The New AEON 2: It's The End Of MrSpeakers
Aug 13, 2020 at 11:05 AM Post #1,531 of 2,052
I had no idea it comes with an optical converter. Not sure how I missed that, lol. Might have to go with this one then since it can cover both desktop and portable.

Definitely worth considering!

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Aug 15, 2020 at 10:04 PM Post #1,532 of 2,052
I think whatever you decide on if I could make one recommendation, make sure you look at something that has plenty of volts. The A2C sound so much better when given enough voltage. Are you looking at desktop or portable only or both?

technically it’s actually current that matters to get power into lower impedance designs, high impedance headphones need volts, low need current to generate the power. P=VI=V*V/R=I*I*R

Last edited:
Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Aug 16, 2020 at 2:40 AM Post #1,534 of 2,052
technically it’s actually current that matters to get power into lower impedance designs, high impedance headphones need volts, low need current to generate the power. P=VI=V*V/R=I*I*R
Thanks Dan @mrspeakers corrected! Love my pair of A2C! Looking forward to seeing what you have in store for us next!

Last edited:
The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Aug 20, 2020 at 11:23 AM Post #1,535 of 2,052
I received a new pair of Aeon 2 Open (A2O) late last week and burn-in is in progress. Avoiding detailed impressions, but here is my 20-hour take with a Schiit Hel and my ears - A very happy paring. Listening to La Nozze di Figaro ( Amazon Music link ) almost had me jumping out of my skin a couple of times. (Especially the whistle in No. 10) The stage is in my head but well defined. (Caveat - I am using 6' VIVO cables. Also, my ears have had a hard 66-years of live concerts, motorcycles, military weapons fire, and B-52 start-ups.)

Pretty early to claim which cans from my wall would I rather put on my head when I plant myself in the listening chair. I have something that offers better detail, another with objectively better FR, and the weight of the A2O has noticeably more heft than my E2s; but over my ears, with my gear, I quite like the A2O so far. No regrets.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a Hel and A2O pairing for an 'under $1k' setup. I'll move the cans over to the Jotunheim and Cavalli Liquid Platinum (re-capped) after the burn.

Like a few other cans I have, "better" doesn't mean 'better liked.' Nice job, @mrspeakers.

Aug 23, 2020 at 6:36 PM Post #1,536 of 2,052
I received a new pair of Aeon 2 Open (A2O) late last week and burn-in is in progress. Avoiding detailed impressions, but here is my 20-hour take with a Schiit Hel and my ears - A very happy paring. Listening to La Nozze di Figaro ( Amazon Music link ) almost had me jumping out of my skin a couple of times. (Especially the whistle in No. 10) The stage is in my head but well defined. (Caveat - I am using 6' VIVO cables. Also, my ears have had a hard 66-years of live concerts, motorcycles, military weapons fire, and B-52 start-ups.)

Pretty early to claim which cans from my wall would I rather put on my head when I plant myself in the listening chair. I have something that offers better detail, another with objectively better FR, and the weight of the A2O has noticeably more heft than my E2s; but over my ears, with my gear, I quite like the A2O so far. No regrets.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a Hel and A2O pairing for an 'under $1k' setup. I'll move the cans over to the Jotunheim and Cavalli Liquid Platinum (re-capped) after the burn.

Like a few other cans I have, "better" doesn't mean 'better liked.' Nice job, @mrspeakers.

Isn't that little Hel a surprise with the planars? Really effortless...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Aug 23, 2020 at 9:35 PM Post #1,537 of 2,052
Let’s say I’m not disappointed: It’s one Hel of a surprise.

Thanks for turning me onto it. It really is a perfect bed stand amp. It also is a better match, for my ears, with your E2 than the LP. But that caveat (my ears) is growing larger with every passing year.
Isn't that little Hel a surprise with the planars? Really effortless...

