The Monoprice MP9927 PG 208.. MP8320 (MEP-933)..The $7.11 club..
Jan 28, 2012 at 6:46 PM Post #1,382 of 4,317
I got both the PL11's and 8320's and tested them now. the 8320's are about 6 hour burned in and then PL11's are about 1 hour..... for me. the PL11's win. the PL11's are compared with Sennheiser CX300's and the 8320's you guys already know, the 8320's sound too think with very bad vocals and fall apart on complex tracks....a majority of songs basically. the PL11's on complex rock songs starts to lag behind. it's not fast nd quick like my studio's but it still reproudces vocals, highs, and bass good. i will burn the 8320's to 20 hours and then do another recheck.

current testing setup: the pl11 and 8320's aren't plugged in in the pic.

Jan 29, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #1,383 of 4,317
still hold the same thoughts about the 8320's?

Quote:
I got both the PL11's and 8320's and tested them now. the 8320's are about 6 hour burned in and then PL11's are about 1 hour..... for me. the PL11's win. the PL11's are compared with Sennheiser CX300's and the 8320's you guys already know, the 8320's sound too think with very bad vocals and fall apart on complex tracks....a majority of songs basically. the PL11's on complex rock songs starts to lag behind. it's not fast nd quick like my studio's but it still reproudces vocals, highs, and bass good. i will burn the 8320's to 20 hours and then do another recheck.

current testing setup: the pl11 and 8320's aren't plugged in in the pic.

Jan 30, 2012 at 9:09 AM Post #1,385 of 4,317

Quote:
still hold the same thoughts about the 8320's?

uhhh...yeah...if you told me they were skullcandy's $30 earbuds. i would agree. i have 10 hours of burn in on them. i have 1 hour of burn in on PL11's and i am loving them. i wil make a more definite opinion and write an PL11 review with inclduign some impressions of MP8320 sometime this week wehn i get 50 hours on both. 

Feb 1, 2012 at 8:36 AM Post #1,386 of 4,317
Just to let all you groupbuy guys know that they have arrived in the Uk safe and sound.

I will most likely be posting them all out to you in one lot on Friday,  so this is a last chance call to all those that may be interested, you have till Friday to PM if your interested in being part of the groupbuy, after they have been posted there won't be anymore available at the groupbuy price.

Feb 1, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #1,388 of 4,317
Someone needs to block my Debit Card and access to this site.  I keep spending money.

Luckily this time it was just a VERY inexpensive pair.  (Though I did order 2 of them).

I look forward to checking these out. 
smile.gif

Feb 5, 2012 at 7:20 AM Post #1,389 of 4,317
Got my 8320's yesterday.....I haven't had much time to listen to them but so far I'm impressed.  Not as much bass as I expected....half due to some comments written here and the size of the driver.  But it is of a very decent quality and much quicker than I expected.  Overall they seem fairly neutral, highs are smooth and not sibilant at all, mids are more to my liking than the SHH3580....certainly not as V shaped....rock is sounding very good with these.  Soundstage is really very good, wide and far more 3D than the Philips.
What is really surprising for me is the fit.....personally they are perfect, I have not troubles at all. 
I'm really interested to see what Joker makes of these, regardless of how he rates them for SQ I can only see him giving these a 10 for Value......there can't be anything out there that comes close for £8!

Thanks to Dsnuts for the recommendation and Some1 for organising the group buy!
beerchug.gif

Feb 5, 2012 at 9:32 AM Post #1,390 of 4,317

Quote:
Got my 8320's yesterday.....I haven't had much time to listen to them but so far I'm impressed.  Not as much bass as I expected....half due to some comments written here and the size of the driver.  But it is of a very decent quality and much quicker than I expected.  Overall they seem fairly neutral, highs are smooth and not sibilant at all, mids are more to my liking than the SHH3580....certainly not as V shaped....rock is sounding very good with these.  Soundstage is really very good, wide and far more 3D than the Philips.
What is really surprising for me is the fit.....personally they are perfect, I have not troubles at all. 
I'm really interested to see what Joker makes of these, regardless of how he rates them for SQ I can only see him giving these a 10 for Value......there can't be anything out there that comes close for £8!

