1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

The New AEON 2: It's The End Of MrSpeakers

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by jude, Nov 1, 2019.
First

Back
31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40
42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51
Next

Last
  1. Empyah
    Even compared to the Ether 2?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  2. FunderFURY
    First post on head-fi just to say... mmm Aeon 2 closed. I've decided to replace my Ether CX with the A2C. For monitoring purposes I'd probably give the edge to the Ether CX. It does such an excellent job of giving you a nice balanced sound but the increased bass on the A2C checks the last checkbox for me. I found that the bass distortion on the Ether CX limited how much I could add thump - too high and detail was lost. Aeon 2 closed has no such issue and for me requires no EQ for perfection.

I also wanted to give a shout-out to MrSpeakers/DCA for their excellent service. The first A2C I received had a minor problem and it was fixed right away. Technically this means that the A2C won against the CX twice for me because I got a second clean trial and have spent hours going back and forth both times with the same decision. Well done all around. Very satisfied.

For additional info for folks I'm using a RME ADI-2 DAC and the right level for me is around -35dB on high gain. Ether CX I usually sat around -38dB so not too different. On my phone they still sound nice but they do lack punch - I would recommend an amp. To me this all means they do require a decent amount of power. I've been looking at the Xduoo xd-05plus to power them for my portable setup.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
    havagr8da and trellus like this.
  3. MaxD
    Can anyone recommend a good desktop amp to drive the Aeon 2 O's ? Because they have such a low impudence my desk side amp thinks they are Earphones and cuts out when I add a bit of volume. Is anyone using the SMSL SP200 ? I have a Loxjie but I dont like the sound.

4. mrspeakers Contributor
    If you can indicate budget and DAC you will get more focused answers...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
  5. havagr8da

I have the RME ADI-2 dac as well and really like it with the Aeon 2 closed. Also came to the same conclusion as to eq. The XDuoo xd-05 plus is a good match as well.

FunderFURY likes this.
  6. human bass
    The new Schiit Heresy. It has quite a lot of power (2.4watts @32ohm), very very clean according to ASR and just 99 bucks.

bcowen likes this.
  7. Empyah
    Then rather the Modi 3+ according to everything i have read about the two new Schiit amps.

Jalsar likes this.
  8. MaxD
    Good point, I should have been more specific. Well initial I will be using the DAC section of the Questyle CMA400i and Balanced XLR Interconnects I guess. I have around £500 ($550 or so) to spend.
    I dont mind getting another dac amp or evan DAC separate. I know not much to play with is it, I am a bit poor just now.

I would love to just get a feel what others are using to drive these headphones though. Oh BTW they sound brilliant on an AMP*ex from a IbassoDX220 :).

bcowen likes this.
  9. flarex3
    So people think that Aeon 2 Closed is warmer than the former. When considering A2C to the rest of the market, is it a warm or is it neutral ?

10. FunderFURY
    I would classify A2C as warm but we're not talking Fostex warm. Pleasantly warm with neutral treble perhaps?

Edit: There was a note from Dan on a previous page about a mod if you don't want warm. There are little bass ports that you can block or partially block. I remember someone mentioning that they put electrical tape to cover half of the ports and it was perfect for them. I love them stock. Covering them with my fingers shows a very noticeable difference.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
    bcowen likes this.
  11. bcowen
    If a tube amp is in your consideration, the Schiit Lyr 3 makes beautiful music with the A2C's. Plenty of power and a very synergistic match IMO.

havagr8da, Odin412 and Empyah like this.
  12. mrspeakers Contributor
    Thanks everyone for the huge support for the A2C line, this has been our best launch ever! We're still a little backlogged but have been working overtime and weekends and a lot of headphones are going out over the next week!

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
    pallydou, trellus, XERO1 and 3 others like this.
  13. SeanS
    Seems to pair well with a THX789 for me. It's the only amp I've tried so far. Source is Benchmark DAC3B.

bcowen likes this.
  14. Odin412
    Excellent! I just got the Lyr 3 and I'm very happy with it so far. I haven't had a chance to hear the Aeon 2 Closed yet, but I'm very much looking forward to listen to both the Aeon 2s.

bcowen likes this.
  15. MaxD
    One for the list, thanks for the rec.

bcowen likes this.
First

Back
31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40
42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51
Next

Last