The New AEON 2: It's The End Of MrSpeakers
Mar 22, 2020 at 3:19 AM Post #1,097 of 2,052
I would go with the Gilmore myself, but I would say, if you want to control the treble, go with the Gilmore. If you want to nerf it, go with the Lyr.
When I don't listen to my A2O with a hybrid amp, I use my JDS Atom most often. I can't explain it, it could be just me but I believe they're meant to be a pair.
Thanks guys. Any tube recommendations in case I go for the Lyr?

Also, Bob whose namesake went to the same secondary school as me, what Hybrid amps do you have and would they suit my needs at all?

Mar 22, 2020 at 5:37 AM Post #1,099 of 2,052
I enjoy my A2O with my Ember 2 or xDuoo TA-10 (which also has a very good DAC). Before I bought my Bottlehead Crack, I used the amps with a pair of HD6XX. I also pair them in rotation with my LCD-2 and Fidelio X2. I keep a Sylvania 6SN7GTB in the Ember and a Raytheon 5814 in the TA-10. These are not overly expensive exotic tubes which I like a lot. NOS Tungsram 12AU7 is another nice balanced tube which I use in my Bottlehead Crack.

Mar 22, 2020 at 5:46 AM Post #1,100 of 2,052
I enjoy my A2O with my Ember 2 or xDuoo TA-10 (which also has a very good DAC). Before I bought my Bottlehead Crack, I used the amps with a pair of HD6XX. I also pair them in rotation with my LCD-2 and Fidelio X2. I keep a Sylvania 6SN7GTB in the Ember and a Raytheon 5814 in the TA-10. These are not overly expensive exotic tubes which I like a lot. NOS Tungsram 12AU7 is another nice balanced tube which I use in my Bottlehead Crack.
Thank you. The Garage 1217s have also piqued my interest. Did you build the crack or buy it pre-built?

Mar 22, 2020 at 6:13 AM Post #1,102 of 2,052
Going back to the AEON, I guess the question in regards to amps is if one wants to EQ the sound by using tubes or wants a nice transparent SS amp and rely on the provided pads filters to get the preferred tonality. Depending on the music I'm listening, I use both hybrid and SS amps.

Mar 23, 2020 at 11:19 AM Post #1,103 of 2,052
I think I'll be getting a pair of the AFC 2 this week. I have a TH-X00 which I love but man.. if I listen to that thing for more than an hour or so I start to get tired. Also I can't really take them out anywhere. I'll be using it for 50/50 music and gaming. Alas, my question. How does it scale with amps? I currently have a MCTH but I've been eyeing up the Feliks Audio echo. That thing is beautiful. I like a warmer sounding headphone and I was thinking maybe that could bring out a bit more bass.

Mar 24, 2020 at 1:48 AM Post #1,106 of 2,052
Well, I listen to my hd800s (300 ohm) and AFC on the same amplifier (same gain settings) and they both sound at the same volume level or close. So I normally don't adjust the volume when I switch from 800s to AFC.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2020 at 5:46 AM Post #1,107 of 2,052
Maybe this question has been asked before, if so my apologies.

Are you supposed to store the AFC 2 / AFO 2 with the square foam between both drivers? Or is it fine to store the headphones with the pads resting on each other?

Mar 24, 2020 at 11:04 AM Post #1,109 of 2,052
Thanks. I'd like to hear your Elegia vs A2C comparisions as well
Comfort of both are fine. For pure sound quality, I think Elegia is much better. I've never heard such a big SQ difference between two equally priced high end headphones.

I also did a comparison of the Elegia vs the A2C using a song playlist on how they compared with multiple amps. I am not sure of the rules about linking to other forums here so I won’t to be safe unless a moderator gives me approval to do so.

I thought they were both great headphones but very different. I had both in my collection and A/B ‘d them for awhile. I ended up returning the Elegia as keeping the Aeon 2 C. Having two pairs of closed headphones wasn’t ideal for me at this time. I also reached for the A2C 85% of the time but depending on the type of music a person listened to that could go the other way. Everyone hears differently for me @mrspeakers nailed it and the A2C has been awesome for my closed back listening needs and I prefer it to the Elegia.

Last edited:
The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Mar 24, 2020 at 11:09 AM Post #1,110 of 2,052
I also did a comparison of the Elegia vs the A2C using a song playlist on how they compared with multiple amps. I am not sure of the rules about linking to other forums here so I won’t to be safe unless a moderator gives me approval to do so.

I thought they were both great headphones but very different. I had both in my collection and A/B ‘d them for awhile. I ended up returning the Elegia as keeping the Aeon 2 C. Having two pairs of closed headphones wasn’t ideal for me at this time. I also reached for the A2C 85% of the time but depending on the type of music a person listened to that could go the other way.

I just want to way I read your comparison last night and it helped me pull the trigger on the A2C today. It was extremely well written out and helpful. Since I'll only really listen to rock, indie, metal and some pop the A2C seemed like they would be a better fit for me. I'm excited to see how it handles gaming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back