The New AEON 2: It's The End Of MrSpeakers
Mar 9, 2020 at 10:49 PM Post #1,066 of 2,052
Yes, this indeed what i was expected. A fun sounding headphone with high-end performance. The mids and treble are much more smoother and consistent now. And the bass is also stronger which is quite nice on songs that have bass. So I am liking this new unit alot more.

With the smoother mids, high quality recordings now sound more in line how it should be (it is still not flat, but it is much better than my previous unit so I will take it like it is) and with the smoother treble I have to be less careful with picking the wrong song.

Thanks for that. I don’t know how to assess flat. Even comparing to a live, unamplified concert (admittedly a rarity for me), the space makes a big difference. Perhaps if I were a musician and could record and replay something I knew absolutely. But what I try to do is maximize the tecnical abilities of equipment and minimize distortion and noise. Then, try to get a sense of if the new piece increases transparency and enjoyment (PRaT and other musical aspects). But overall, I too really enjoy the A2C and find it great as a closed headphone for both travel and around the house use when I need isolation and portability.

Mar 10, 2020 at 7:40 AM Post #1,067 of 2,052
Don't know how to make a proper headphones review, so here is my thought.

After a few days with A2C, I have to say this is a very versatile headphones I've ever used. Aside from great music.SQ, watching movie and playing game is also surprisingly awesome. It pairs really well with Chord Mojo and Dolby Atmos for Windows. Just don't forget to turn it off when switching to listening mode.

Edit: Scratch that Dolby Atmos out.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2020 at 2:58 PM Post #1,068 of 2,052
I debated even responding to such a claim. But you made a comment that could be injurious to my business so I'm going to lay the facts out.

First, you probably heard a difference. It can either be normal tolerance or a defect. What are tolerances?

Tolerances are why speaker makers match drivers, as do headphone makers. I'd think it obvious that if we have to match the parts aren't exactly identical and that some variance is innevitable in a passive analog device. That's why manufacturing is HARD. If you want only exact matches you have to sort parts and destroy large numbers so all manufacturers use tolerances to ensure consistency within a reasonable boundary and maintain rational output levels and price points.

Registered for the forum *just* so I could tell Dan that this epic thread was the deciding factor in me getting the AFO and recently replacing with the A2O -- not because of everyone's opinions, but because of posts like the one above. The amount of time and effort taken to respond to customers throughout 72 pages of a thread, honestly, transparently, and quite helpfully is refreshing. Given the amount of bullsh** hype usually floating around such headphone forums, hearing a voice of sanity and straight talk from the people actually putting these cans together is massively valuable.

:raised_hands::raised_hands::raised_hands:

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2020 at 3:45 PM Post #1,069 of 2,052
Registered for the forum *just* so I could tell Dan that this epic thread was the deciding factor in me getting the AFO and recently replacing with the A2O -- not because of everyone's opinions, but because of posts like the one above. The amount of time and effort taken to respond to customers throughout 72 pages of a thread, honestly, transparently, and quite helpfully is refreshing. Given the amount of bullsh** hype and usually floating around such headphone forums, hearing a voice of sanity and straight talk from the people actually putting these cans together is massively valuable.

Well said!

Mar 11, 2020 at 4:27 PM Post #1,070 of 2,052
Registered for the forum *just* so I could tell Dan that this epic thread was the deciding factor in me getting the AFO and recently replacing with the A2O -- not because of everyone's opinions, but because of posts like the one above. The amount of time and effort taken to respond to customers throughout 72 pages of a thread, honestly, transparently, and quite helpfully is refreshing. Given the amount of bullsh** hype usually floating around such headphone forums, hearing a voice of sanity and straight talk from the people actually putting these cans together is massively valuable.

Well thank you, that's really nice of you! Glad it's helpful...

:)

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Mar 19, 2020 at 1:02 AM Post #1,071 of 2,052
Some context first -- I'm a bit of an outlier on the head-fi boards, because my needs/wants in a pair of cans don't seem to match a lot of what I'm reading around here. I'm a professional mixing/mastering engineer (20yrs) who spends the vast majority of time listening to content on speakers, for long stretches, day/night. I don't want things to radically change when I have to put on cans -- not even when listening recreationally. Extended listening on any system eventually conditions the ears/brain to perceive a new baseline, so I can't afford to have some drastically different experience when I put on my cans, whether I'm "working" or not.