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2020 at 6:27 PM Post #1,538 of 2,052
Hi all,

I don’t normally post online reviews but feel compelled with regards to the Aeon 2C’s.

To give a little background my headphone experience has been born from having a family and not being able to enjoy a home stereo system at loud volumes so switched to a headphone based approach that has took me many years to perfect.

For reference my home audio system previously included a pair of AVI ADM active speakers with their corresponding sub. It was clean & powerful with wonderful imaging and offered a real sense of scale and authority that I truly loved.

But then with the arrival of a family the ability to play loud at ear splitting levels became impossible so I began to experiment with headphones, dacs and their respective amplifiers. After many years of Sennheiser, Shure, Sony, Denon, Audeze I finally stumbled on, for what of a better word, the Aeon 2C’s.

Currently I have them paired with an RME ADI-2 DAC fs and the combination is the closest I have come to the AVI ADM pairing I had. I also have an Xduoo XD-05 Plus that I use when on the road but find it a little bloated compared to the ADI-2. I’d go as far to say I don’t like the XD-05 that much but it seems to be a popular product.

To qualify and quantify the sound quality I am currently listening to the Beetle’s Eleanor Rigby and this really highlights the Aeons’ strengths. The pin point instrument positioning within the soundstage is stunning: violins are top left and have the bite and intensity Martin & McCartney wanted on the track; lead vocals are centre and clean and when the vocal extends to both far left and right and then back to centre the Aeon’s handle this with such ease; cello is bottom right and extends as you would expect. You get a real sense of scale and speed to the song with all transients handled so well. It sounds stunning!

The thing with these headphones is that you often forget they are on your head. How can something so light sound so good? I should add that I chose the closed version as my other half doesn’t care to listen to what I’m playing which is the main reason going from open to closed. I also keep tapping the sides of them to make sure they are actually closed – a true testament to how great they really are.

When I auditioned the Aeon’s I pitted them against the Focal Elgia’s and I much preferred the tones from the Aeon’s. They just sound right compared to the Focal offering and to all other headphone I have l owned and listened to.

So that’s my take on these remarkable headphones!

PS – Apologies for any grammatical errors – I’m currently on my third gin and tonic and I’m truly lost in the sound!

Aug 29, 2020 at 3:02 AM Post #1,539 of 2,052
Paid for an Aeon 2 Closed through their dealer in India. Should have been shipped by now, but will probably take a few weeks to arrive. Am upgrading from the Oppo PM-3 like quite a few on this thread - their pleather was disintegrating to powder.

I have been using the SMSL M500 at home and the Oppo HA-2 on the go. The M500 output is 570mW at 32Ω (Dont have a number for 16Ω). Does that seem enough for this headphone? The HA-2 is only 300mW for 16Ω.

Aug 29, 2020 at 3:56 AM Post #1,540 of 2,052
Here is a new test of the AEON2c from a German IT tester! Tested with Burson 3XP! You can translate it with DeepL.

Enjoy reading it!

https://www.mactechnews.de/news/art...r-Ear-Kopfhoerer-als-Rauschmittel-175776.html

Conclusion: Perhaps the best closed headphones under 1.000 Euro
The Dan Clark Audio Aeon2 represents a new generation of closed headphones without the annoying isolation feeling. So far, there are not many competitors in this field and in this price range who can hold their own in this area. In addition, it is superbly manufactured, light, looks classy, is very comfortable to wear, is comparatively compact for a passive, magnetostatic over-ear, suitable for mobile use and - last but not least - affordable.

Its sonic neutrality combined with its versatile usability makes the Aeon2 not only interesting for audiophile gourmets who do not want to compromise on sound when travelling. Musicians and producers should also listen to these headphones. A top studio headphone!

Aug 29, 2020 at 3:47 PM Post #1,541 of 2,052
Hi all,

I don’t normally post online reviews but feel compelled with regards to the Aeon 2C’s.

To give a little background my headphone experience has been born from having a family and not being able to enjoy a home stereo system at loud volumes so switched to a headphone based approach that has took me many years to perfect.

