The New AEON 2: It's The End Of MrSpeakers
Mar 21, 2020 at 1:55 AM Post #1,081 of 2,052
The ETHER 2 is the fastest and most resolving planar we make, the diaphragm is quite a bit lighter and that makes for faster response and better detail retrieval. Note that you can sculpt the response with the optional pads, if you want less warmth in the midrange get the perforated pads.
Thank you for your comment Dan. Will try them with perforated pads next time.

Mar 21, 2020 at 2:26 AM Post #1,082 of 2,052
Well. I love a neutral tonality of the 800S / AFC. I use 800S mainly for classic music today. For some really fast and aggressive genres I prefer AFC - I love the bass they produce. It does not mean the the 800S are slow, not at all but I prefer a planar-magnetic bass here. So ideally it should be AFC with all advantages of the open headphones)

The Aeon Flow Open has a lot more mid bass compared with the AFC 1. AFC 2 has more of an AFO-like sound signature with more mid bass boost while retaining sub bass. AFC1 has a pretty unique sound signature and may be hard to find in an open headphone.

I listen to a lot of metal and I'm on the fence about whether AFO 1 or ETHER 2 is better suited for that genre. Both are very fast, but ETHER 2 is very neutral in the bass. The measurements look ruler straight down to 10 Hz and the sub-bass performance is really great for an open-back. Bass performance and clarity are better with ETHER 2 vs. AFO 1. However the V shape of the AFO with a mid-bass emphasis is really fun for metal so in some cases I find tonality winning out over absolute technical prowess.

Since this is the Aeon 2 thread; I'll add that the AFC 2 is an excellent headphone for metal. It sounds more like AFO 1 than AFC 1 in terms of tonality. I heard Aeon 2 Open at CanJam this year and it sounded similar to AFO 1 but with a wider sound stage and better separation.

If you're looking for relatively flat mid-bass ETHER 2 could be a good choice. However the mids seem different on AFC 1 vs. ETHER 2: AFC is very mids-forward while ETHER 2 is a bit laid back in the mids and lower treble if I'm hearing it correctly.

Mar 21, 2020 at 5:24 AM Post #1,083 of 2,052
Hi Dan,

Like qsk78, I am also looking for a planar companion for my HD800S. Accordingly, I have already decided on the Aeon Open 2 and look forward to getting it.
I am also looking to get a new amp. Are you aware of any amps or dac/amps at the 500 or under price point that will pair well with the A2O while also taming the HD800S’s treble and bringing out more of the HD800S’s bass? I’d rather not have to get two separate amps, lol.
Usage would be mostly for movies, non-competitive gaming, EDM and symphonic classical. I generally lean more towards a smooth and rich / full bodied sound rather than a bright, pin-sharp presentation (which begs the question, why the. do I have a HD800S, I know, but I won’t bore you with the details).

Many thanks in advance.
Lyr 3

Mar 21, 2020 at 9:40 AM Post #1,084 of 2,052
Hi Dan,

Like qsk78, I am also looking for a planar companion for my HD800S. Accordingly, I have already decided on the Aeon Open 2 and look forward to getting it.
I am also looking to get a new amp. Are you aware of any amps or dac/amps at the 500 or under price point that will pair well with the A2O while also taming the HD800S’s treble and bringing out more of the HD800S’s bass? I’d rather not have to get two separate amps, lol.
Usage would be mostly for movies, non-competitive gaming, EDM and symphonic classical. I generally lean more towards a smooth and rich / full bodied sound rather than a bright, pin-sharp presentation (which begs the question, why the. do I have a HD800S, I know, but I won’t bore you with the details).

Many thanks in advance.

$500 is a budget price, but Chord Mojo is an excellent pairing and it really sounds far above its price.

Mar 21, 2020 at 11:17 PM Post #1,085 of 2,052
am i weird for liking the 800s on most music? I can listen to them on bassy edm and hip hop and still enjoy them a lot. its very strange, you'd think i wouldnt with its bass response, but it still feels like all the bass i want is there, its a strange feeling. the 800s sound a little like black magic to me.

also the Ether 2 is great, i prefer it over hifiman arya and LCD-X. I definitely would like to try the new aeon 2 series

Mar 21, 2020 at 11:20 PM Post #1,086 of 2,052
am i weird for liking the 800s on most music? I can listen to them on bassy edm and hip hop and still enjoy them a lot. its very strange, you'd think i wouldnt with its bass response, but it still feels like all the bass i want is there, its a strange feeling. the 800s sound a little like black magic to me.

also the Ether 2 is great, i prefer it over hifiman arya and LCD-X. I definitely would like to try the new aeon 2 series
No, you would be wrong if you let other peoples opinions dampen your enjoyment of the HD800's where others don't.

