The Nameless Guide To PC Gaming Audio (with binaural headphone surround sound)
Nov 4, 2016 at 7:53 PM Post #3,676 of 4,136
  I'm looking to run a setup of using Stereo Mix to output my sound card to ODAC (USB). I have a few questions just for confirmation I'm doing the right thing.
The OP only mentions this method using  "What u hear" (Creative) - I'm guessing Stereo Mix (Xonar) is exactly the same?
How's the performance? Is it bit-perfect? Is there any noticeable delay?
I heard there's some stereo mix issues with USB headsets. Would ODAC have the same issue?

The option your looking into degrades audio quality.
Better to use a quality sound card and output to the headphones or speakers
or bypass the sound card and have audio go straight out the USB port to an external DAC (ODAC?).
What hardware do you currently own?
What are you trying to do with audio (gaming, music or movies or other)?

Nov 4, 2016 at 9:10 PM Post #3,677 of 4,136
  The option your looking into degrades audio quality.
Better to use a quality sound card and output to the headphones or speakers
or bypass the sound card and have audio go straight out the USB port to an external DAC (ODAC?).
What hardware do you currently own?
What are you trying to do with audio (gaming, music or movies or other)?

Are you sure it degrades audio quality? What if I used Virtual Audio Cable/VB-Cables Hifi?

I have a Xonar D2.  I need dolby headphone for gaming, and that's about it

My other options are to pick up a sound card with line out to  ODAC, or just get a Essence One

I'm concerned about audio quality of internal sound cards due to EMI

Edit: another option is Razer surround but I heard it's crap

Anything else I should be looking at?

Nov 4, 2016 at 11:13 PM Post #3,678 of 4,136
  Are you sure it degrades audio quality? What if I used Virtual Audio Cable/VB-Cables Hifi?
I have a Xonar D2.  I need dolby headphone for gaming, and that's about it
My other options are to pick up a sound card with line out to  ODAC, or just get a Essence One
I'm concerned about audio quality of internal sound cards due to EMI
Edit: another option is Razer surround but I heard it's crap
Anything else I should be looking at?

I'm  not the expert on the "What U Hear" feature, but it seems to be common knowledge that it degrades audio quality (from what I read).

Did you disable the motherboard's on-board audio, in the BIOS, when you installed the Xonar D2?
Have you tried the Unified Xonar Drivers?
http://maxedtech.com/asus-xonar-unified-drivers/

The Xonar D2 makes a fairly decent DAC.
Me, I would just connect an external headphone amplifer to the Xonar D2 and be happy.
Do you currently have an issues with electrical noise generated inside the computer case, that the Xonar D2 picks up?
You could get an external DAC with an optical input, connect it to the Xonar D2's optical output port.
There is the Schiit Modi 2 Uber DAC ($149), which comes with optical/coaxial/USB input.
http://schiit.com/products/modi-2
Hifimediy has an optical DAC for $59
http://hifimediy.com/SPDIF-9018-DAC
The Xonar D2 can send it's Dolby Headphone surround sound thru it's S/PDIF (optical/coaxial) output port.

Nov 5, 2016 at 9:01 AM Post #3,679 of 4,136
  I'm looking to run a setup of using Stereo Mix to output my sound card to ODAC (USB). I have a few questions just for confirmation I'm doing the right thing.

The OP only mentions this method using  "What u hear" (Creative) - I'm guessing Stereo Mix (Xonar) is exactly the same?

How's the performance? Is it bit-perfect? Is there any noticeable delay?

I heard there's some stereo mix issues with USB headsets. Would ODAC have the same issue?

Cheers!

I also have the ODAC + O2 which I use directly from the PC (no sound card) but I have the same problem as you. I want to output virtual surround sound to the ODAC but the options are limited. One of my only options is to use Sound Blaster X-Fi MB3 with my onboard sound card (it doesn't work for virtual surround with just a 2.0 device for some dumb reason), the problem is my sound card doesn't seem to have a line-out so that I can plug it into my ODAC + O2 and I don't know if it's appropriate to connect the speaker-out from the sound card into the line-out.
I tried to use the Virtual Audio Cable/VB-Cables Hifi but Sound Blaster X-Fi MB3 doesn't list them as available sound devices... what the **** Creative...

And yes "What u hear" seems to add sound latency in my case. I've also read in this forum it degrades sound quality, even though I didn't notice it. Razer Surround also adds a lot of latency (at least it used to, when I tried it a few months ago) and the sound is not very good.

Nov 5, 2016 at 9:31 AM Post #3,680 of 4,136

I also have the ODAC + O2 which I use directly from the PC (no sound card) but I have the same problem as you. I want to output virtual surround sound to the ODAC but the options are limited. One of my only options is to use Sound Blaster X-Fi MB3 with my onboard sound card (it doesn't work for virtual surround with just a 2.0 device for some dumb reason), the problem is my sound card doesn't seem to have a line-out so that I can plug it into my ODAC + O2 and I don't know if it's appropriate to connect the speaker-out from the sound card into the line-out.
I tried to use the Virtual Audio Cable/VB-Cables Hifi but Sound Blaster X-Fi MB3 doesn't list them as available sound devices... what the **** Creative...

And yes "What u hear" seems to add sound latency in my case. I've also read in this forum it degrades sound quality, even though I didn't notice it. Razer Surround also adds a lot of latency (at least it used to, when I tried it a few months ago) and the sound is not very good.

"Speaker-out" is "line-out".
I doubt that the onboard soundcard has actual speaker terminals for passive speakers.
biggrin.gif

Nov 5, 2016 at 11:59 PM Post #3,682 of 4,136
OK, so it's down to Essense One, Essence STX or Essence STX MK II. Is the Essence STX MK II an upgrade over the Essence STX if I'm bypassing the headamp and taking the lineout? I need the Essence STX as it offers RCA line-out

Nov 9, 2016 at 5:48 AM Post #3,683 of 4,136
Hello guys I will be gaming on my laptop. I will be using akg k712 pro and chord mojo. Is chord mojo good for gaming with akg k712 and if not which external sound card do you guys suggest. P.s I want a portable solution

Nov 12, 2016 at 10:39 PM Post #3,686 of 4,136
So the Sennheiser GSX 1000 is out in Europe, but nobody is bothering to record its effects and post them on YouTube or wherever which disappoints me.
I've been waiting to hear this thing since August, I can't buy it where I am yet. 

If anyone here has it, please make a video showcasing its surround.

Nov 12, 2016 at 10:54 PM Post #3,687 of 4,136
  So the Sennheiser GSX 1000 is out in Europe, but nobody is bothering to record its effects and post them on YouTube or wherever which disappoints me.
I've been waiting to hear this thing since August, I can't buy it where I am yet. 

It is already posted on Amazon's US website but it is not available yet. Won't be long before they have it in stock. I am still debating on purchasing the GSX1000 or not.....

Nov 12, 2016 at 11:58 PM Post #3,688 of 4,136

I've been following the thread on overclockers and looks like shankly recorded some sound and is going to upload video today or tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back