Thanks to Dsnuts for the recommendation and Some1 for organising the group buy!
beerchug.gif

Hey glad they fit well for you. They are kinda big so you can see how guys with smallish ears can have some issues. It all depends on the user. Good fit= good sound. Bad fit=bad sound. Glad you like them.I bet many a guys thought I was crazy when I mentioned these have about 90% of the sound of the EX600. But it is true and this is coming from someone that owns both.. Considering these things cost less than the tax payed for a EX600 it is quite astonishing. You enjoy one of the top hidden gems of the iem world.

Feb 5, 2012 at 12:41 PM Post #1,391 of 4,317
For anyone interested in recabling these, go right ahead. I blew out my driver last week so i decided to try to open them up. VERY EASY, just get a sharp blade, and wedge open the casing where the crack is near the cable from there you just wedge all the way upwards and it will just pop open.  It is very intuitive and easy enough to seem like monoprice designed them to be easily recablable, they probably didn't but it is just that easy. Solder the new cable(or connector) on and the case pretty much snaps back together, im not sure how strong the snap is but glue should help if it doesn't stay snapped. While you are in there you might want to experiment with the small bass port on the back of the driver, it is covered by a little cloth type thing, just take it off and you might get more bass out of them, or not. Couldn't hurt. You will see it when you open the earphone.  Sorry i don't have pics, threw my broken 8320 away already.

Feb 5, 2012 at 2:01 PM Post #1,392 of 4,317

Quote:
Hey glad they fit well for you. They are kinda big so you can see how guys with smallish ears can have some issues. It all depends on the user. Good fit= good sound. Bad fit=bad sound. Glad you like them.I bet many a guys thought I was crazy when I mentioned these have about 90% of the sound of the EX600. But it is true and this is coming from someone that owns both.. Considering these things cost less than the tax payed for a EX600 it is quite astonishing. You enjoy one of the top hidden gems of the iem world.

Yes this is why I was surprised, having seem images of the fit I expected to have troubles but I'm obviously blessed with the correct shaped/big ears!

Quote:
For anyone interested in recabling these, go right ahead. I blew out my driver last week so i decided to try to open them up. VERY EASY, just get a sharp blade, and wedge open the casing where the crack is near the cable from there you just wedge all the way upwards and it will just pop open.  It is very intuitive and easy enough to seem like monoprice designed them to be easily recablable, they probably didn't but it is just that easy. Solder the new cable(or connector) on and the case pretty much snaps back together, im not sure how strong the snap is but glue should help if it doesn't stay snapped. While you are in there you might want to experiment with the small bass port on the back of the driver, it is covered by a little cloth type thing, just take it off and you might get more bass out of them, or not. Couldn't hurt. You will see it when you open the earphone.  Sorry i don't have pics, threw my broken 8320 away already.

I may have a go at playing about with them when they have settled in.  Bass ports are precise calculation, well at least they are in speaker design.  Making it larger or removing any obstruction allows the driver to move more and resluts in more bass but trade that for loss of speed and punch.  Still worth a tinker though, IMO these are plenty quick enough.

Feb 7, 2012 at 10:55 PM Post #1,394 of 4,317
Got mine today.  Plugged the right in...  I was amazed.  How can these cost so little and sound this good?  Even PreBurn-in.

First thing I did was to remove the stock ear tips and replace them with extras I had from my JVC HA-FX35-B "Marshmallows".
They fit PERFECT and feel amazing.

Here you can see them with the replacement tips:

Feb 8, 2012 at 2:23 AM Post #1,395 of 4,317
My neighbour is tired of his se215's, he's looking for something a bit more fun and engaging. This thread caught my attention/ made me laugh so I ordered myself a pair.

I will proceed to giving them to him and see how he likes them; without mentioning the price.

How would you guys price these if they were a bigger brand?

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back