Mar 22, 2020 at 12:55 AM Post #1,089 of 2,052
I see a Gilmore Lite mk2 recommendation in your near future.
Thanks! Was already considering that one!
Thanks! Also in consideration. . . But I have heard that at least with stock tubes, it's more "warm/smooth as far as Schiit goes", rather than warm/smooth in general. Are there any particular tubes you would recommend that would achieve my preferred tonality? Ones that would not be hard to get and would not cost an arm and a leg?
$500 is a budget price, but Chord Mojo is an excellent pairing and it really sounds far above its price.
Thanks. I have heard conflicting reports for the Mojo as to synergy with HD800s in meeting my preferences in tonality. Just to reiterate, you think it would tame the HD800S treble and bring out more bass?
Thanks again.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks again to all of you for your suggestions and help, really appreciate it.

At present, I am considering the following solid states:

- Marantz HD-DAC 1

- Gimore Lite Mk2

and the following tubes:

Feliks Audio Echo

Lyr 3

I have heard planars can be funny with tube amps, particularly 'true' tube amps (which I believe the Echo to be?) rather than hybrids like the Lyr. As a true tube amp does anyone think the Echo be unsuitable for the A2O?

Many thanks again,

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2020 at 1:22 AM Post #1,090 of 2,052
High recommendation for Lyr 3. I've heard it with the HD800s at the Schiit booth at CanJam NYC 2019 and it sounded great with surprisingly meaty bass. I've been using it with AFO 1 and Ether 2 in my system and it sounds great with these headphones. Lyr 3 will give you a soundstage boost vs. Gillmore Lite and planars respond well to the extra power of Lyr 3. The trade off would be slower transients vs. Gillmore Lite. In theory Gillmore Lite should have more bass slam, but I recall the Lyr 3 pulling ahead slightly as well.

Mar 22, 2020 at 1:37 AM Post #1,091 of 2,052
am i weird for liking the 800s on most music?
There is nothing wrong with the 800S's bass. I just prefer a planar-magnetic type of bass with some genres.
To me this is like a dynamic vs balanced armature type of signature if I take IEM category in comparison. But the BA bass is more about what you hear while planar-magnetic is hearing+feeling..

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2020 at 1:39 AM Post #1,092 of 2,052
High recommendation for Lyr 3. I've heard it with the HD800s at the Schiit booth at CanJam NYC 2019 and it sounded great with surprisingly meaty bass. I've been using it with AFO 1 and Ether 2 in my system and it sounds great with these headphones. Lyr 3 will give you a soundstage boost vs. Gillmore Lite and planars respond well to the extra power of Lyr 3. The trade off would be slower transients vs. Gillmore Lite. In theory Gillmore Lite should have more bass slam, but I recall the Lyr 3 pulling ahead slightly as well.
Noted. Thanks for your input! It will tame / smooth the HD800s treble too then? I don't want to have to rely on EQ (to make the HD800S's non-fatiguing) as I currently do now.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2020 at 1:44 AM Post #1,093 of 2,052
Noted. Thanks for your input! It will tame / smooth the HD800s treble too then? I don't want to have to rely on EQ (to make the HD800S's non-fatiguing) as I currently do now.
I would go with the Gilmore myself, but I would say, if you want to control the treble, go with the Gilmore. If you want to nerf it, go with the Lyr.

Mar 22, 2020 at 2:50 AM Post #1,094 of 2,052
When talking about Aeon and hybrid amps like Lyr one should be specific to avoid confusion. Aeons sound quite different depending on the used filters and Lyr's sound should be described in the context of a particular tube. I don't have the Lyr but two other hybrid tube amps.

Gilmore Lite is atypically slow for an SS amp. I can speculate that those used to the HD800 sound signature would like the Aeon with a THX amp like the SP200.

I prefer it with the foam filters for details and a hybrid amp with NOS 12AU7 or 6SN7 tubes which tame the treble. I also like the hybrid amps' interpretation of depth and layering.

Mar 22, 2020 at 2:57 AM Post #1,095 of 2,052
When talking about Aeon and hybrid amps like Lyr one should be specific to avoid confusion. Aeons sound quite different depending on the used filters and Lyr's sound should be described in the context of a particular tube. I don't have the Lyr but two other hybrid tube amps.

Gilmore Lite is atypically slow for an SS amp. I can speculate that those used to the HD800 sound signature would like the Aeon with a THX amp like the SP200.

I prefer it with the foam filters for details and a hybrid amp with NOS 12AU7 or 6SN7 tubes which tame the treble. I also like the hybrid amps' interpretation of depth and layering.
Thanks for you input! I already have the Massdrop THX AAA but I can't use it for the HD800S without EQ, too fatiguing. I *love* the sound stage, layering separation and holography of the HD800S but without EQ it is just too much for me. Even love the bass impact too but without EQ, it's just a bit too quiet while the treble too in my face.

Nonetheless I want to / will keep the HD800S. However, I was actually thinking of selling the THX AAA to a friend who has expressed an interest, in order to contribute towards my A2O and replacement amp funds.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back