The New AEON 2: It's The End Of MrSpeakers
Jul 9, 2020 at 6:28 PM Post #1,441 of 2,052
Given how much power it has, it should!

Much appreciated! And even thought this is not really as important as sound performance, I also think it looks nice :beerchug:

I definitely look forward to trying the Pro iCan!
I need a solid state and OTL tube solution.

Ifi doesn’t disappoint!

Jul 9, 2020 at 6:40 PM Post #1,442 of 2,052
iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jul 10, 2020 at 12:41 AM Post #1,443 of 2,052
Guys, when I put the cable in this slot in the pouch, I find it a little too tight to close the pouch completely. Will this extra press on the headphone potentially damage it? My guess is no since the carriage is designed this way, but wonder what's your experience.

20200710_123835.jpg

Jul 10, 2020 at 8:07 AM Post #1,444 of 2,052
It turns out that even Jotunheim's single-ended output (2.5wpc @ 16Ω) isn't enough to hear satisfying bass from A2C. There is a marked difference when I switch to its balanced output (7.5wpc @ 16Ω), now I can hear the bass slam and extension that the A2C's frequency response graph promises! I also no longer have as much urge to shelf down the high frequencies, it's still very crisp and airy but now that the low end is more present, the overall tonality is better balanced.

Swapping over to the Mjolnir 2's balanced output, which is spec'd as 8wpc @ 32Ω (I don't know how much power it has @ 16Ω), reveals Jotunheim's shortcomings, particularly its compact soundstage and the steely edge and splashiness of its treble. Mjolnir 2 with the vintage Siemens PCC88 1963 tubes I'm running is smoother, more resolving and nuanced in its top end, and a headphone as revealing as the A2C makes this obvious. Mjolnir 2's wider, more spacious and layered soundstage also reveals just how 'open' the A2C sounds, its openness is pretty astonishing for a closed-back headphone!

I've noticed that music that does not contain much sub-bass content, e.g. acoustic or classic rock, has a tendency to sound a bit thin and lack some body/warmth. I suspect this is due to the dipped frequency response between 150Hz-300Hz. On the plus side it does make for very clean and separated imaging as there is no bleed between the upper-bass and lower-mids, but if I'm nit-picking I'd probably prefer a little more output in this area. An issue that's easily solved with parametric EQ I guess...

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2020 at 10:12 AM Post #1,445 of 2,052
It turns out that even Jotunheim's single-ended output (2.5wpc @ 16Ω) isn't enough to hear satisfying bass from A2C. There is a marked difference when I switch to its balanced output (7.5wpc @ 16Ω), now I can hear the bass slam and extension that the A2C's frequency response graph promises! I also no longer have as much urge to shelf down the high frequencies, it's still very crisp and airy but now that the low end is more present, the overall tonality is better balanced.

Swapping over to the Mjolnir 2's balanced output, which is spec'd as 8wpc @ 32Ω (I don't know how much power it has @ 16Ω), reveals Jotunheim's shortcomings, particularly its compact soundstage and the steely edge and splashiness of its treble. Mjolnir 2 with the vintage Siemens PCC88 1963 tubes I'm running is smoother, more resolving and nuanced in its top end, and a headphone as revealing as the A2C makes this obvious. Mjolnir 2's wider, more spacious and layered soundstage also reveals just how 'open' the A2C sounds, its openness is pretty astonishing for a closed-back headphone!

I've noticed that music that does not contain much sub-bass content, e.g. acoustic or classic rock, has a tendency to sound a bit thin and lack some body/warmth. I suspect this is due to the dipped frequency response between 150Hz-300Hz. On the plus side it does make for very clean and separated imaging as there is no bleed between the upper-bass and lower-mids, but if I'm nit-picking I'd probably prefer a little more output in this area. An issue that's easily solved with parametric EQ I guess...
I had the same feeling with my Mjolnir 1 and AFC1. Seems the Mjolnir amps are lusher regardless of the tubes in the Mjolnir 2 gain section. The AFO1 in my case really is different in that it fills that mids to bass region with substantial warmth vs the AFC1.

