The Monster.... Turbine... thinggy
Mar 6, 2009 at 6:43 PM Post #271 of 386
Hello, well, i doubt i would have warranty in any case so that is not a big concern for me. I can understand it is for others though. I often have no warranty when buying stuff in the states and it would be a big hassle to have to ship it back to the states anyway, would take at least 2 weeks to get there and shiping from nl isnt cheap either. for 75 euros (roughly) i think i would take the risk though.
But that is me personally of course.
Greetings, Anouk,

Mar 6, 2009 at 7:15 PM Post #273 of 386
Buy Monster® Cable Products from Our Emonster® Online Partners or a Dealer Near You

buy.com is listed as an authorized dealer for some of Monster's products.

However, if you got the the Turbines product page... only Amazon is listed as an Authorized dealer.

http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=3959

Since Buy.com is a Monster Cable partner. I doubt they would jeopardize that relationship by selling fake Turbines. Just an assumption on my part.

I have bought form buy.com before and never had a problem.

Mar 6, 2009 at 8:03 PM Post #274 of 386
Hello, well at least for me,i buy a lot of my headphones second hand because it just gets too costly to buy stuff new and then to sell it, and i have no warranty then either. There are not many stores close to where i live and i do all my shopping online. Luckily (knock on wood) i have never had any problems with headphones before, although i guess things happen earlier with iems then with fullsize cans. I wonder if it is possible to recable iems like you can do with fullsize headphones? Of course you would need a pretty light and small cable....
Greetings, Anouk,

Mar 7, 2009 at 6:29 AM Post #276 of 386
Soo hmm, i just got my phones today and i'm loving them. Using them primarily on my zune and the sound now is so rich and smooth compared to the original zune premium earphones. The zune earphones i realised sounded alot harsher and the music was moving fast in my ears to me (except maybe i have new earphone symdrome which i doubt i dont).

Just like listening to my HFI-780 cans without the obstruction of the cable. Speaking of the cable, the length is really nice but i doubt tall people would find it convenient though except that can be carrying their mp3 player around rather than leaving it in their pocket.

RnB tracks and "well-produced" rap tracks sound so amazing with these like you wanna sleep with them. Isolation is great, bass is smooth with the eartips that were already on them. I tried the bigger triple flanges tip that came with it and the bass got stronger for me so i went back with the presets.

Really happy with these. they make my listening alot more enjoayble cuz i hear the vocals alot more clearly to the point i hear how some rappers have bad breathe control on their poorly produced tracks. Also, I get to hear alot more details in the instruments used.

I got mine for $124 on ebay but the seller has redueced the price again by 5 dollars. here is the link,MONSTER TURBINE BEST IN EAR HEADPHONES High Performanc - (eBay.ca item 250377319225 end time 23-Mar-09 00:23:07 EDT) , as of right now he has 7 left.

Mar 7, 2009 at 6:50 PM Post #278 of 386
I just wanted to report that I'm getting great results with the Sony EX silicon tips. They don't extend past the end of the nozzle as far as the stock silicons, so it seems that treble opens up and soundstage increases. The barrel goes a bit further into your canal too because of this, allowing them to 'lock' in your ear better.

Mar 10, 2009 at 4:31 AM Post #279 of 386
Hi cn11 and tstarn06,

How goes the burning in? Has enough time passed yet? I'm so anxious to see both your feedback on how the IE8, Atrio and MT compare. I'm a massive basshead and looking to upgrade from my ex700.

Mar 10, 2009 at 4:45 AM Post #280 of 386
Quote:

Originally Posted by aBc.CaN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi cn11 and tstarn06,

How goes the burning in? Has enough time passed yet? I'm so anxious to see both your feedback on how the IE8, Atrio and MT compare. I'm a massive basshead and looking to upgrade from my ex700.

I feel that my Turbines are fully burned in now, after not quite a week of use. They didn't seem to transform as much as the IE8's, or over such a long time period. From one basshead to another, I think you have the three top bass phones listed there. It's very hard to quantify the bass of each in comparison to the other. However, I tend to think that the IE8's have the best of the bunch. They have 90-95% of the ultimate extension of the Atrios, but with more tightness. They sort of 'whack' harder. The Atrio's bass is a little more wooly. The Turbines are very very close to the IE8 bass. In fact, they sound like the little brother to the IE8's in many ways. They just don't quite have the treble and soundstage refinement of the IE8's. But I think they're one heck of a value for their retail. The bass of the Turbines is sort of a combination of the IE8's and Atrios, meaning they have a little more wooliness than the IE8's, but are a bit tighter than the Atrios. Overall, the Atrios seem like the least refined earphone of the lot.

Hope this helps. You really can't go wrong with any of the three if bass is your favorite part of the sound signature. It comes down to budget I suppose. Atrios can be had for about $130, the Turbines are about $149, and the IE8's range anywhere from $230-ish (depending if you can find that retailer with actual stock on hand) to full retail of $449.

Mar 10, 2009 at 5:33 AM Post #281 of 386
Monster adds something interesting into the mix with the Senn IE8's stepping the dynamics game. But I've still yet to hear a dynamic driver in an IEM best a multi balanced armature set up.

Of course, the Monster Turbine is a decidedly lower end product. Wouldn't really be fair to compare it my current favorite. I've moved onto a different Westone.
wink.gif

I'm not really Monster's target market.

Oh, and I'm a much tougher customer, as I don't use an iPhone or iPod as a source.

-Ed

Mar 10, 2009 at 6:00 AM Post #282 of 386
From monster, I received the information that the spec for the Turbine is:

"the driver diameter is 8mm. The sensitivity is spec'd at 97db/mw @ 1kHz"

and Ed, despite the turbine are an inexpensive solution compared to many others does not make it any less the phone. The same has happened here with many phones. I think we are just seeing a revolution in the headphone world where there is so much competition that the prices are being driven down on top-tier products.

i hope this continues.

Mar 10, 2009 at 6:21 AM Post #283 of 386
I have to update my initial impressions on the turbine. I have been listening to the Turbines exclusively for the past two weeks. I have come to like the sound overall. I am not sure if it is burn-in or brain burn-in but the bass that was overwhelming in the beginning has toned down and become better.

The sound signature is better balanced than it was in the beginning. It has a warm sound signature. The highs and mids lack the intense clarity of the Phonak PFE. The Turbines still offer pretty decent clarity overall.

If someone was looking for a warm sounding phone with good bass response I'd highly recommend them.

Mar 10, 2009 at 8:04 AM Post #285 of 386
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From monster, I received the information that the spec for the Turbine is:

"the driver diameter is 8mm. The sensitivity is spec'd at 97db/mw @ 1kHz"

and Ed, despite the turbine are an inexpensive solution compared to many others does not make it any less the phone. The same has happened here with many phones. I think we are just seeing a revolution in the headphone world where there is so much competition that the prices are being driven down on top-tier products.

i hope this continues.

Specs smecks. I'll believe it when I hear it. I'll bet real money that the Turbines don't quite measure up to high end triple driver armature based IEM's like the Triple.Fi and Westone 3 when it comes to PRAT, detail, and imaging.

But it's still a moot point, the price points are still too far apart. In the end, it's someone buying a Porsche Boxster because they can't afford a 911.

Although it's not really a good analogy for me since I drive cheap cars to afford my headphone habit.
biggrin.gif

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back