The New AEON 2: It's The End Of MrSpeakers
Jul 15, 2020 at 4:08 AM Post #1,456 of 2,052
Does anyone have a suggestion for a good DAP that drives the aeon 2 well and makes it sound good? I am thinking of a truly portable setup to be independent of my desktop. It seems that Hiby R6 pro, Fiio M11 pro/M15, and QLS QA361 have more than enough juice for it. Wonder if anyone personally experiences any of these DAPs or others with the Aeon?

Jul 15, 2020 at 1:42 PM Post #1,457 of 2,052
@mrspeakers
Hi Dan,

New fan here, who's recently dipped back into his love of audio like a recovering audiophile.lol Been reading through this thread to try to get the best out of my A2C whilst keeping a simple setup. I even ditched my iPhone for an LG V60 to escape dongle life for SQ. Curious, have you had a chance to try out the Asgard 3? Trying to decide between it or the Gilmore Lite Mk2 that you had mentioned for a nightstand setup to use with the ESS dac coming out of the LG. My music tastes are pretty all over the place, but prioritize music moving me versus needing to hear the sweat drop off the singer's chin during the recording session. Hah

Also, thanks for making such an amazing product that I can carry with me without sacrificing on SQ. Sue Reagan has been awesome to work with as well. It's pretty amazing to find a company that makes an awesome product without skimping on materials and customer service. I know there's no such thing as the perfect headphone, but yours is damn near perfect especially given all the tuning options.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2020 at 12:57 AM Post #1,458 of 2,052
Hi guys, forgive me from not having read the previous 93 pages. I've just received the Aeon 2 closed-back on demo and wanted to ask advice on its tonal balance as my first impressions are that it's rather bass shy. This came as a bit of a surprise to me as the frequency response measurements I've seen on the web suggest it is essentially flat to below 20Hz. It sounds very lean out of an AudioQuest Dragonfly Cobalt, which perhaps isn't surprising given the Dragonfly's current supply limitations, but even with a high-powered amp like the Schiit Jotunhiem there still isn't the weight and punch I was expecting from a closed-back headphone. I'm just wondering if what I'm hearing is consistent with the Aeon 2 closed's tuning or if perhaps I received a unit that isn't representative? On the plus side it does sound spectacularly spacious, open and airy in the mid and upper frequencies. Indeed it reminds me in many ways of the HD800S which is a remarkable achievement for a closed-back headphone at any price point!
I've had my Aeon 2 Closed for a few weeks now. I don't find it to be bass shy, nor does it over-emphasize the bass. I find it quite neutral. I'm not using any of the tuning pads. I mainly drive it with a Sony TA-ZH1ES headphone amp, which seems to have plenty of clean power for this headphone.

Jul 16, 2020 at 1:03 AM Post #1,459 of 2,052
Does anyone have a suggestion for a good DAP that drives the aeon 2 well and makes it sound good? I am thinking of a truly portable setup to be independent of my desktop. It seems that Hiby R6 pro, Fiio M11 pro/M15, and QLS QA361 have more than enough juice for it. Wonder if anyone personally experiences any of these DAPs or others with the Aeon?
I'm using an Aeon 2 with my Sony NW-WM1A Walkman and they sound great together. The Sony has enough power without switching to hi-gain.

Jul 16, 2020 at 5:33 AM Post #1,460 of 2,052
I've had my Aeon 2 Closed for a few weeks now. I don't find it to be bass shy, nor does it over-emphasize the bass. I find it quite neutral. I'm not using any of the tuning pads. I mainly drive it with a Sony TA-ZH1ES headphone amp, which seems to have plenty of clean power for this headphone.
Yes, my previous comments no longer apply after adjusting the height of the earcups upwards, - it seems there must have been a small break in the seal between the ear pads and my jawline that caused a significant loss of bass. I now find A2C to have very satisfying low end impact and extension that open-backs cannot compete with (or at least the open-backs I've heard).

Jul 18, 2020 at 8:50 PM Post #1,463 of 2,052
I have a question about optional DUM cable (I have Aeon 2C).
Does it make any changes in sound? If so what excactly? Anyone has experience with it?
The DUM cable is standard with the Aeon 2.

The upgrade cable is the "VIVO super premium cable" at $299.99.

If that sounds attractive to you, please contact me. I have some fantastic Real Estate deals awaiting you.

Jul 18, 2020 at 9:24 PM Post #1,464 of 2,052
I have a question about optional DUM cable (I have Aeon 2C).
Does it make any changes in sound? If so what excactly? Anyone has experience with it?
The DUMMER cable is the stock cable for the Aeon 2C. The optional upgrade is the VIVO cable, which does indeed improve the sound of the Aeon 2. I think the VIVO cable was worth the cost. I can use it with any of my Dan Clark headphones: Aeon 2C, Aeon 2O, and Ether 2.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2020 at 2:35 AM Post #1,465 of 2,052
I chose the 4.4mm VIVO as an upgrade in lieu of the DUM cable and have really enjoyed it. It fits in the case (XLR issue avoided), I can use adaptors if the device I’m using only has a single ended jack, and most importantly, I can use balanced connections because the A2Cs love them some power. If the 4.4mm termination was offered in the DUM cable, I would have gone for that. In spite of the cost, I’m glad that I have the upgrade cable rather than spending even more money to then get an additional cable and figuring out what to do with the other cable. If you’re deciding to upgrade or not, hopefully my experience will help you with your decision.

Jul 19, 2020 at 3:01 AM Post #1,466 of 2,052
I chose the 4.4mm VIVO as an upgrade in lieu of the DUM cable and have really enjoyed it. It fits in the case (XLR issue avoided), I can use adaptors if the device I’m using only has a single ended jack, and most importantly, I can use balanced connections because the A2Cs love them some power. If the 4.4mm termination was offered in the DUM cable, I would have gone for that. In spite of the cost, I’m glad that I have the upgrade cable rather than spending even more money to then get an additional cable and figuring out what to do with the other cable. If you’re deciding to upgrade or not, hopefully my experience will help you with your decision.

So what does the upgraded cable do with the sound? Also what type of cable is it? (silver, copper, gold, .... )

Jul 19, 2020 at 4:23 AM Post #1,467 of 2,052
I don't know how much better it makes the sound, but I can vouch for the VIVO being one of the nicest, most get out of your way type cables. And just for that, I preferred it over more expensive but heavier and stiffer cables. I had it with my Ether 2, wish it came standard with the Aeon2 as well. $300 seems a bit steep for it. $150 would have been the ideal price for me.

Jul 19, 2020 at 6:02 AM Post #1,468 of 2,052
Not to be pedantic, but hasn't the DUM cable been discontinued? According to DCA website, A2C comes with the DUMMER cable as standard, which you can upgrade to VIVO at extra cost. I no longer see the DUM cable, which used to be the upgrade over the DUMMER cable, listed as an upgrade option.

Jul 19, 2020 at 6:44 AM Post #1,469 of 2,052
I
So what does the upgraded cable do with the sound? Also what type of cable is it? (silver, copper, gold, .... )
have no comparison regarding the sound, because the upgrade substitutes the stock cable. As you might have noticed the information was mainly about connectivity rather than sound.

Jul 19, 2020 at 6:45 AM Post #1,470 of 2,052
Not to be pedantic, but hasn't the DUM cable been discontinued? According to DCA website, A2C comes with the DUMMER cable as standard, which you can upgrade to VIVO at extra cost. I no longer see the DUM cable, which used to be the upgrade over the DUMMER cable, listed as an upgrade option.
Thanks for the clarification.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back