The most drastic break-in I've ever experienced! AKG K518
Aug 11, 2010 at 5:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

shnitz

100+ Head-Fier
Man oh man.  I currently picked up a pair of AKG K518 on ebay (they're the fuchsia ones, but they were only $35 still packaged, so I bit).  BTW, I still have to look up how to spell fuchsia, my mind can't get the letter's order correct, haha.  Anyway, they came in, and I let them break in the rest of the day and overnight.  The next day, I decided to listen to them, and man was I disappointed.  They sounded tinny.  A friend of mine with a much better ear than mine was over, and she was also very disappointed by my new "DJ" headphones.  We both agreed that compared to other headphones we had at my dad's house, like AKG K240 Studio, K450, Sennheiser PMX80, Ultrasone Pro 650, etc. this was a complete letdown.  I looked online to see if there was any proliferation of fake K518/K81, and decided that they were real and sounded decent, just not what they were cracked up to be.  However, I ended up using them, since I had them, for movies and such in front of my computer.  One day, I watched the latest Terminator, and wow was I blown away.  Suddenly everything was clear, I could hear separation, space, all that good stuff.  After the movie I called my friend, and she and I tested the headphones again, with music.  Geez, it's ridiculous how much the sound changed; break-in just took longer with these than with other headphones.  The Beach Boys - Good Vibrations sounds amazing with these.  So does Gorillaz' Plastic Beach album.  They are definitely worthy of entering into my headphone rotation with the rest of my collection.  I've gotta say, I'm turning into a pretty big AKG fan.  Although, the Ultrasone are really good as well, and my friend's 32-Ohm Beyer DT880 are pretty sick too.  Unfortunately, or fortunately as the case may be, we're all pretty happy with our current investments, so none of us have the bug to upgrade.  Maybe one day, when I'm rich, I'll pick up a pair of Ultrasone Edition-whatever-number-they're-up-to, just for kicks.

Also, I noticed that certain colors of the K518 are on sale right now at Amazon for $50. Green and yellow, specifically.  The other colors are about $80, which is just average online price.  For $50, you're getting them as cheap as old-stock K81s.

Last, what is the best bass headphones for ~$150?  Just kidding, I'm blown away by how many people sign up and ask this question as their first or second post, even though it's answered like 5 times a day.  Must be the reason that the no cursing rule was instated on these forums, haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back