A fellow local head-fi-er, to whom I loaned both the amp (Mjolnir 1) and headphone (AFC1 and AFO1), is using the Audio-gd NFB6 (discontinued), and says that Audio-gd house sound synergizes best with the Aeons.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2020 at 12:09 PM Post #1,446 of 2,052
I had the same feeling with my Mjolnir 1 and AFC1. Seems the Mjolnir amps are lusher regardless of the tubes in the Mjolnir 2 gain section. The AFO1 in my case really is different in that it fills that mids to bass region with substantial warmth vs the AFC1.

A fellow local head-fi-er, to whom I loaned both the amp (Mjolnir 1) and headphone (AFC1 and AFO1), is using the Audio-gd NFB6 (discontinued), and says that Audio-gd house sound synergizes best with the Aeons.
To elaborate further, I find the bass impact and extension stronger in the Jotunheim, but everything just sounds congested/compressed/claustrophobic compared to Mjolnir 2. I notice this on my other headphones too, especially HD600 etc which already have a claustrophobic soundstage to begin with. Everything just sounds more open, relaxed and unforced with the Mjolnir 2; instruments have more space around them and you can hear deeper into the soundstage. Dynamics sound more natural too, especially in the midrange. Subjectively I hear the Jotunheim as having a slight V-shaped tuning with recessed mids compared to Mjolnir 2. I suspect Jotunheim's congested soundstage and more edgy/splashy treble contributes to this impression.

It's funny, because when I first got my Mjolnir 2 two or three years ago, I was underwhelmed with its performance with the stock tubes and wish I'd kept hold of my Valhalla tube amp. Until I replaced the Mjolnir 2 stock tubes with the Siemens I actually preferred the Jotunheim!

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2020 at 2:41 PM Post #1,447 of 2,052
Does anyone have a Hifiman Ananda, and can compare it to the Aeon 2 closed? I know it's open vs closed, apples and oranges a bit, but at a similar price point I'd like to know what the trade offs are.

Jul 10, 2020 at 5:35 PM Post #1,448 of 2,052
Guys, when I put the cable in this slot in the pouch, I find it a little too tight to close the pouch completely. Will this extra press on the headphone potentially damage it? My guess is no since the carriage is designed this way, but wonder what's your experience.

It shouldn't do anything bad to them. The net keeps all scratches away as well, so I wouldn't worry if I were you.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jul 10, 2020 at 7:52 PM Post #1,449 of 2,052
A further update:

Tonight I experimented with the headband's ear cup height adjustment, as I found that I was losing a lot of bass when I turned my head left or right, or when I opened my mouth or flexed my jaw, etc. I previously had the height set so that the top inside edge of the pad was almost touching the top of my pinnae, but now I have it set so that the bottom inside edge of the pad is almost touching the bottom of my lobe.

Raising the height of the ear cups has had a huge effect on the headphone's tonal balance, genuinely huge. The lower mids and upper bass now sound fuller, and the mid-to-low bass not only has more slam but also much more richness and warmth. In fact I can no longer hear a dip in the upper bass. The treble seems to have reduced / rolled-off some as well. I'm not sure if the treble reduction is an actual reduction or if I'm just getting this impression because the bass and lower mids are now louder. Also, now when I flex my jaw or turn my head to the side, the reduction in bass is much less noticeable than it was before. This all suggests that I wasn't achieving a perfect seal with the earcups at their previous lower height. It's hard to believe given how thick and plush the ear pads are, but I guess there's no accounting for listeners with narrow, bony heads and scrawny necks! :wink:.

I'm curious to know what height other A2C users have their earcups set at. Do you have it centred so that the pad sits over your ear with equidistant spacing all around it, or do you have it set higher or lower?

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2020 at 8:10 PM Post #1,450 of 2,052
A further update:

Tonight I experimented with the headband's ear cup height adjustment, as I found that I was losing a lot of bass when I turned my head left or right, or when I opened my mouth or flexed my jaw, etc. I previously had the height set so that the top inside edge of the pad was almost touching the top of my pinnae, but now I have it set so that the bottom inside edge of the pad is almost touching the bottom of my lobe.

