The New AEON 2: It's The End Of MrSpeakers
Jun 13, 2020 at 10:00 AM Post #1,351 of 2,052
Hey all. Have been considering an Aeon 2 Open as my first real upgrade from the HD600. Has anyone here heard and compared the two?

Mainly wondering if the Aeon 2 Open retains the HD600's natural tonality while fixing some of the common gripes (bass rolloff, lack of soundstage, slight edge in the upper mids).

Tyll noted in his review that the original Aeon Opens reminded him a lot of the HD600s. =D

My first pair of headphones were the HD660s then a quick jump to the Hifiman Sundara then immediately into Aeon2 Open.

Right off the bat they’re going to sound quite different especially if you haven’t tried a planar yet.

I prefer the texture and bass extension on the A2O. It’s a more energetic headphone with great detail and a full, warmish sound and can really thump with certain genres or EQing compared to HD

The treble is pleasant not at all sibilant but at times my ears were adjusting from the Sennheiser “veil” that makes them very smooth but kind of boring.

The only upper hand the HD660s have are their low and high mids in some vocal heavy genres in but versus The A2O the rest comes off as veiled or muffled to my ears.

It’s a worth while jump IME just remember planars can be harder to drive.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2020 at 9:44 PM Post #1,352 of 2,052
...then a quick jump to the Hifiman Sundara then immediately into Aeon2 Open....

What are your thoughts on the A2O vs the Sundara? Any commentary of the differences between their sound signature? I currently have the HE-400 and trying to pick my next open back upgrade.

Edit: also considering the 800s

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2020 at 11:19 PM Post #1,353 of 2,052
Any glasses users out there? How essential is the seal on the aeon 2 closed? Quite a few impressions I’ve read say the seal is essential for the old aeons, ether and ether 2. Tried the Elegia and it was an absolutely no go.

Jun 15, 2020 at 1:04 AM Post #1,354 of 2,052
What are your thoughts on the A2O vs the Sundara? Any commentary of the differences between their sound signature? I currently have the HE-400 and trying to pick my next open back upgrade.

Edit: also considering the 800s

I probably don’t have enough exposure to planars to give you a super detailed explanation but the A2O sound like a fuller bodied, warmer Sundara to my ear.

The treble is a bit rolled off or tamed compared to the Sundara but not at all veiled like say HD series.

I can’t really say too much about mids between the two... I perhaps didn’t spend enough time A/Bing them but...

The low end of the A2O has a fuller sound. It’s warm, it thumps and reacts to EQing (using my IFI Micro Bl with X-bass on but sometimes I prefer no EQ) with sensitivity compared to the Sundara that also thumps but definitely relies more on the recording at the time and I found myself having the X bass on all the time with the Sundara.

Does this mean the A2O are perhaps colored in the lower mids/bass section?

Not sure, but they sound like a Sundara with the missing low end, pleasant treble and just as much if not more detail retrieval than the Hifiman.

It’s also almost twice the price and so far worth it to me because when I put them on I just enjoy how musical everything is.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2020 at 6:46 PM Post #1,355 of 2,052
Any glasses users out there? How essential is the seal on the aeon 2 closed? Quite a few impressions I’ve read say the seal is essential for the old aeons, ether and ether 2. Tried the Elegia and it was an absolutely no go.
This is interesting I have regular plastic glasses and I never had an issues, I honestly don’t hear the difference with or without - but I know some do😳 but the recommendation is the thinner the better.

Jun 15, 2020 at 7:08 PM Post #1,356 of 2,052
I can't say for the closed backs but I wear glasses with the open backs it doesn't seem to make any difference. I tried them without it and couldn't hear any real change. My guess is that the earpads are sealing around the glasses as they get worn in but ymmv of course.

There were some measurements on a newer review site that said the bass region would drop by 4-5db if the seal was compromised in the open backs but I definitely don't hear that significant a difference. Worst case scenario you can always eq the bass up if you are having issues with seal.

Jun 16, 2020 at 10:28 AM Post #1,357 of 2,052
On some records, with Chord Hugo I hear a quiet treble crunch on my Aeons 2. I doubt that hair could get on the membrane. Has anyone noticed this? I remember the same effect on my DT770s. Maybe it's because of the outstanding treble extension?

