The New AEON 2: It's The End Of MrSpeakers
Dec 20, 2019 at 8:10 PM Post #661 of 2,052
What I have gathered so far is:
- Focal Stellia > Focal Clear
- Focal Clear > Aeon 2.

So I guess I have to go for the Focal Stellia?

For some strange reason, nobody has the Aeon 2 for me to try out so I cannot do the comparisons myself like I usually do.

I see in your sig that you already have the Utopia, do you mind if I ask why you would get the Stellia as well? I am always curious who is buying these super high end closed-back headphones. I know some people like to listen in the office but honestly it seems like IEMs or noise canceling headphones would be a much better choice than full size ridiculous looking headphones with a dac / amp stack.

Dec 20, 2019 at 9:51 PM Post #662 of 2,052
I see in your sig that you already have the Utopia, do you mind if I ask why you would get the Stellia as well? I am always curious who is buying these super high end closed-back headphones. I know some people like to listen in the office but honestly it seems like IEMs or noise canceling headphones would be a much better choice than full size ridiculous looking headphones with a dac / amp stack.
One explanation would be that they don't like or can't use IEMs. I can't use them, get ear infections and pain. Otherwise I would :frowning2:

Dec 20, 2019 at 10:16 PM Post #663 of 2,052
I know some people like to listen in the office but honestly it seems like IEMs or noise canceling headphones would be a much better choice than full size ridiculous looking headphones with a dac / amp stack.

IEMs lack the feels of bass. Children are an excellent reason for closed backs. They also quickly show the biggest flaw of noise cancellation - inconsistent noises. Noisy lil buggers make it hard to hear the strum of every string. A2C has some pretty decent isolation. I have a hard time hearing them with anything playing. Better than Ether CX and m50x I think. Ether I could usually tell when someone was talking at me. A2C they have to yell to get my attention.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2019 at 10:17 PM Post #664 of 2,052
IEMs don’t thump and I have yet to find noise cancelling headphones that fully satisfy me. Usually there’s too much processing in general. Children are another excellent reason for closed backs. Noisy lil buggers make it hard to hear the strum of every string.

Also living in an apartment in new york city with terrible sound insulation. If I don't want to hear sirens and honking in all of my music, a closed back is a requirement.

Dec 21, 2019 at 1:11 AM Post #666 of 2,052

I have been using the Campfire Andromeda a lot (IEM) in the office and I have been looking at the Stellia for a couple of reasons:
1. I don’t like how my AFC 1 looks in terms of design, so I rarely bring it to the office. The Stellia looks a bit nicer.
2. Using IEM causes wax to build up in my ears, hence why I decided to move back to full sized headphones.
3. I am currently using ANC headphones in the office (Bose NC 700, Bose QC35 II or Sony WH-1000XM3). But it doesn’t offer the same sound quality as the Campfire Andromeda IEM.

I have tried the Stellia a few times and my biggest concern is the sound isolation as I was able to hear my surrounding. Hence why I did not buy it yet and looking for alternatives.

The most likely scenario is:
1. Stick with the Campfire Andromeda or buy a custom IEM (and then deal with the build of ear wax by regular cleaning)
2. I might stick to ANC headphones for office use.

I will give the AFC 2 a try also but it will probably look a bit goofy of my head just like the AFC 1 and won’t bring it to the office for that reason.

If the Focal Stellia has isolation on par with my AFC 1, I would have bought it already :p

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2019 at 9:30 AM Post #670 of 2,052

Maybe I'm old enough that I don't really give a crap if people think I look silly, but also I see lots of people around my office wearing over-ear headphones (mostly cheap ones). Noise canceling headphones have their uses and I see some people using them in my office. I own a pair for use on public transit and the sound quality is not as good as a regular closed back in the same price range. There is no noise canceling headphone anywhere near as good as the Aeon Flow Closed. As for IEMs, I'm part of the group with narrow ear canals that can't wear many brands. I have CIEMs and find them comfortable for a couple of hours at a time at most. (Also, I agree with the person who said they seem to encourage ear infections.) However, I can wear my Aeon Flow Cs all day long, they provide excellent isolation, and they sound great. And I don't need a dac/amp stack with them as my Hiby DAP drives them perfectly. At home, I use the Stellia when listening after others are asleep or when I'm using my loud window AC. It is great that we have so many headphone choices as there are an almost infinite number of use cases/preferences it seems.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2019 at 11:54 AM Post #671 of 2,052
Can anyone recommend a good desktop amp to drive the Aeon 2 O's ? Because they have such a low impudence my desk side amp thinks they are Earphones and cuts out when I add a bit of volume. Is anyone using the SMSL SP200 ? I have a Loxjie but I dont like the sound.
I have the SMSL SP200. Great amp for these phones. Plenty of power to drive them to their max.

Dec 22, 2019 at 12:48 PM Post #672 of 2,052
Dec 22, 2019 at 12:56 PM Post #673 of 2,052
Maybe I'm old enough that I don't really give a *** if people think I look silly, but also I see lots of people around my office wearing over-ear headphones (mostly cheap ones). Noise canceling headphones have their uses and I see some people using them in my office. I own a pair for use on public transit and the sound quality is not as good as a regular closed back in the same price range. There is no noise canceling headphone anywhere near as good as the Aeon Flow Closed. As for IEMs, I'm part of the group with narrow ear canals that can't wear many brands. I have CIEMs and find them comfortable for a couple of hours at a time at most. (Also, I agree with the person who said they seem to encourage ear infections.) However, I can wear my Aeon Flow Cs all day long, they provide excellent isolation, and they sound great. And I don't need a dac/amp stick with them as my Hiby DAP drives them perfectly. At home, I use the Stellia when listening after other are asleep or when I'm using my loud window AC. It is great to have some many headphone choices as there are an almost infinite number of use cases/preferences it seems.

In general, it does not seem that headphones & fashion mix (unless you’re going for the DJ look), so no need to worry about it IMO. I do like the Beoplay h9i as a wireless ANC headphone that looks great too. It doesn’t sound as good as some high end wired closed backs, but no issues with comfort & sound being fatiguing with extended listening.

Dec 22, 2019 at 2:09 PM Post #674 of 2,052
I have the SMSL SP200. Great amp for these phones. Plenty of power to drive them to their max.
:) hah, I ordered one and yes it is brilliant. But it is always nice for someone to agree :)

Dec 22, 2019 at 2:55 PM Post #675 of 2,052
I will give the AFC 2 a try also but it will probably look a bit goofy of my head just like the AFC 1 and won’t bring it to the office for that reason.

If the Focal Stellia has isolation on par with my AFC 1, I would have bought it already :p

Personally I would think the Stellia would look awesome in an office, but would stand out even more and so I wouldn't feel safe leaving them there and also wouldn't want to transport them daily. I also think the AFC 2 look pretty damn good in a sea of cheap, black, plastic headphones (our company even used to include some cheap Sennheiser on-ear headphones as part of the "new hire bundle"). I bought the AFC 2 precisely for (some) travel and for easy transport for use in the office. I love them for that use case - great isolation and easy to drive - no "stack" needed (have used them off a Dragonfly Cobalt and E1DA 9038S). I don't have a lot of great comparison points in high-end closed backs as I'm more willing to spend on open backs for home, but I would imagine it'd be tough to be beat the AFC 2 all-around for sound, ease of transport, noise isolation and all-day comfort in one neat, little, easy-to-drive package. If those aspects are relevant for you, it's definitely worth a listen to see if it meets your aural goals as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back