The New AEON 2: It's The End Of MrSpeakers
Apr 13, 2022 at 3:41 PM Post #1,951 of 2,052
My pads were pretty wonky 1 week in, and I only found out about the pad issue after. It is a royal pain in the ass, and I also feel that at close to $1000, this shouldn't be happening.

It really takes away from what is otherwise a great headphone when you have to massage the pads each time you want to listen....
Agreed, I don't recommend any pair of Aeons anymore, it's an unacceptable flaw for me.

Apr 15, 2022 at 4:37 PM Post #1,952 of 2,052
Two years and one month (juuust past warranty) after purchasing my Aeon 2 open, one of my headband sliders broke (still no idea how) - preventing the clamp from gripping the rails and holding the headband in place. But I didn't want to have to send the whole unit in for service when it's just a removable plastic piece I could screw myself. So I reached out to Sue at DCA, and she mailed out a replacement and a bunch of spares in 3 days! (for free!).

I cannot imagine this kind of service from almost any commercial headphone manufacturer. I was already in love with the sound and fit of my Aeon 2, but if this is how they treat their customers years after purchase, I'm sold for life.

THANKS SUE!

Attachments

• IMG_2768.jpg
    IMG_2768.jpg
    827.6 KB · Views: 0
May 22, 2022 at 1:37 PM Post #1,954 of 2,052
Dan Clark Audio Aeon 2 Noire First Look and Giveaway Presented by TSAV

How long had you had this model before you made the video? The foam rolling problem is already pretty bad:

Screen Shot 2022-05-22 at 10.29.52 AM.png

This issue seems to affect all Aeon models, it makes me sad to see it affects a nearly $1,000 headphone. The foam rolling under the pad is an issue because it can affect seal and comfort, and can be a permanent deformation. Some users of this forum say they literally have try to roll the foam back into place every time they want to use their headphone, which to me is a ridiculous thing to have to do for headphones at a luxury price point. For some users trying to manually roll the foam back into place (again, a ridiculous thing to have to even try) doesn't work and the foam rolling deformation is permanent.

I don't recommend any Aeon models anymore, for a closed back planar from Dan Clark I'd stick with the Ether, which doesn't seem to have the same issue. In fact, compared to any other headphone I've owned, including ones with large luxurious pads (Ether, Mad Dogs, LCD-X, Focal Clear), the Aeons are the only headphone I've ever encountered where the foam seems to separate from the pad, and also the only headphone I've had where this issue starts so quickly, including out of the box.

May 22, 2022 at 4:30 PM Post #1,955 of 2,052
I don’t particularly mind the occasional minor pad adjustments to keep my A2Cs comfortable. But for those that haven’t seen the video on how to adjust the foam within the pad shell, here it is:
How to adjust and replace pads on the Aeon series HPs.
Maybe some day we can have engineered squishy leather, but until then, enjoy the quick fix.

May 22, 2022 at 7:14 PM Post #1,956 of 2,052
How long had you had this model before you made the video? The foam rolling problem is already pretty bad:

Screen Shot 2022-05-22 at 10.29.52 AM.png

This issue seems to affect all Aeon models, it makes me sad to see it affects a nearly $1,000 headphone. The foam rolling under the pad is an issue because it can affect seal and comfort, and can be a permanent deformation. Some users of this forum say they literally have try to roll the foam back into place every time they want to use their headphone, which to me is a ridiculous thing to have to do for headphones at a luxury price point. For some users trying to manually roll the foam back into place (again, a ridiculous thing to have to even try) doesn't work and the foam rolling deformation is permanent.

I don't recommend any Aeon models anymore, for a closed back planar from Dan Clark I'd stick with the Ether, which doesn't seem to have the same issue. In fact, compared to any other headphone I've owned, including ones with large luxurious pads (Ether, Mad Dogs, LCD-X, Focal Clear), the Aeons are the only headphone I've ever encountered where the foam seems to separate from the pad, and also the only headphone I've had where this issue starts so quickly, including out of the box.
Yeah, when I bought my Aeon open, I was really put off by how asymmetrical the earpads were on it out of the box, even with the foams inside straight.

May 22, 2022 at 10:06 PM Post #1,957 of 2,052

It is the TSAV demo unit, so I am unsure how long we have had it in the store. Likely since the release.

Last edited:
The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
May 23, 2022 at 5:06 PM Post #1,959 of 2,052
DCA really needs to redesign the earpads for its Aeon series. Between the rolling foam and using glue to affix them to the cups instead of a detachable mount, it's really inelegant design for what otherwise is a very nice series of cans.

Yes, it's been a pain in the ass for me with the Noires, which are otherwise very well designed. Its the difference between my ears rubbing the driver cover and not.... So would be lovely to see a good fix for this. I will probably sell my pair because of this.

The adhesive is a bit less of an issue for me since it functions well stock, but can appreciate the case for another method of fastening...

May 23, 2022 at 11:04 PM Post #1,960 of 2,052
DCA really needs to redesign the earpads for its Aeon series. Between the rolling foam and using glue to affix them to the cups instead of a detachable mount, it's really inelegant design for what otherwise is a very nice series of cans.
I'm guessing that the glue is the best design choice for the goals that they had.

That said, I totally hear you, and I'd be upset if I had an issue with such an expensive (and otherwise outstanding) set of headphones.

I'd love to hear Dan's $.02 on this topic ... he pipes in here from time to time, and their customer service seems to always be top notch if you do have issues.

May 24, 2022 at 12:41 PM Post #1,961 of 2,052
I'm guessing that the glue is the best design choice for the goals that they had.
Yep, maybe it's something about getting a complete seal for better, deeper bass with a planar. I traded my A2C with Noire pads for a pair of Audeze LCD-2C, which also have nice, rich bass, and the pads are affixed to those cans with glue, too.

May 24, 2022 at 2:12 PM Post #1,963 of 2,052
I really wish there was some way to lessen the clamp force on the Aeon 2 Noire.... it presses right into a pain point!
Just put a wooden baton of around 30cm or so between the cups for a night. (like the round baton of a kubb game) that will stretch the nitinol headband just a little.
(suposidly nitinol will always return to its same position but ir worked for me to just make them a little wider)

Last edited:
May 25, 2022 at 12:00 PM Post #1,964 of 2,052
I really wish there was some way to lessen the clamp force on the Aeon 2 Noire.... it presses right into a pain point!
Unfortunately, the Nitinol material used in the headband supposedly is unbendable.

I sailed in the same ship as you, mate. I LOVED the sound of my DCA A2C with Noire pads, but the combination of clamping force on my big dome and tight seal aggravating the hell out of my tinnitus forced me to trade them. Bummer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back