The Nameless Guide To PC Gaming Audio (with binaural headphone surround sound)
Nov 25, 2016 at 6:25 PM Post #3,706 of 4,136
Hello guys I made a thread on here for the GSX and have posted some videos.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/824923/sennheiser-gsx-1000-1200-impressions#post_13036862

Really enjoying this unit, far superior over anything else I have tested to date.

Nov 30, 2016 at 5:20 PM Post #3,707 of 4,136
I'm thinking about picking up Battlefield 1. I have an older Titanium X-Fi card with CMSS-3D headphone. Will CMSS-3D headphone do anything for me in this game since OpenAL is no longer used? Or will I need a receiver capable of processing Dolby Atmos? The only other FPS I currently play is Overwatch, which is pretty easy because Dolby Atmos Headphone is just an option in the menu. I still need help understanding what I need to get 3D surround headphone for Battlefield 1.

Nov 30, 2016 at 7:21 PM Post #3,709 of 4,136
  I'm thinking about picking up Battlefield 1. I have an older Titanium X-Fi card with CMSS-3D headphone. Will CMSS-3D headphone do anything for me in this game since OpenAL is no longer used? Or will I need a receiver capable of processing Dolby Atmos? The only other FPS I currently play is Overwatch, which is pretty easy because Dolby Atmos Headphone is just an option in the menu. I still need help understanding what I need to get 3D surround headphone for Battlefield 1.

I think replacing your sound card with a modern A/V receiver is not very practical.

Is your X-Fi sound card a Titanium-HD or Titanium (non-HD).
If Non-HD, you might consider replacing it with a newer Sound Blaster Z sound card, for better audio quality.

Nov 30, 2016 at 7:37 PM Post #3,710 of 4,136
  I think replacing your sound card with a modern A/V receiver is not very practical.

Is your X-Fi sound card a Titanium-HD or Titanium (non-HD).
If Non-HD, you might consider replacing it with a newer Sound Blaster Z sound card, for better audio quality.

It is the Non-HD version, but I send the stereo mix out through optical to my Schiit Bifrost/Asgard so audio quality isn't an issue. Basically the only thing I still use the card for is the rare game that supports CMSS-3D. Is the 3D headphone technology in the Sound Blaster Z better than CMSS-3D? SBX is it called?

Nov 30, 2016 at 8:21 PM Post #3,711 of 4,136
  It is the Non-HD version, but I send the stereo mix out through optical to my Schiit Bifrost/Asgard so audio quality isn't an issue. Basically the only thing I still use the card for is the rare game that supports CMSS-3D. Is the 3D headphone technology in the Sound Blaster Z better than CMSS-3D? SBX is it called?

CMSS-3D Headphone vs SBX Headphone, not really something i'm qualified to compare.

Nov 30, 2016 at 8:26 PM Post #3,712 of 4,136
CMSS is pretty similar to SBX actually. I prefer SBX but its only marginally better. Some people get better results with CMSS.

Not a lot has changed since the early 2000s in the binaural audio market for computers which is why so many people don't even realise its better.

Nov 30, 2016 at 8:27 PM Post #3,713 of 4,136
I think CMSS-3D and SBX are pretty comparable. Listen to some of the youtube videos comparing the two. I don't have a ton of time on my X7, but as far as I can tell SBX isn't any worse than CMSS-3D once you get the settings dialed in to your liking.

Dec 1, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #3,714 of 4,136
  Will CMSS-3D headphone do anything for me in this game since OpenAL is no longer used?

Basically the only thing I still use the card for is the rare game that supports CMSS-3D.

CMSS-3D works will all games and programs that support surround sound output. You don't need OpenAL for that. OpenAL was better because it generated a 360º sound field instead of just 5.1 or 7.1, but CMSS-3D works perfectly well with 5.1 or 7.1 game output as well.

Dec 8, 2016 at 5:11 AM Post #3,715 of 4,136
Probably been answered before but wondering if anyone can let me know the best Xonar settings for Dolby Headphone? Using the Unified drivers if that helps.

Not sure if the system speaker set up also needs changed or if tweaking inside the Xonar driver app is enough.

Thanks,
Lee

Dec 8, 2016 at 12:01 PM Post #3,716 of 4,136
  Probably been answered before but wondering if anyone can let me know the best Xonar settings for Dolby Headphone? Using the Unified drivers if that helps.

Not sure if the system speaker set up also needs changed or if tweaking inside the Xonar driver app is enough.

Thanks,
Lee

Make sure you set windows speakers config to 5.1 or 7.1 (whatever your card supports), then enable Dolby Headphone in the Xonar settings. In game you usually choose the 5.1/7.1/Surround option if available. 

Dec 14, 2016 at 6:07 PM Post #3,718 of 4,136
  Does the Creative Sound Blaster Audigy FX PCIe 5.1 have SBX headphone for gaming? Or just it's big brother the Soundblaster Z? I am looking at recommending a card to a friend.

The SB Audigy FX is based on an older card with an older (DSP) audio processor.
It list SBX Studio Pro software, but it may not be as good(?) as SBX Headphone on the newer cards

If your looking at buying a card, get the Sound Blaster Z
Better DAC chip and newer audio processor (Soundcore3D)

Dec 14, 2016 at 10:00 PM Post #3,719 of 4,136

The SB Audigy FX is based on an older card with an older (DSP) audio processor.
It list SBX Studio Pro software, but it may not be as good(?) as SBX Headphone on the newer cards

If your looking at buying a card, get the Sound Blaster Z
Better DAC chip and newer audio processor (Soundcore3D)

If my friend wanted to stay under the 30 dollar mark, would you recommend the Asus Xonar DG over the SB Audigy FX? I know the Asus Xonar uses Dolby Headphone, which is a different technology than Creative uses, and some find it highly subjective. He has the Sennheiser HD 598, which isn't particularly hard to drive, so I think either would be able to drive it fine. It's just a matter of which has the better 3D headphone technology. The Soundblaster Z, probably beats both I would assume, but at a higher price.

Dec 15, 2016 at 12:12 AM Post #3,720 of 4,136
  If my friend wanted to stay under the 30 dollar mark, would you recommend the Asus Xonar DG over the SB Audigy FX? I know the Asus Xonar uses Dolby Headphone, which is a different technology than Creative uses, and some find it highly subjective. He has the Sennheiser HD 598, which isn't particularly hard to drive, so I think either would be able to drive it fine. It's just a matter of which has the better 3D headphone technology. The Soundblaster Z, probably beats both I would assume, but at a higher price.

I have a personal preferrence for Asus Xonar (and Dolby Headphone) over Creative sound cards.
But I just do not know how good the headphone surround sound software is with the Audigy FX.
So I can't say the Xonar DG/DGX is a better sound card or not.
I would guess the Audigy FX has a more powerful headphone amp
But the DG/DGX can easily drive the 50-Ohm HD598.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back