I know the assumption is that "studio people" want their cans to be totally flat in their freq response, but there's no such thing when you're talking about smashing drivers close up against heads, earlobes, and ear canals -- any more than my speakers are totally flat, given all the resonances in a room (which is a goddamn challenge in itself). The cans I've heard that people claim are totally flat sure don't seem like it, and they're not pleasant or helpful to listen to. That said, I have very little tolerance for any amount of "hyping" just for emotional effect. Music done right is exciting enough, I don't want any extra sauce, it only hurts. My ideal cans would be ones that I barely notice they're there, I just go right on hearing what I'm used to hearing.

Which brings me to the first reason why the AEON line wins over 95% of headphones out there (not that I've tried them all, just across everything I've worn): COMFORT!
I don't understand why people aren't making a bigger deal out of this! If you're wearing cans for anything longer than 15mins, it's huge ff*** deal. I don't care how awesome your sound is, if I can't stand the sensation of your cans clamped on my head, if I get a migraine from the pressure of the headband (no matter how cushy) because the cans weigh so much, if my poor stiff ear cartilage is crying in pain -- I won't use them. Full stop. The AEON line is stunningly comfortable, causes me zero discomfort no matter how long I keep them on. This is an amazing feat of engineering, to put such power and impact into a device that has such a light footprint on my head. I think the audiophile community is so used to assuming that in order to have "big sound" you need "big cans" that put a "big dent" in your wallet and the sides of your head. My A2O cans obliterate this assumption.

As for their sound, let's just say for someone whose job is defined by needing to be able to hear everything that's buried in a dense mix, these are a killer tool. Absolutely nothing is hidden or masked, or unable to be reproduced. I would need a high-end subwoofer solution to get this kind of low-freq detail and range and clarity from my studio monitor speakers. Seriously. You'll never fully hear the impact, space and entire tail of an orchestral bass drum on most professional studio monitors, but I could edit such a track easily with these cans. It's like putting subsonic microscopes on your ears.

If anything, I would say even the A2O is a bit too bassy for my tastes -- but there's a huge difference from having a sound system that needs to be nudged a little to have the desired spectrum balance, and a system that is incapable of reproducing the transients/frequencies/space you need to hear. It's just a given in my line of work that you have to tune your speakers/room to get a neutral response. I am quite happy to inject a high-end linear EQ before my DAC to lowshelf these cans. I *still* get all the power and detail and punch I need to hear mixes clearly (no small task), just without being overwhelmed.

I should also mention something that I believe is not optional when it comes to any headphones, no matter how pricey. If you're not using some kind of crossfeed matrix (like Phonitor, but not necessarily that one), you're actually having a bad time. If I wasn't using such crossfeed full-time, I would be experiencing even more excess/intense low-end, because the very nature of having low-frequency material fully isolated and pumped directly into each ear is just plain acoustically unnatural. It doesn't feel good, contributes to fatigue and a perception of "larger" bass than should be happening. A really good mix/master will properly manage the stereo imaging of the low-end, lessening the need for such monitoring interventions, but sadly it's just not common. Sooooooo much music is amateur/self-produced these days (with superhuman amounts of low-end energy), it's the rare exception to find a song that doesn't benefit from crossfeed when using headphones.

If you're mostly listening from computer output (like me) then it's super easy and cheap to use software emulation. Not all crossfeed implementations are created equal, but my favorite is Goodhertz Canopener Studio, because it's super transparent, adds no coloration, and has all the needed controls. Please note I am not talking about "room simulator" type solutions, which attempt to create a corny VR-like experience of "speakers in a room" with impulse responses, reflections, and such. That would completely muck up my ability to mix/master properly. Good crossfeed, however, is crucial to doing the same on headphones. Our brains have a harder time digesting drastic differences in low-end sound between both ears.

So yeah, I love my A2O. I had the original Aeon Flow Open for a moment, but swapped out for the new ones and am very glad I did. The difference is subtle but serious. I won't say they make everything I listen to sound great, but that's honestly because they reveal crappy mixes, which are more common than you'd think. It's almost annoying to notice all the things I wish I could fix in sooooo many songs I love to listen to, but now cannot help but see every little flaw. These cans are not forgiving. If some nutjob thought it was a good idea to mix a song too harshly, or pushed some element to (unpleasant) distortion, it's gonna hurt with these cans on. For my purposes, such fidelity and detail is necessary.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2020 at 2:50 AM Post #1,072 of 2,052
I think may get one of these for the corona lockdown here. I could be stuck around the house for 12 weeks. Open or closed set is the question

Mar 20, 2020 at 2:06 PM Post #1,075 of 2,052
If you don't need isolation get open. It sounds better.
I see you own HD800S and Ether 2. I'm trying to find a "companion" to my 800S among planar-magnetic headphones. I do consider Ether 2 but was also looking into Aeon 2 Open option in parallel. Which one do you think can work better for some very fast (heavy) genres? Or may be Ether Flow 1.1? Thanks.

