The Monster.... Turbine... thinggy
Feb 28, 2009 at 6:05 AM Post #241 of 386
Hello all. I'm in the market for a new pair of IEM's and I have a few questions about the turbines. I should probably explain where I'm coming from first though.

I'm by no means an audiophile. I just don't have the ear to distinguish the finer points of sound like you all can. That being said, I can distinguish the differences between a $50 pair of phones and a $200 pair (although I wouldn't be able to go into any specifics).

I'm really liking what I've been reading about these phones, with one giant exception: cord quality/strain reduction. I've had pretty horrible luck with phones falling apart on me in the past (two pairs of V-moda vibes, and these collapsible over-ears that broke down like clockwork every 6 months), so I find cord quality issues somewhat disturbing.

So here's my question: should I go with a pair of these or a pair of similarly priced IEM's like the PFE's? Since I'm in no rush for a new pair of phones, waiting a bit to see how the turbines hold up is also an option. Ideally someone would run some sort of stress test on them, but that seems like a bit of a long shot. I certainly wouldn't be willing to put $150 worth of equipment through tests which might potentially break them.

Thanks in advance!

Feb 28, 2009 at 6:23 AM Post #242 of 386
Quote:

Originally Posted by Destrado /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello all. I'm in the market for a new pair of IEM's and I have a few questions about the turbines. I should probably explain where I'm coming from first though.

I'm by no means an audiophile. I just don't have the ear to distinguish the finer points of sound like you all can. That being said, I can distinguish the differences between a $50 pair of phones and a $200 pair (although I wouldn't be able to go into any specifics).

Well, if you can tell the difference and you are on here, you may be an audiophile!

Quote:

I'm really liking what I've been reading about these phones, with one giant exception: cord quality/strain reduction. I've had pretty horrible luck with phones falling apart on me in the past (two pairs of V-moda vibes, and these collapsible over-ears that broke down like clockwork every 6 months), so I find cord quality issues somewhat disturbing.

So here's my question: should I go with a pair of these or a pair of similarly priced IEM's like the PFE's? Since I'm in no rush for a new pair of phones, waiting a bit to see how the turbines hold up is also an option. Ideally someone would run some sort of stress test on them, but that seems like a bit of a long shot. I certainly wouldn't be willing to put $150 worth of equipment through tests which might potentially break them.

Thanks in advance!

IMO, there are 2 things to consider here:
1) What sound sig do you prefer, as they are different (and you can read all about the differences in various threads, if you haven't already). Also size and comfort might be a consideration.
2) Both seem to have some cable issues. The PFE has a 2 year warranty and Phonak seems very good about honoring that warranty. I am not sure about Monster, could be just as good, but I have not heard, so that is a wild card.

Feb 28, 2009 at 3:06 PM Post #243 of 386
Quote:

Thanks in advance!

Well, I have them both, and have been using the Turbines a lot for outdoor stuff, mainly walking, since they are very comfy (I use the smaller single flange silicones and they are a perfect fit for me), easy to remove and replace, and they keep sounding better and better. They do not outperform the W3s or the PFEs (the latter when amped, which I prefer with the PFEs), but having said that, the Turbines do not need an amp, so if that's an issue (you don't want to carry an amp,even a small one), SQ-wise they are very good.

They are dynamic phones, which tend to be more bass-oriented. Also, the bass tames after the first 20-30 hours of use, so if they sound too bassy at first, it will change in time.

Either the PFEs or the Turbines are a good value, price v. SQ.

So far, I have not had any problems/issues with the cables or strain relief, with either phone. The PFEs are less microphonic, as native over the ear phones, but you can wear the Turbines that way too, though with a shirt clip, which I always use, they don't make excessive noise (to me).

It is prudent to wait and see as for durability. I use my IEMs very lightly, in the sense that I don't travel a lot or commute, so I may not be the perfect person on that front. But seo far, none of the cable issues mentioned on Head-Fi have visited me.

Either way, you will be happy. But my view is the PFEs really are a phone for amping, and the Turbines are not. Of course, many HFers use the PFEs unamped, and love them.

