The Monoprice MP9927 PG 208.. MP8320 (MEP-933)..The $7.11 club..
Apr 10, 2015 at 6:04 AM Post #4,261 of 4,317
How do you like them?

It'll take some time to really get a proper impression, but so far quality definitely surpasses their price.

Right side is a little weak, but that might just take some breaking in. The mids are muddy and the lows are a bit anemic (they seem to over-modulate a bit as well) - hopefully those issues too will improve with time. If I had paid $50 for these I'd probably be disappointed, but for the price I can't complain much. An absolute upgrade over, say, iPhone earbuds in terms of sound (no mic or controls, of course). Also, the microphonics issue isn't gone completely in the new pair... They're not very comfortable but they're fine for short (<2 hours) listening sessions. 

Bottom line: they're worthy of their hype on price alone. In the under-$20 category, they're a solid pick. But I don't see them beating more serious options.

Apr 10, 2015 at 6:16 AM Post #4,262 of 4,317

It'll take some time to really get a proper impression, but so far quality definitely surpasses their price.
<cut> Bottom line: they're worthy of their hype on price alone. In the under-$20 category, they're a solid pick. But I don't see them beating more serious options.

If we're talking about surpassing the price, get yourself some KZ EDSE for roughly the same cost.
You will get a HUGE improvement at least with the lows and the build quality :wink:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/698148/knowledge-zenith-kz-impressions-thread

Apr 13, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #4,263 of 4,317

I've been using these all the time for stage monitoring. I'm not a huge fan of how the cable can 'kink' or get a fairly permanent crease, but if wound up in a case similar to what Shure IEM's come in, it will not happen.

I modded these at week 2 or 3 of ownership with two paperclips and masking tape. Although it is pretty ugly, it is functional and works great, and they stay on my head when I'm on stage. I can monitor bass, drums, keys, guitars, vox and still clearly hear each. 

For ~$8, these can't be beat. The only thing close that I like are the Sony MDR earbuds for less than $25. Price point aside, these Monoprice 8320 buds sound better.

That's amazing. Definitely trying that with some heat shrink tubing. 

Use these daily on the subway/bus ride with slightly modified tips. 

May 22, 2015 at 7:55 AM Post #4,264 of 4,317
Got my 9927 today. Not as exciting as Sony MH1 or LG Quadbeat 2 but a more balanced response than either. I think I have a new favorite this price segment.
etysmile.gif

May 22, 2015 at 8:56 AM Post #4,265 of 4,317
How about that bass impact!? It reminds me of my Creative Aurvana Live!. It's as if your entire eardrum in moving on in sync with every kick drum hit. Not all IEMs and headphones have this, it really adds enjoyment to the listening experience and bears more resemblance how it sounds on speakers.

The more I listen the more I hear the coloration in the upper mids unfortunately. At least it's coloration and not strident, harsh or grating.

May 25, 2015 at 8:40 PM Post #4,266 of 4,317
Got 1 pair of 8320 todays

Lack of bass for sure but the mid high are clearly there and make it pretty good for vocal and stuff

Listened to the m9p after make me realise vocal seem behind and the bass is brutal

The jvc xx the small black one with killing treble sound like crap compared to both

Still need to see the soundstage. M9p vs 8320

The new m9 classic have smaller casing so i may try them

Jun 16, 2015 at 3:10 AM Post #4,267 of 4,317
They're my goto pair for almost 2 years now. Right now I'm listening to Bob Dylan and they are so good at representing that kind of music. And that at $7... Well $14 for me but still... !!!

Jul 10, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #4,268 of 4,317
Dec 14, 2015 at 1:59 AM Post #4,270 of 4,317
I ordered a pair of the 8320 along with another Monoprice offering, the 9396 (http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=108&cp_id=10823&cs_id=1082303&p_id=9396&seq=1&format=2).

I found the 8320s too large and "conch-shell"-like to fit in my ear comfortably, no matter what tip I tried.  They also had a tendency to work loose whenever I moved my head - super annoying.  At eight bucks it's not worth it to return them so I'll stick them in my elephant's graveyard shoebox of earphones that might be useful during the apocalypse.

I much preferred the 9396, the fit was nicer and they stayed in my ear, even when I was moving around at the gym.  They'll replace my old Sony earbuds that finally died. 

They're actually cheaper than the 8320 by about fifty cents, too.  That's at least good enough for a can of soda from the vending machine.

Dec 14, 2015 at 9:21 PM Post #4,271 of 4,317
  I ordered a pair of the 8320 along with another Monoprice offering, the 9396 (http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=108&cp_id=10823&cs_id=1082303&p_id=9396&seq=1&format=2).

I found the 8320s too large and "conch-shell"-like to fit in my ear comfortably, no matter what tip I tried.  They also had a tendency to work loose whenever I moved my head - super annoying.  At eight bucks it's not worth it to return them so I'll stick them in my elephant's graveyard shoebox of earphones that might be useful during the apocalypse.

I much preferred the 9396, the fit was nicer and they stayed in my ear, even when I was moving around at the gym.  They'll replace my old Sony earbuds that finally died. 

They're actually cheaper than the 8320 by about fifty cents, too.  That's at least good enough for a can of soda from the vending machine.

where are you getting a can of soda for 50 cents!

this does not exist in Canada!!!!!

I forgot how the 8320 sounded but the fit is terrible, I had to sand the edges of my pair when I had it,

it looked soo bad

Jan 28, 2016 at 11:37 PM Post #4,272 of 4,317
Has anyone tried buying those custom silicone tips from ACS? http://www.acscustom.com/us/index.php/in-ear-monitors/custom-earphone-sleeves

It seems that everyone complains about the fit and seal. It seems that this may be a solution, although pricey im sure they could be used for other earphones...

Mar 19, 2016 at 8:53 PM Post #4,274 of 4,317
Anyone found an IEM in China (Aliexpress/eBay) that sounds like the Monoprices? At a price of around $8-12?

it would be difficult at that price range as the monoprice despite the drop in hype is quite remarkable sounding at its price

whatsholding it back is its ergonomics (i a lot of people couldn't fidn a good comfortable fit with them)

myself in clmded i need to shave down some of the fins on the botton

Mar 20, 2016 at 2:00 PM Post #4,275 of 4,317
The 9396 is my backup in my gym bag. (Backup to my Koss KSC-75s. These are hard to beat for connecting to TVs at the gym.)

The 9396s also make a great gift to non-audiophile friends - or gym buddies who forget their own phones.

I'm still waiting for reviews of the Monoprice 14456 -- the new, dual driver earphones with microphone at $19.99:

http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=14456

Users who are viewing this thread

Back