I did audition the Ether 2 some months ago...not sure if that was 100% of what I wanted...warm, dark..well, that was ifi audio micro idsd bl as a source that time, I never tried them out of my current Violectric desktop setup though..

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2020 at 5:01 PM Post #1,076 of 2,052
I see you own HD800S and Ether 2. I'm trying to find a "companion" to my 800S among planar-magnetic headphones. I do consider Ether 2 but was also looking into Aeon 2 Open option in parallel. Which one do you think can work better for some very fast (heavy) genres? Or may be Ether Flow 1.1? Thanks.

I did audition the Ether 2 some months ago...not sure if that was 100% of what I wanted...warm, dark..well, that was ifi audio micro idsd bl as a source that time, I never tried them out of my current Violectric desktop setup though..

What exactly do you want? Something that sounds the opposite to a HD800S?

Mar 20, 2020 at 7:30 PM Post #1,077 of 2,052

The ETHER 2 is the fastest and most resolving planar we make, the diaphragm is quite a bit lighter and that makes for faster response and better detail retrieval. Note that you can sculpt the response with the optional pads, if you want less warmth in the midrange get the perforated pads. They're swappable, so you can go back and forth between pads based on your preference/mode/whatever and get two pretty different voicings.

AEON 2 has a great tone, it is a bit closer to the E2 perf pad in tonality, but the difference in speed let's E2 render more "dark space" between the notes. A2 is quite a lot of the performance, so if value is a priority it's worth looking at, but if speed and resolution are your goal that's the best we make.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Mar 21, 2020 at 12:25 AM Post #1,078 of 2,052
The ETHER 2 is the fastest and most resolving planar we make, the diaphragm is quite a bit lighter and that makes for faster response and better detail retrieval. Note that you can sculpt the response with the optional pads, if you want less warmth in the midrange get the perforated pads. They're swappable, so you can go back and forth between pads based on your preference/mode/whatever and get two pretty different voicings.

AEON 2 has a great tone, it is a bit closer to the E2 perf pad in tonality, but the difference in speed let's E2 render more "dark space" between the notes. A2 is quite a lot of the performance, so if value is a priority it's worth looking at, but if speed and resolution are your goal that's the best we make.
Hi Dan,

Like qsk78, I am also looking for a planar companion for my HD800S. Accordingly, I have already decided on the Aeon Open 2 and look forward to getting it.
I am also looking to get a new amp. Are you aware of any amps or dac/amps at the 500 or under price point that will pair well with the A2O while also taming the HD800S’s treble and bringing out more of the HD800S’s bass? I’d rather not have to get two separate amps, lol.
Usage would be mostly for movies, non-competitive gaming, EDM and symphonic classical. I generally lean more towards a smooth and rich / full bodied sound rather than a bright, pin-sharp presentation (which begs the question, why the. do I have a HD800S, I know, but I won’t bore you with the details).

Many thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2020 at 12:39 AM Post #1,079 of 2,052
Hi Dan,

Like qsk78, I am also looking for a planar companion for my HD800S. Accordingly, I have already decided on the Aeon Open 2 and look forward to getting it.
I am also looking to get a new amp. Are you aware of any amps or dac/amps at the 500 or under price point that will pair well with the A2O while also taming the HD800S’s treble and bringing out more of the HD800S’s bass? I’d rather not have to get two separate amps, lol.
Usage would be mostly for movies, non-competitive gaming, EDM and symphonic classical. I generally lean more towards a smooth and rich / full bodied sound rather than a bright, pin-sharp presentation (which begs the question, why the. do I have a HD800S, I know, but I won’t bore you with the details).

Many thanks in advance.
I see a Gilmore Lite mk2 recommendation in your near future.

Mar 21, 2020 at 1:49 AM Post #1,080 of 2,052
What exactly do you want? Something that sounds the opposite to a HD800S?
Well. I love a neutral tonality of the 800S / AFC. I use 800S mainly for classic music today. For some really fast and aggressive genres I prefer AFC - I love the bass they produce. It does not mean the the 800S are slow, not at all but I prefer a planar-magnetic bass here. So ideally it should be AFC with all advantages of the open headphones)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back