The Monster.... Turbine... thinggy
Mar 1, 2009 at 3:10 AM Post #256 of 386
Cool, so later this week the questions will start again...

I'll hold off until I hear how your burn-in is going.

Mar 2, 2009 at 10:49 AM Post #257 of 386
Hello everyone, Thanks to tsaron for pointing me towards this thread.
I am pretty interested in these but I was not able to get a good seal with the ie8 eve nwith comply t400 tips so I am rather afraid to get them especially since you cant return them. I NEED good isolation so if they dont seal well they wouldnt be for me. It seems they just didnt insert deep enough and even with the comply tips it was not large enough to fill up my ear canal right. i owned the shure se530 before and they sealed perfectly but sounded nunnattural/fatiguing and harsh to me with no soundstage and totally unnatural bass.
I LOVED the ie8 sound though! but i had no seal so i had to sell them.
Btw, anyone know what the difference is between comply t400 and t500 and if the monster can use both?
oh if anyone is interested in custom iems that are not as costly as the dynamic driver future sonics check In-Ear-Monitoring von ohr & more.
part of their site is in English too.
I wonder if anyone can compare these to the ie/atrio v28? I realize you guys have 2 months with those babies but I hope some more reviews will come up.
Have you heard them yet, headphoneaddict?

Greetings, Anouk,

Mar 2, 2009 at 2:38 PM Post #258 of 386
It's going to take time, but once the IE8s arrive (Wednesday, I think) and they are burned in properly, I am going to do an A/B listen to the Turbines and the IE8s, of course. I can only speak for my experience with the Atrio M5 v1, and to me, in my view, the Turbines are a much more balanced phone and need no EQing to hear detail in mids and highs, unlike the M5v1, which I thought offered recessed mids and highs (needed EQ).

Plus, and this has been said before, the Turbines are very rugged in that they are metal, not plastic, like the Atrios. Cable-wise, I haven't had any issues with the Turbine cable, but it is thin and strain relief is minimalist be design. Doesn't mean it's weak, but it could be with commuter use, etc.

As for the tips, I have both T400s (which do fit the Turbines) and T500s (haven't tried them yet). I believe the T500 sound tubes are a little larger circumference-wise), so they may be a little too large for the Turbines. But I will check today and PM you with the results. The 400 and the 500 are the same height/thickness, I believe.

Also, I really doubt you will have any problems getting a good seal with the Turbines, since they are a pretty much straightforward canal phone, with plenty of sound tube length (not short like the IE8s or W3s).

Finally, I usually don't like silicone tips, but the small single flange tips that came with the Turbines work for me, perfect fit. They have larger ones too, which might work for you.

Anyway, I will post my comparison between the Turbines and the IE8s once the latter are burned in properly.

Mar 4, 2009 at 4:46 AM Post #260 of 386
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phantom87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just bought this off e-bay and should get it by thursday. i'll give yall my experiences later on with my zune. Thanks to tstarn06 from a previous respose on a thread i created earlier.

Congrats! I hope/bet you'll enjoy them!

Mar 4, 2009 at 5:42 AM Post #261 of 386
Bought the Turbine over the weekend so I'll let you guys know what I think when they get here. I'm really psyched!!!

Mar 5, 2009 at 3:44 PM Post #262 of 386
Just got mine yesterday, and have been listening a bit. I did music burn in overnight, and am listening at work today. Initial impression is that I really like them. They remind me of the IE8's little brother. They do a lot of what the IE8's do, but just not quite as expansive with the soundstage, and a hair less treble refinement. I also get slightly more bass extension with the IE8's. But so far, the Turbines are a spectacular value for the price. I am happy to have a backup earphone that is sturdy, quick and easy to get a good seal with, and that has most of the sonic attributes of the IE8's.

More to follow. I'm planning a multiple IEM review, with the Turbines, IE8's, possibly the Atrios, and Phonaks (but I'm not sure if I'll include these, as I can't get an ideal seal- or they just aren't my style in sound signature and seem very thin in presentation, but more on that at a later date). The Turbines need a few more days of burn in though, so I'm just going to listen with them for now, and run them overnight.

Mar 5, 2009 at 11:12 PM Post #264 of 386
It most certainly is there for that price.......

MONSTER MHTRBIE Turbine In Ear Headphones - MHTRBIE - Buy.com

mad.gif
I just got mine for $149 from Amazon.....

Mar 6, 2009 at 5:13 AM Post #265 of 386
Monster's policy is that they want retailers to stick to manufacturer's authorized price ($149) so they don't sell to distributers who would sell to discounters. At least that's the way it was when I left Monster. This protects the value of the products bought by Monster customers.

Long story short... It's probably not real, as they're not an authorized dealer. If you try them, make sure you use a CC that will refund your money if you don't get the product.
Regards,
Kevin
Former headphone product manager for Monster
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It most certainly is there for that price.......

MONSTER MHTRBIE Turbine In Ear Headphones - MHTRBIE - Buy.com

mad.gif
I just got mine for $149 from Amazon.....

Mar 6, 2009 at 5:42 AM Post #266 of 386
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwkarth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Long story short... It's probably not real, as they're not an authorized dealer.
Regards,
Kevin
Former headphone product manager for Monster

Not real? Like knock-offs from a large Asian manufacturing giant? Fako-phones? Ebay specials? cx300s glued to monster cable ends? Pigs in a blanket? $95... enough $ to make it seem legit, enough off to make it irresistible!

Mar 6, 2009 at 5:50 AM Post #267 of 386
Quote:

Originally Posted by thwood3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not real? Like knock-offs from a large Asian manufacturing giant? Fako-phones? Ebay specials? cx300s glued to monster cable ends? Pigs in a blanket? $95... enough $ to make it seem legit, enough off to make it irresistible!

Not real as in they don't have product to sell. We'll see, as some have already posted that they ordered.
Best,
Kevin

Mar 6, 2009 at 3:10 PM Post #270 of 386
No doubt buy.com is "legit" in terms of it being an etailer with a history, but that doesn't mean they would not sell gray market (unauthorized) goods. If I were buying from them, I might check with Monster to ensure that the warranty is good. If so, great! If not, and the cable goes bad or a driver conks out, that $96 deal won't seem as attractive. Anyway, I might at least try to find out via Monster.

Also, I have purchased several items at very good prices from buy.com in the past, and no problems. My wife twice had some annoying "not in stock" issues and had a hard time getting them to make it right. So YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back