Jun 16, 2020 at 11:16 AM Post #1,358 of 2,052
On some records, with Chord Hugo I hear a quiet treble crunch on my Aeons 2. I doubt that hair could get on the membrane. Has anyone noticed this? I remember the same effect on my DT770s. Maybe it's because of the outstanding treble extension?
Like sibilant voices? Or distortion like in electric guitars? Maybe you can link the song / video.

I've the Hugo 1 too, can you share some general impressions with the Aeon 2? Do you have Aeon 2 Open or Closed?

Jun 16, 2020 at 3:51 PM Post #1,359 of 2,052

Generally if your glasses have a thin frame and lie flat to the face as they come off the top of the ear your seal should be fine. If the glasses are thick and especially if they arc outwards from the face as soon as they leave the ear you'll lose the seal and that rolls off bass. I wear reading glasses with a relatively thin arm and a flat "lay" and don't have an issue, but if glasses do interfere with the seal we suggest you put the headphones on first and then tuck the arms of the glasses into the top of the earpad rather than resting on the ear, and that allows for a full seal while keeping the glasses properly oriented.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jun 17, 2020 at 5:55 PM Post #1,360 of 2,052
Generally if your glasses have a thin frame and lie flat to the face as they come off the top of the ear your seal should be fine. If the glasses are thick and especially if they arc outwards from the face as soon as they leave the ear you'll lose the seal and that rolls off bass. I wear reading glasses with a relatively thin arm and a flat "lay" and don't have an issue, but if glasses do interfere with the seal we suggest you put the headphones on first and then tuck the arms of the glasses into the top of the earpad rather than resting on the ear, and that allows for a full seal while keeping the glasses properly oriented.

I'll add to this that many current glasses styles have a plastic bit at the end of the arm which goes behind the ear that is a touch bulbous. This can cause discomfort from being pressed behind your ear by the pads.

Resolving this with my next pair of glasses. That's how much I love my AFC2.

Jun 17, 2020 at 6:33 PM Post #1,361 of 2,052
I'll add to this that many current glasses styles have a plastic bit at the end of the arm which goes behind the ear that is a touch bulbous. This can cause discomfort from being pressed behind your ear by the pads.

Resolving this with my next pair of glasses. That's how much I love my AFC2.
Maybe DCA should offer a discount if you get LASIK just to make the Aeons more comfortable.

Jun 17, 2020 at 6:47 PM Post #1,362 of 2,052
if you get LASIK

If anyone considers LASIK I would recommend LASEK or TransPRK, even if healing takes longer. Also definitely not traditional LASIK but Femto-LASIK.

Very important to take pupil size and Wavefront measurements into consideration to keep the risk low of unwanted side-effects.

OR just get contact lenses. Modern silicon hydrogel lenses tend to be very well received by most people even if they have a tendency for dry eyes.

Jun 19, 2020 at 12:37 PM Post #1,363 of 2,052
Maybe DCA should offer a discount if you get LASIK just to make the Aeons more comfortable.

Funny enough I had LASIK (prolate, wavefront, laser incision) about 5 years ago when I was at -8.5 and -8 in OS/OD which is right at the treatment threshold for that particular laser. I worked at the LASIK center and got it as an employment bonus.

Just recently had to get glasses again. Don't want to have to go through the recovery of PRK or loose my close up vision due to the correction.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2020 at 2:48 PM Post #1,364 of 2,052
Hey folks, I put together a short video with a few tips on getting the best fit from your headphones... If you're curious it's here.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jun 25, 2020 at 10:27 PM Post #1,365 of 2,052
Hello all. Just wanted to follow up. I was the guy that asked about the glasses a few posts back and sparked the lasik jokes. I purchased a pair of Aeon 2 closed. Just received them and I am still in the honeymoon period and will refrain from any detailed sound impressions at this time.

I will say however that the Aeon 2 sound much better than the Elegia for me. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that despite having plastic frames the seal from the Aeon 2 is much better. Having never held a DCA/Mr. Speakers headphone in my hand before the build quality, comfort and light weight is already impressing me. I was also shocked at the size of the case. I expected it to be small but looking at it on top of my four other cases of my collection it's so tiny.

Thanks to Dan and those that replied.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back