The Most Overrated Headphone goes to..
Oct 21, 2002 at 4:14 PM Post #76 of 95
I would very strongly disagree with any notion that Headroom "voices" their amps with one particular headphone.After spending this week with a few Headroom amps and many,many phones that became even more obvious.The various user adjustable settings should have dispelled that a while back.If the Headroom amps were designed to work with the HD600 they would'nt need gain,brightness,and crossfeed adustments,they would just have a volume control.Those adjustments were specifically designed to allow the use of many different phones.

As far as overated,I must vote for the HP890,I knew it would'nt take long for that love-fest to end.I also voted for the AKG501,these are not nearly as good as owners say they are.No bass to speak of and far,far from neutral.This is one of those phones I would never think of purchasing if I owned only a headphone system.

Oct 21, 2002 at 4:28 PM Post #77 of 95
Tuberoller,

Good to hear from you.

Set everything to zero and let me know what you hear with anything other than the 600's.

Also, does every Headroom amp available have a brightness control? If they do I will gladly edit my previous post.

You once even told me yourself that you thought the entire industry probably voiced their amps for the 600's.

Talk soon.

Best
Brian

Oct 21, 2002 at 7:19 PM Post #78 of 95
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
Though I sometimes wonder if Eagle Driver is trying to bait a certain V700 lover, I agree with what he's saying here. There are a handful of Sony headphones I obviously don't like that are nonetheless respected among other Head-Fi'ers: CD1700, CD3000, etc. If you take those out of the equation along with the verticles that Vertigo swears by and the F1s that a lot of people dig...

You just had to mention the F1s didn't you
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

I've just plugged my pair into my X-Can V2, and been blown away... these sound completely different to how I remember them... I could get to liking them... a LOT
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Oct 21, 2002 at 8:02 PM Post #79 of 95
Quote:

Originally posted by Duncan
You just had to mention the F1s didn't you
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

I've just plugged my pair into my X-Can V2, and been blown away... these sound completely different to how I remember them... I could get to liking them... a LOT
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

You should hear them with an EAR HP4
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 21, 2002 at 8:06 PM Post #81 of 95
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
You should hear them with an EAR HP4
very_evil_smiley.gif

Now now Hirsch... don't tempt me to buy another amp
frown.gif
frown.gif

So, just how good are they running through a top notch amp? to your ears, do they give more established 'phones a run for their money??

Thanks
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally posted by RickG
Or, an EMP...

biggrin.gif

Hey you two... shurrup!!
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif

<plays self hypnosis tape labelled 'how not to spend money'>

Oct 22, 2002 at 5:53 AM Post #82 of 95
Quote:

Originally posted by Duncan
<plays self hypnosis tape labelled 'how not to spend money'>

(In his best Horshack impression) Oo! Oo! Where can I buy that tape?

Oct 22, 2002 at 2:42 PM Post #83 of 95
Quote:

Originally posted by bkelly

Anyhow, back on target with the "Most Underrated Headphones". I don't understand how the R10 even got on this list since it seems nearly impossile that enough people have heard it to make a complaint.

isnt this the most OVERrated headphone thread???
confused.gif

I can understand why some may argue the R10 is overrated despite never hearing it before... i dunno, i am not so sure you really need to hear it to believe it.

Oct 22, 2002 at 2:52 PM Post #84 of 95
tongue.gif
Ingenious thoughts from Australia...
biggrin.gif

Oct 22, 2002 at 4:20 PM Post #85 of 95
Taoster,

Sorry about the over/under-rated confusion .

Best
Brian

Oct 22, 2002 at 4:49 PM Post #86 of 95
Had to vote for the v6 (7506). It's the only one I heard of the lot, but damn after all that hype I really was very disappointed.

Oct 23, 2002 at 1:48 AM Post #87 of 95
Taoster,

Why are the RS1 and RS2 grouped together while the 580 and 600 are seperated?

Best
Brian

Oct 23, 2002 at 1:35 PM Post #89 of 95
Taoster,

What interested you about the results differences between the 580's and the 600's?

Are you surprised by the results of this poll?

Best
Brian

Oct 23, 2002 at 1:48 PM Post #90 of 95
You can vote for more than one headphone right? If so, the difference between the HD580 and HD600 votes isn't really measurable. I only voted for one headphone regardless, but I think others didn't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back