Feb 28, 2009 at 3:14 PM Post #244 of 386
I've been doing some homework with google, and it looks like so long as you purchase through an authorized dealer (amazon, for example), then you're covered. Reviews for their cables all have positive things to say about Monster honoring their warranty, but I've only seen reviews for their cables as of yet. However, I haven't been able to find any actual details on the length/coverage of the warranty on their site.

That being said, I found a site that claimed they came with a full usa warranty, which I assume means full coverage.

I'm planning on making a call to monster later today to get some clarification. I'll let you know what I find out.

EDIT: whoops, didn't see tstarn's response. I don't have an amp nor do I plan on getting one, so it looks like the Turbines might be a better choice in that area. I like to think I'm pretty gentle with my electronics, but any pair of portable headphones I own are going to be doing a lot of riding around in my pockets.

Feb 28, 2009 at 3:25 PM Post #245 of 386
I would be glad to check for you too. As you may or may not know (this thread tells you), Monster gave away several pair of the Turbines to Head-Fi'ers as trial phones, to test and review. Mine fall into that category. My view of them is in no way biased because of that, if they stunk (or were just fair even), I would say that. But they are a good value, with good SQ, driver build, etc. Cable issues are another matter, as I already noted. So far, no problems here.

Oh, the warranty period for the Turbines is one year, checked the box.

Feb 28, 2009 at 3:33 PM Post #246 of 386
Turbines ordered. Will report impressions once they've been used for a while. Looking forward to seeing what the ruckus is all about with them.

Feb 28, 2009 at 6:18 PM Post #247 of 386
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Turbines ordered. Will report impressions once they've been used for a while. Looking forward to seeing what the ruckus is all about with them.

Nice! compare them with the IE8
regular_smile .gif

Feb 28, 2009 at 6:40 PM Post #248 of 386
Quote:

I'm eager to hear your thoughts. I brought my Turbines out with me yesterday, and they made an afternoon of shooting pictures pure bliss.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 28, 2009 at 7:07 PM Post #249 of 386
Quote:

Originally Posted by ottoyu34 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice! compare them with the IE8
regular_smile .gif

I sure will. In fact, I also ordered the Phonaks, so I'm planning to do a review titled: 4-way review- 3 dynamics and 1 balanced armature (Atrio v2, IE8, Turbine, Phonaks).
biggrin.gif

Feb 28, 2009 at 7:11 PM Post #250 of 386
Quote:

I sure will. In fact, I also ordered the Phonaks, so I'm planning to do a review titled: 4-way review- 3 dynamics and 1 balanced armature (Atrio v2, IE8, Turbine, Phonaks).
biggrin.gif

Wow. that will be quite an experience!

What would be the reason behind this?
bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 28, 2009 at 9:59 PM Post #251 of 386
Quote:

biggrin.gif

Too bad you aren't going to throw the W3s in that mix, but nice none the less.

Mar 1, 2009 at 1:33 AM Post #253 of 386
Quote:

Originally Posted by pfloyd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ordered turbines from Amazon on ANTonline storefront for $115.78 shipped last night but could not find deal today. One day sale?

I saw the same deal, looks like it's over now. The Turbines aren't even listed on ANTonline's own site anymore.

Oh well.

Mar 1, 2009 at 2:25 AM Post #254 of 386
This thread is remaining alive, this is good!

tstarn, any comparison between the Turbines and your new IE8s yet?

I have already convinced a friend of mine (non-Head-fier, but loves music and good sound) to try the Turbines and looking forward to his first week with them.

Still enjoying my Turbines a lot, but there are so many comparably priced alternatives that it really comes down to sound preference and comfort. Still a very Grado-like sound, but the Turbines also excel with classical and other acoustic music.

Mar 1, 2009 at 2:53 AM Post #255 of 386
Haven't gotten the Senns yet. And based on all accounts, need serious burn in. But I intend to do a comparo, for sure. I am also enjoying the Turbines, and with the W3s and PFEs, a nice collection. The IE8s are supposed to arrive 3/4.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back