The NEW ATH-ES700..
Feb 26, 2013 at 8:17 AM Post #301 of 1,098
Anyhows I will rip off the earpads from my ESW11LTD and see if they fit on the ES700. If it works out then I should order a pair of leather HP-ESW10 earpads since those should fit as well then.

Hey have you tried your esw11 pads on them yet?

Feb 26, 2013 at 2:44 PM Post #302 of 1,098

Left: HP-ESW11, Right: HP-ES700

Just a tad too big... or it would have been perfect..

So tell me Dsnuts. Did the WS55 pads aligned tightly so that the pad wouldn't move?

Really enough has been said in this thread here. I hope Audio Technica takes note. The ES700 is no doubt an improvement over the ES7. But the stock pads here really kill it. I wouldnt mind paying a premium if they would just release a special leather pad for the ES700.

Feb 26, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #303 of 1,098
The WS55 pads fit perfectly and make you forget your wearing your ES700.. Get the WS55 pads. I feel they are a necessity. And brand new WS55 pads actually fit perfect on the ES700 even more so than when I took them off my WS55 headphones.

Feb 26, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #304 of 1,098
I feel like I am starting to loose my sanity with spacial cues occasionally tricking my head now in the mids..
This is at low volume and I am not straining or paying attention,
but I am presuming it is because from memory of the song I did not expect that "air" to be there.
It is a very alive sound.
This on stock pads so I can't imagine better pads..
Sorry I lost count on burn in hours,
(Edit: I have been letting then play most nights while I slept. This is on top of daytime usage multiplied by how long I have owned them so far.)

but I now thinking the sound has to be best I've herd in a portable.
Of course I don't have an ws99 or es10 other bigger portable yet, which should be bigger,
but I Do have the musical m100 wich is no slouch,
And I did have the es7 & esw9 among others like the tiestos and m80 & monster DNA & Tears, to name a few.
So the mids here on 700 is special.
Edit:
As to the pads, they suck for comfort but with my q-tips inside it is bearable until I get better pads.

Feb 26, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #305 of 1,098
well after three days of usage, i have a few small but vexing scratches. Combiming the small scratchea makes it horrid to look at. Am i the only onlne wirh scratches?

Feb 26, 2013 at 7:15 PM Post #306 of 1,098
I saw a hairline and was glad I immediately bought the protectors for the es7.
Get them I posted earlier few pages back.
They can also help hide existing scratches,
And are transparent After 1-2days
Look at the edge in this photo, you can barely see them on:

Feb 26, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #307 of 1,098
Thanks a bunch, its vexing to look at. Will buy in a week or two.

The ES7 headphone skin protector is the item you are speaking about, right?

Feb 27, 2013 at 6:07 AM Post #308 of 1,098
I still can't decide if I want this, the WS99, or the AD900X. I listen to metal mainly and I love mids. I don't like my highs to be too bright and I prefer a neutral to slightly warm sound signature. I listen to electronic music as well and I LOVE subbass. I don't really care about midbass, as long as it doesn't muddy the mids. But I don't think that would be the case with any of these headphones. At the moment the S500 is my favorite pair of headphones, so it would basically be an upgrade from that.

I've never really heard great open headphones before, but I prefer depth and 3Dness over width when it comes to soundstage. Imagery, resolution, and microdetails are so important to me which is why I love the S500s so much. I also listen to alternative music a lot, but metal is my top priority.

I like my music to sound as real as possible, like I'm in the studio with the artist. But I like slightly exaggerated subbass and forward mids.

Feb 27, 2013 at 11:03 AM Post #309 of 1,098
Thanks a bunch, its vexing to look at. Will buy in a week or two.

The ES7 headphone skin protector is the item you are speaking about, right?

Yes the es7 protectors.
I cannot answer on the s500 as those are supposed to be excellent for money.

Feb 27, 2013 at 11:42 AM Post #310 of 1,098
Quote:
just got the ES700 twenty minutes ago... initial impressions - midrange is wow, sub-bass is there. soundstage is above average, wider than V-Moda M80. nice looking cans but the stock pads are a disappointment, even the S500 is better. 

How would you rate the bass' impact, osiris1?

Feb 27, 2013 at 12:00 PM Post #311 of 1,098
Yes the es7 protectors.
I cannot answer on the s500 as those are supposed to be excellent for money.

S500 is considered to be as good as $100 headphones. Even though it costs half as much.

Feb 27, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #312 of 1,098
Quote:
I still can't decide if I want this, the WS99, or the AD900X. I listen to metal mainly and I love mids. I don't like my highs to be too bright and I prefer a neutral to slightly warm sound signature. I listen to electronic music as well and I LOVE subbass. I don't really care about midbass, as long as it doesn't muddy the mids. But I don't think that would be the case with any of these headphones. At the moment the S500 is my favorite pair of headphones, so it would basically be an upgrade from that.

I've never really heard great open headphones before, but I prefer depth and 3Dness over width when it comes to soundstage. Imagery, resolution, and microdetails are so important to me which is why I love the S500s so much. I also listen to alternative music a lot, but metal is my top priority.

I like my music to sound as real as possible, like I'm in the studio with the artist. But I like slightly exaggerated subbass and forward mids.

I think the perfect upgrade to the S500 is the ES700.  I just put in an order for the WS99 but I have the AD900X and while it suits metal perfectly, I am not sure if it will be better than the ES700's for your preferences.  It has decent bass but it won't satisfy your craving for that sub-bass.  I'll report back when I get the WS99.

Feb 27, 2013 at 1:46 PM Post #313 of 1,098
I think the perfect upgrade to the S500 is the ES700.  I just put in an order for the WS99 but I have the AD900X and while it suits metal perfectly, I am not sure if it will be better than the ES700's for your preferences.  It has decent bass but it won't satisfy your craving for that sub-bass.  I'll report back when I get the WS99.
I was thinking about the ES700s too. But after I heard what Dsnuts thought about the WS99 my decision got harder.

Feb 27, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #314 of 1,098
WS99 for your music preference and don't look back. Lol. Both will be excellent but since your a metal guy. I am telling you. Slayer never sounded better. Fastest bass on the planet. Deep full mids and highs. The sound tuning is a bit more aggressive on the WS99 and isn't that what Metal should be about? What can I say.. Both cans have excellent mids. The WS99 gives that extra kick in the bass end for Metal that I think will tilt toward your preference.. The sound is deeper on the WS99 as well. While the sound of the ES700 is more sweeter.. More for acoustic and vocals more than metal me thinks.

Both can do rock n metal just fine but the attributes of the WS99 win out for Metal. My best cans for metal actually.

Feb 27, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #315 of 1,098
WS99 for your music preference and don't look back. Lol. Both will be excellent but since your a metal guy. I am telling you. Slayer never sounded better. Fastest bass on the planet. Deep full mids and highs. The sound tuning is a bit more aggressive on the WS99 and isn't that what Metal should be about? What can I say.. Both cans have excellent mids. The WS99 gives that extra kick in the bass end for Metal that I think will tilt toward your preference.. The sound is deeper on the WS99 as well. While the sound of the ES700 is more sweeter.. More for acoustic and vocals more than metal me thinks.

Both can do rock n metal just fine but the attributes of the WS99 win out for Metal. My best cans for metal actually.
I'm okay with an aggressive sound as long as it's not sharp or sibilant. I like my sound to be aggressive, but smooth at the same time. I figured he ES700 was closer to the S500s and that made me very intereated in it. Now lemme ask you this: is the WS99 better than the MDR-1Rs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back