, I have kept this little gem to my self for a few years, as it still is only a small woody portable,
Not an end game level portable. .

I have since moved on to Ultrasone ed8, then modded ed8, then PM2, now modded PM2..

But I still keep the modded "esw700" as a super energetic fun can.
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit:
The proposed upcoming es750 has peaked my interest again into using them as donors for modding..

Here is a pic of the "esw700":

The esw10jpn pads are tight to get on,
And the driver housing is not easy to line up the screw holes, but nobody said it was gona be easy:

Edit2:
Although I do not have a write up,
Basically what was done was:
treat the wood,
Dampen plastic
Dampen materials without loosing stock material.
Adjust to your liking.
No matter how you internally dampen,
It will always sound larger than stock es700

Hey mate, thanks for replying. I did the mod, transplanted the drivers to ESW9 housing, used a bit of cork and some of the yellow damping material. Also used the bluestack to seal the case.
I don't know what I did wrong there, but I don't like the sound too much. It is muddy and slow.
Now, I bought WS99 and love the sound of it, I thought that my ESW700 will superceed it.

Now I'm thinking that I haven't used enough damping. Back to the workshop then :)

Feb 4, 2016 at 10:27 AM Post #1,092 of 1,098
Using cork dulls sound unless used in back with more other material in middle.
So you may need more damping material.
Less damping material increases bass and muddy tonality.

I will have to open mine to see what I did, but I remember using foam with the yellow stock fiberglass.

Feb 8, 2016 at 5:43 PM Post #1,093 of 1,098
Using cork dulls sound unless used in back with more other material in middle.
So you may need more damping material.
Less damping material increases bass and muddy tonality.

I will have to open mine to see what I did, but I remember using foam with the yellow stock fiberglass.

Ok, I have made some "corrections": used more cork at the back to cover more surface (it is thin cork wallpaper) and experimented with amount of yellow fiberglass.

Sound is less muddy but much more spacious. This might have to do with the fact that ES700 drivers are slowly burning in (I've used brand new new headphones). The amount and quality of bass is getting better and better.
I'll keep playing with it, I think I am on to something here :D

Apr 7, 2016 at 1:26 AM Post #1,094 of 1,098
I know this is sort of off topic but considering it's the ath es700 thread and there's some modding talk about these here... anybody know how the small metal clamps that lock the headband length are positioned in the headband? i opened up mine and i have no idea how to put them back, lol. I could always leave them out but i'd rather be able to adjust the length of the headband, lol. I'm talking about the small metal piece inside the headband, i'd post pictures but looks like i need to make a few more posts before i can do that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back