The New AEON 2: It's The End Of MrSpeakers
Dec 8, 2019 at 9:07 PM Post #601 of 2,052
In terms of the size of the stage and the ability to create "space" around the instruments and voices, I think Aeon 2 open is the best from Dan and the team yet. They finally figured something out when it comes to staging and IMO it's made a pretty significant difference.

Listening to better recording with A2 open, I can clearly recognize depth cues and hear resonance from instruments (like brass and percussion) trial off slowly into the background when a note is finished.

So yeah, the staging is quite good with the A2open.

Even compared to the Ether 2?

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2019 at 1:38 PM Post #602 of 2,052
First post on head-fi just to say... mmm Aeon 2 closed. I've decided to replace my Ether CX with the A2C. For monitoring purposes I'd probably give the edge to the Ether CX. It does such an excellent job of giving you a nice balanced sound but the increased bass on the A2C checks the last checkbox for me. I found that the bass distortion on the Ether CX limited how much I could add thump - too high and detail was lost. Aeon 2 closed has no such issue and for me requires no EQ for perfection.

I also wanted to give a shout-out to MrSpeakers/DCA for their excellent service. The first A2C I received had a minor problem and it was fixed right away. Technically this means that the A2C won against the CX twice for me because I got a second clean trial and have spent hours going back and forth both times with the same decision. Well done all around. Very satisfied.

For additional info for folks I'm using a RME ADI-2 DAC and the right level for me is around -35dB on high gain. Ether CX I usually sat around -38dB so not too different. On my phone they still sound nice but they do lack punch - I would recommend an amp. To me this all means they do require a decent amount of power. I've been looking at the Xduoo xd-05plus to power them for my portable setup.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2019 at 3:15 PM Post #603 of 2,052
Can anyone recommend a good desktop amp to drive the Aeon 2 O's ? Because they have such a low impudence my desk side amp thinks they are Earphones and cuts out when I add a bit of volume. Is anyone using the SMSL SP200 ? I have a Loxjie but I dont like the sound.

Dec 12, 2019 at 3:50 PM Post #604 of 2,052
Can anyone recommend a good desktop amp to drive the Aeon 2 O's ? Because they have such a low impudence my desk side amp thinks they are Earphones and cuts out when I add a bit of volume. Is anyone using the SMSL SP200 ? I have a Loxjie but I dont like the sound.

If you can indicate budget and DAC you will get more focused answers...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Dec 12, 2019 at 8:05 PM Post #605 of 2,052
First post on head-fi just to say... mmm Aeon 2 closed. I've decided to replace my Ether CX with the A2C. For monitoring purposes I'd probably give the edge to the Ether CX. It does such an excellent job of giving you a nice balanced sound but the increased bass on the A2C checks the last checkbox for me. I found that the bass distortion on the Ether CX limited how much I could add thump - too high and detail was lost. Aeon 2 closed has no such issue and for me requires no EQ for perfection.

I also wanted to give a shout-out to MrSpeakers/DCA for their excellent service. The first A2C I received had a minor problem and it was fixed right away. Technically this means that the A2C won against the CX twice for me because I got a second clean trial and have spent hours going back and forth both times with the same decision. Well done all around. Very satisfied.

For additional info for folks I'm using a RME ADI-2 DAC and the right level for me is around -35dB on high gain. Ether CX I usually sat around -38dB so not too different. On my phone they still sound nice but they do lack punch - I would recommend an amp. To me this all means they do require a decent amount of power. I've been looking at the Xduoo xd-05plus to power them for my portable setup.

I have the RME ADI-2 dac as well and really like it with the Aeon 2 closed. Also came to the same conclusion as to eq. The XDuoo xd-05 plus is a good match as well.

Dec 12, 2019 at 11:02 PM Post #606 of 2,052
The new Schiit Heresy. It has quite a lot of power (2.4watts @32ohm), very very clean according to ASR and just 99 bucks.

Dec 13, 2019 at 4:56 AM Post #607 of 2,052
The new Schiit Heresy. It has quite a lot of power (2.4watts @32ohm), very very clean according to ASR and just 99 bucks.

Then rather the Modi 3+ according to everything i have read about the two new Schiit amps.

Dec 13, 2019 at 6:03 AM Post #608 of 2,052
If you can indicate budget and DAC you will get more focused answers...
Good point, I should have been more specific. Well initial I will be using the DAC section of the Questyle CMA400i and Balanced XLR Interconnects I guess. I have around £500 ($550 or so) to spend.
I dont mind getting another dac amp or evan DAC separate. I know not much to play with is it, I am a bit poor just now.

I would love to just get a feel what others are using to drive these headphones though. Oh BTW they sound brilliant on an AMP*ex from a IbassoDX220 :).

Dec 13, 2019 at 11:05 AM Post #610 of 2,052
I would classify A2C as warm but we're not talking Fostex warm. Pleasantly warm with neutral treble perhaps?

Edit: There was a note from Dan on a previous page about a mod if you don't want warm. There are little bass ports that you can block or partially block. I remember someone mentioning that they put electrical tape to cover half of the ports and it was perfect for them. I love them stock. Covering them with my fingers shows a very noticeable difference.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2019 at 11:49 AM Post #611 of 2,052
Good point, I should have been more specific. Well initial I will be using the DAC section of the Questyle CMA400i and Balanced XLR Interconnects I guess. I have around £500 ($550 or so) to spend.
I dont mind getting another dac amp or evan DAC separate. I know not much to play with is it, I am a bit poor just now.

I would love to just get a feel what others are using to drive these headphones though. Oh BTW they sound brilliant on an AMP*ex from a IbassoDX220 :).

If a tube amp is in your consideration, the Schiit Lyr 3 makes beautiful music with the A2C's. Plenty of power and a very synergistic match IMO.

Dec 13, 2019 at 12:38 PM Post #612 of 2,052
Thanks everyone for the huge support for the A2C line, this has been our best launch ever! We're still a little backlogged but have been working overtime and weekends and a lot of headphones are going out over the next week!

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Dec 13, 2019 at 12:38 PM Post #613 of 2,052
Seems to pair well with a THX789 for me. It's the only amp I've tried so far. Source is Benchmark DAC3B.

Dec 13, 2019 at 1:52 PM Post #614 of 2,052
If a tube amp is in your consideration, the Schiit Lyr 3 makes beautiful music with the A2C's. Plenty of power and a very synergistic match IMO.

Excellent! I just got the Lyr 3 and I'm very happy with it so far. I haven't had a chance to hear the Aeon 2 Closed yet, but I'm very much looking forward to listen to both the Aeon 2s.

Dec 13, 2019 at 2:34 PM Post #615 of 2,052
One for the list, thanks for the rec.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back