The New AEON 2: It's The End Of MrSpeakers
Dec 4, 2019 at 2:36 PM Post #541 of 2,052
I don't know about the EX version. Is regular AMP8 okay ? I will opt-in for the 4.4 mm VIVO cable when buying A2C.
I spent a couple of weeks with the 8 prior to modding it. The mod adds some base control and detail, but I still liked it prior to the upgrade. The upgrade diffident change the power so I would say go for it. Or if you can pick up an Ex version second hand. Or upgrade it yourself, it is a fun mod if a bit worrisome that you will trash the amp :)

Dec 4, 2019 at 5:10 PM Post #543 of 2,052
Any thoughts and comments on the soundstage of the A2O ?
Honestly, a headphone's soundstage is probably the lowest sonic priority for me.

Not to say that soundstage isn't important, but there are so few under-$1000 headphones out there that get all the fundementals right, that if one of them happens to have an above average soundstage, I just concider it a nice bonus.

But if my memory serves me correctly, the A2O's soundstage was maybe a little larger than an HD 650 or Clear, so nothing to write home about.

But like I said, just getting all of the fundamentals right is no easy task, and the A2O is one of the few under-$1000 headphones that (to my ears) does.

Dec 6, 2019 at 2:58 PM Post #544 of 2,052
Dan is one of the reason's I spent my hard earned cash on the Aeon 2 and mad Dogs before them. He is always willing to answer questions and help.
Im in the UK too and that is a big plus if you ask me. I had parts delivered from Dan's place in San Diego and it only took 4 days !

I also own''d a few Sony things and the support is no where neer as personable or quick.

I am not on my own in thinking that if a vendor puts that sort of work into the community they deserve our business.
Good points. I like Dan. I was hoping Aeon 2 would be able to deliver low end sub base to match Sony MDRZ1R or my Focal Clear.

Dec 6, 2019 at 3:18 PM Post #545 of 2,052
Good points. I like Dan. I was hoping Aeon 2 would be able to deliver low end sub base to match Sony MDRZ1R or my Focal Clear.

I can't comment on other vendors' products, but the A2C reaches flat to 10Hz and bass is considerably stronger than AEON C was, with a more integrated bass-midrange transition. Critically, there is no pronounced dip between the bass and mids, something that can make vocals sound thin and reedy, nor do male vocals get "fat." Not sure what you are looking for, but the goal of the headphone was to be "fun" on the bottom end yet preserve a more audiophile midrange. How well we succeeded, of course, be in the ear of the beholder...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Dec 6, 2019 at 4:26 PM Post #548 of 2,052
I just got my A2C , first impressions pretty darn good. There is certainly more bass, for those who thought the original Flows were lacking, you will be happier. Currently testing out with the thinnest black foam inserts.

Dec 6, 2019 at 4:48 PM Post #549 of 2,052
As i continue to monitor the reviews, the pattern im noticing is this.

"bass"
"bass"

"bass"

"bass"

"Bass"

No one has quite stated they are basshead headphones, but, the implication is quite redundant at this point, seemingly.

Personally, I wouldn't call it a basshead can, which implies a level of boost that would be inconsistent with how I try to voice. The best way I can say it is that I try to deliver a balanced experience that feels live. In this respect, bumping the bass to overcome the lack of bone conduction and "impact" large systems have is to manipulate the response away from "flat," if there even is such a thing in a headphone. If there was one criticism that came out for the original AEON Closed it was that it was a little lean, and that the bass to midrange transition had a bit of a dip. I think we overcame both of these objections without messing up the midgrange; vocals sound smoother, fuller and better balanced to my ear.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Dec 6, 2019 at 4:55 PM Post #550 of 2,052
Sounds exactly like my preferences, as well as many others.
Great job voicing this headphone!

Dec 6, 2019 at 4:58 PM Post #552 of 2,052
I'm in the mood to compare it with my Eras now. :)
Hope that i'll not be too biased for. ^^

Dec 6, 2019 at 5:02 PM Post #553 of 2,052
What we're getting at @mrspeakers , and to stop beating around the bush, do they have moar BaSs than Beats. That's what we want.

Also. That carbon fibre insert. Is it just a stick on layer?

We will probably never have more bass than Beats, though our headphones go flat down to 10Hz which most dynamics can not do. If that's what you're after this is the wrong product, though they're very tolerant of EQ and you can certainly get that out of many systems these days.

And yes, it's real carbon. Our headphones are almost all carbon and aluminum, with the exception of the red plastic cup that holds the carbon in place.

Last edited:

Dec 6, 2019 at 6:00 PM Post #555 of 2,052
I just got my A2C , first impressions pretty darn good. There is certainly more bass, for those who thought the original Flows were lacking, you will be happier.

What does "more bass" then the Original "C"s actually mean?
Can you be more specific?
Does the bass bleed into the mids, for example?
The bass i like is extended but not pronounced.
Many of us want to hear the bass, but we dont want a headphone that has a pronounced bass response.
This is why many who love the HD6 series, dont enjoy the HD650.
The reviewers here are not really talking about bass extension, they are instead describing BIG BASS.
That's bass head terminology.
And for me, im not into piling up the synthetic mesh between my ears and a speaker to try to deal with a freq. issue.
I want to take them out of the box, and they sound their best.
So, it seems that these, right out of the box, are bassy. (if the reviews are correct).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back