Raising the height of the ear cups has had a huge effect on the headphone's tonal balance, genuinely huge. The lower mids and upper bass now sound fuller, and the mid-to-low bass not only has more slam but also much more richness and warmth. In fact I can no longer hear a dip in the upper bass. The treble seems to have reduced / rolled-off some as well. I'm not sure if the treble reduction is an actual reduction or if I'm just getting this impression because the bass and lower mids are now louder. Also, now when I flex my jaw or turn my head to the side, the reduction in bass is much less noticeable than it was before. This all suggests that I wasn't achieving a perfect seal with the earcups at their previous lower height. It's hard to believe given how thick and plush the ear pads are, but I guess there's no accounting for listeners with narrow, bony heads and scrawny necks! :wink:.

I'm curious to know what height other A2C users have their earcups set at. Do you have it centred so that the pad sits over your ear with equidistant spacing all around it, or do you have it set higher or lower?

Interesting, since ear canal is below middle point of the ear, what you did should push your ear canal further from center of the driver. I personally have always found this to be undesirable with other headphone with large cup such as HD800s. With A2C it's only big enough for my ear, that I have little room to move anyway, so couldn't test it. My guess would be it gives a better seal in your case?

Jul 10, 2020 at 11:01 PM Post #1,451 of 2,052

20200710_123835.jpg
You'll depress the foam and pleather of the pads. The pads can be reformed, DCA has a video on the process.

I use a separate soft bag for my cord(s). To each his own.

Jul 11, 2020 at 12:20 PM Post #1,452 of 2,052
I also keep the cables seperate as the cables presses quite hard into the pads if it is in the case.

Jul 11, 2020 at 1:36 PM Post #1,453 of 2,052
I’m considering getting the closed ones to go with my hugo 2 to listen to metal and electronic music. Are these headphones good with the Hugo and metal?
I’ve found the A2C’s to be power hungry. Fortunately, I decided to go with 4.4mm balanced upgrade cables. Regarding the sound, I’ve found using an R6Pro more to my liking than using a Hugo 2. The R6Pro has been commented on as having a bit of rolled off treble and I agree with this assessment. The benefit here is that with an R6Pro, you don’t need to use filters. Another benefit is that this is a very portable pair. The A2CS get a decent amount of power to bring the bass, but highs are tamed. The A2Cs bring much needed separation and detail retrieval. Using a Hugo 2, you really need to push the volume and the highs get a bit fatiguing. I didn’t hear a strong enough difference in sound to give up the portability of the A2C/R6Pro combo.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2020 at 7:04 PM Post #1,454 of 2,052
Physiology, and psychology. I will often pick the music to listen to while I work based on an examination of how I'm feeling at the time, with the goal of "taking care of the inner self" so that I can enjoy my work.

But the thing that makes the greatest difference, IMHO, is not the technology, or the driver, or the cable, or the DAC, or the amp ... the greatest difference is in comfort. If the headphones are comfortable, only then do the rest of the benefits come through. So making the headphones fit well, not pinch, not slide, not weigh down, etc. is the equivalent of "getting on base" in baseball. And strangely, there are some really expensive headphones that just aren't comfortable at all.

I usually listen at a super low volume (I like my ears). But with good headphones and a good amp, you can listen at a very low volume level and still get great detail. Yesterday, I was working (listening on my Ether C's), and a great Aretha Franklin piece came on, and the beauty of her voice coming through was like an emotional punch. (And of course I turned up the volume a bit for that one.)

I always say comfort is essential to a good experience. In the same way a miserable seat is a constant distraction at a concert, an uncomfortable fit distracts from a headphone experience, and if you have to take the headphone off due to comfort well....

Be sure the metal parts are 100% in the pouch, it's designed to allow for some expansion when the inside compresses. I wouldn't do it with the XLR but all other cables fit just fine...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jul 15, 2020 at 4:02 AM Post #1,455 of 2,052
I always say comfort is essential to a good experience. In the same way a miserable seat is a constant distraction at a concert, an uncomfortable fit distracts from a headphone experience, and if you have to take the headphone off due to comfort well....

Be sure the metal parts are 100% in the pouch, it's designed to allow for some expansion when the inside compresses. I wouldn't do it with the XLR but all other cables fit just fine...

Thanks Dan. I am planning to customize a silver cable for my Aeon 2. Which types are the L-R connectors on it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back