For reference my home audio system previously included a pair of AVI ADM active speakers with their corresponding sub. It was clean & powerful with wonderful imaging and offered a real sense of scale and authority that I truly loved.

But then with the arrival of a family the ability to play loud at ear splitting levels became impossible so I began to experiment with headphones, dacs and their respective amplifiers. After many years of Sennheiser, Shure, Sony, Denon, Audeze I finally stumbled on, for what of a better word, the Aeon 2C’s.

Currently I have them paired with an RME ADI-2 DAC fs and the combination is the closest I have come to the AVI ADM pairing I had. I also have an Xduoo XD-05 Plus that I use when on the road but find it a little bloated compared to the ADI-2. I’d go as far to say I don’t like the XD-05 that much but it seems to be a popular product.

To qualify and quantify the sound quality I am currently listening to the Beetle’s Eleanor Rigby and this really highlights the Aeons’ strengths. The pin point instrument positioning within the soundstage is stunning: violins are top left and have the bite and intensity Martin & McCartney wanted on the track; lead vocals are centre and clean and when the vocal extends to both far left and right and then back to centre the Aeon’s handle this with such ease; cello is bottom right and extends as you would expect. You get a real sense of scale and speed to the song with all transients handled so well. It sounds stunning!

The thing with these headphones is that you often forget they are on your head. How can something so light sound so good? I should add that I chose the closed version as my other half doesn’t care to listen to what I’m playing which is the main reason going from open to closed. I also keep tapping the sides of them to make sure they are actually closed – a true testament to how great they really are.

When I auditioned the Aeon’s I pitted them against the Focal Elgia’s and I much preferred the tones from the Aeon’s. They just sound right compared to the Focal offering and to all other headphone I have l owned and listened to.

So that’s my take on these remarkable headphones!

PS – Apologies for any grammatical errors – I’m currently on my third gin and tonic and I’m truly lost in the sound!
I like the Elegia (I have one myself), but the AEON 2 Closed has a signature that is more suited to my tastes; thus, it is also the headphone that I prefer. Plus, they are more comfortable to use for extended listening sessions.

Enjoy your headphones! :)

Aug 30, 2020 at 2:43 PM Post #1,542 of 2,052
I like the Elegia (I have one myself), but the AEON 2 Closed has a signature that is more suited to my tastes; thus, it is also the headphone that I prefer. Plus, they are more comfortable to use for extended listening sessions.

Enjoy your headphones! :)
I think that’s something that Dan has really nailed with these headphones.
They are so comfortable and the sound signature can be tuned to allow for marathon sessions or more clarity. It really allows to get lost in the music and that’s the beauty of music in the end.

Aug 31, 2020 at 2:47 PM Post #1,543 of 2,052
I think that’s something that Dan has really nailed with these headphones.
They are so comfortable and the sound signature can be tuned to allow for marathon sessions or more clarity. It really allows to get lost in the music and that’s the beauty of music in the end.
I fully agree. As we speak, I've been listening on my AEON 2 Closed for the last 2 hours, and I haven't really noticed that they're there; the music is just playing, and I'm enjoying my tunes. :)

With that said, about the only thing that's slightly bothersome about the whole package is the stock cable; it's a little rigid and unwieldy. It's not as bad as the Elegia's terrible cable, really, but it's certainly at the lower half of the comfort scale.

Sep 2, 2020 at 2:11 AM Post #1,545 of 2,052
I find the stock cable a little too microphonic for what is a premium product. Yes there is the better cable you can purchase but I'm sceptical that it would upgrade the SQ.
I'm not a huge believer in cables upgrades; I have tested a lot throughout the years, and the greatest differences are minor, at best. I change my cables solely for comfort and aesthetic purposes. In this instance, I think that a lighter and more supple cable would do wonders for comfort when listening with the AEON 2 Closed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back