The Nameless Guide To PC Gaming Audio (with binaural headphone surround sound)
Nov 13, 2016 at 8:53 AM Post #3,692 of 4,136
Many of you have much more sophisticated sound setups than me. But, I'm happy with my new PC that I just finished:

Mini-ITX form factor case - The Ncase M1  (one of the very smallest out there right now... was a tough build... tight quarters)
Asus Z170i Pro Gaming motherboard
i7-6700k
Noctua C14 HSF CPU cooler
nVidia 1080-FE
Corsair DDR4-3200 (16GB)
Corsair SF600 power supply

With no room for a separate sound card with the Mini-ITX size, I went with an inexpensive DAC, the Udac3. My Sennheiser PC360 headset I use when the wife is home. When she is not home I use the powered M-Audio AV40's (2.0, I may get a sub-woofer). The RCA's and the headphones plug into the DAC. We play a lot of Battlefield 4 and 1 and have been happy with the sound.

Nov 16, 2016 at 8:56 AM Post #3,693 of 4,136
Many of you have much more sophisticated sound setups than me. But, I'm happy with my new PC that I just finished:

Mini-ITX form factor case - The Ncase M1  (one of the very smallest out there right now... was a tough build... tight quarters)
i7-6700k
nVidia 1080-FE
Corsair DDR4-3200 (16GB)

With no room for a separate sound card with the Mini-ITX size, I went with an inexpensive DAC, the Udac3. My Sennheiser PC360 headset I use when the wife is home. When she is not home I use the powered M-Audio AV40's (2.0, I may get a sub-woofer). The RCA's and the headphones plug into the DAC. We play a lot of Battlefield 4 and 1 and have been happy with the sound.

are you still under time to still return any parts with full money back?

Nov 16, 2016 at 2:42 PM Post #3,695 of 4,136

i7-6700k
nVidia 1080-FE
Corsair DDR4-3200 (16GB)

Wow this case is small. as a fellow mini-ITX convert I salute You, building this must've been a bitch.

Nov 17, 2016 at 12:33 PM Post #3,697 of 4,136
I've received my GSX 1000 just about two days ago. Haven't had much time to test it. I fired up Arma III though and compared it directly to the G5, which I also own. My issue with the G5 (and many others share it) was that it was nigh impossible to distinguish front from rear cues. They just sounded the same. Now with the GSX there is really a difference there and from the limited testing I did I can say that I'm quite happy with the surround solution they are offering.

I don't really care much about all the different options available on the device, but suit yourself. You can also have up to four different settings profiles. I don't think I'll be using the touch display much, nor the volume wheel. Once I've found my perfect setting, I'll simply be switching between surround and stereo output. Volume I always control with a Razer Orb Weaver.

The only minor gripe I'm having is that once you've set sound to surround 7.1 in Windows (which is mandatory if you wanna get surround through the GSX), you can only choose between 16 bit 44.1kHz and 48kHz. No 24 bit. The G5 gives you those 24bit options. Not that it makes much of a difference to my ears, but it's surely gonna bother some of you audiophiles. You can get 24 bit even up to 96kHz (in this case the GSX displays "2.0 HD" instead of "2.0"), but for that you need to set the device back to stereo in Windows sound settings. Which is rather inconvenient if you ask me. Again, not that I really care, my ears are too bad to hear a difference. But I've seen it possible on the G5, and I think for the price Sennheiser is asking they should have added 24 bit support. Maybe they'll enable it via firmware update, but I'm not sure if that's actually possible.

All in all, whether the excellent surround and build quality justifies the hefty price is up for you to decide. I'll certainly be keeping it, but others might wanna wait for some proper reviews.

Nov 17, 2016 at 3:57 PM Post #3,699 of 4,136
Can you test if the Virtual Surround is also being sent to the line output?

Nov 20, 2016 at 11:00 AM Post #3,702 of 4,136
Well that is a bit of a bummer. The soundblaster Z's have a speaker variant that isn't as good as headphones but produces a better effect than just stereo.

Sennheiser is a headphone maker. That is the field they excel on. I rather have them do this right than compromise on both headphone and speaker surround. Got the device a few days ago. Sounds very promising so far.

Nov 20, 2016 at 2:52 PM Post #3,703 of 4,136
The big issue on not having the surround options on the line out is the ability to use the unit as a DAC attached to a separate amp. I'm sure that people with higher end cans would want to use their existing amp rather than the integrated amp in a gaming device. 

Nov 20, 2016 at 3:27 PM Post #3,704 of 4,136
The big issue on not having the surround options on the line out is the ability to use the unit as a DAC attached to a separate amp. I'm sure that people with higher end cans would want to use their existing amp rather than the integrated amp in a gaming device. 

That is true. The only possibility you have is to accept the built in dac and to double amp the headphone out with the amp of your choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back