The New AEON 2: It's The End Of MrSpeakers
Dec 17, 2019 at 5:44 PM Post #647 of 2,052
I'd also like to see a comparison with the Elegia. I preferred those to the AFC, due to the overly laid back nature of the latter.
Elegia isn't too far off the Clear if you have heard the Clear?

Then there is the solid rigid feel of the Focal lineup, against the light flexible feel of the Aeon.

For me, Aeon is comfortable, Elegia/Clear put too much pressure on top of my head and give me a headache.

Dec 19, 2019 at 10:40 PM Post #651 of 2,052
Elegia isn't too far off the Clear if you have heard the Clear?

Then there is the solid rigid feel of the Focal lineup, against the light flexible feel of the Aeon.

For me, Aeon is comfortable, Elegia/Clear put too much pressure on top of my head and give me a headache.

Have to disagree... the elegia is lacking in so many ways compared the the clear. Not sure your source/amp but driven well the clear is a significant step up. The elegia lacks bass, bass impact and has a dip in the mid range that can mess up vocals. It also sounds like a closed back.

Dec 19, 2019 at 11:05 PM Post #652 of 2,052
Have to disagree... the elegia is lacking in so many ways compared the the clear. Not sure your source/amp but driven well the clear is a significant step up. The elegia lacks bass, bass impact and has a dip in the mid range that can mess up vocals. It also sounds like a closed back.

Was a Audio GD NFB 11.28

The clear is the better headphone, sure. But you instantly tell the Elegia was made to be a closed back Clear. They sound very similar, tone/feel etc. They also don't sound like the Aeon :p

Dec 20, 2019 at 1:26 AM Post #653 of 2,052
What I have gathered so far is:
- Focal Stellia > Focal Clear
- Focal Clear > Aeon 2.

So I guess I have to go for the Focal Stellia?

For some strange reason, nobody has the Aeon 2 for me to try out so I cannot do the comparisons myself like I usually do.

Dec 20, 2019 at 3:05 AM Post #655 of 2,052
I concur. Different does not equate greater than. To my ear, the Clear sounded artificial and lacked sub-bass (impact?). "Tin-y" is how I described it in my notes though I can't imagine a headphone in that class sounding what I interpret as "tin-y" now. Probably just different tuning. Never ending upgrades have left my experience of the Clear a distant memory. Comparing open to closed (I've only experienced A2C). Yada yada. Always forward.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2019 at 4:18 AM Post #656 of 2,052
I concur. Different does not equate greater than. To my ear, the Clear sounded artificial and lacked sub-bass. "Tin-y" is how I described it in my notes though I can't imagine a headphone in that class sounding what I interpret as "tin-y" now. Never ending upgrades have left my experience of the Clear a distant memory. Always forward.
Yeah, same boat. Sounds off. Dynamic as anything, but weird. Aeons tone was perfect. Just needed more dynamics and bass slam.

Dec 20, 2019 at 4:54 AM Post #657 of 2,052
A headphone 2.5x the price is better? Whhhattt?

Stellia completely different sound signature/feel. You may not actually like it still.
I got to demo the Stellia yesterday, (it's definitely not a closed back utopia), and have tried the Elegia and AF closed 1. The Stellias was better than bother obviously, but in some ways I found the Elegia more "fun" and more of a headphoney, hifi sound. The stellia was more natural, silky smooth soundscape. The AFC 1 were closer to the stellia but with less dynamic oompf. For me Stellia > Elegia > AFC 1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back