The Mod Collective: Bring all your full sized headphone mods here.
Oct 9, 2019 at 6:00 PM Post #391 of 521
One other headphone cup design to consider is the JVC DX1000.

I really wanted to have these cups for my dt48 transplant. I love the tube and cup design!

Seems like it could work for modding quite well with some creativity if you want something special or custom made.

1630570.jpg
hp-dx1000-1.gif

they look so sweeet, just look how easy tht looks with the gif

Oct 12, 2019 at 7:37 AM Post #392 of 521
Hi all. I thought i would put my ha rx700 on with 3.5mm sockets fitted.
First i had to remove the original cable and get rid of the cable grip then the socket dropped straight in. Then i just drilled out the other cup
20191011_103617.jpg

I also put some felt in the cup's
20191011_103649.jpg
20191011_104145.jpg

The mod has really improved the mid's and given them more focus all round.
I also did the socket mod on my ah rx900
20191011_092257.jpg
20191011_092450.jpg
20191011_101112.jpg
20191011_102011.jpg

They turned out really well.

Oct 12, 2019 at 8:26 AM Post #393 of 521
Most people don’t realize that all these years, companies could have been giving us removable cables. There’s plenty of room in most headphones, that fixed cables weren’t necessary. Whether the reason for fixed cables was planned obsolescence, or just to save $0.75 per pair is unknown to me.

Oct 22, 2019 at 3:51 PM Post #394 of 521
Some additional finishes
Hybrid headband of Fischer Audio FA-002 and Beyerdynamic headband
Beyerdynamic headband pad
Alpha Pads with holy sheepskin (which angles the drivers slightly maybe 30 degrees),
All from my parts bin from previous mods
I think they look a tad cleaner... 95% to factory finish
Well i'm sure my DT48 wood version 3.0 will be the holy grail, whenever i decide to do that one :D

dt48bubnga0.jpg

dt48bubnga.jpg

dt48bubnga00.jpg

I can play DMX on them now, which to me is a great accomplishment :D
giphy.gif

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2019 at 3:03 AM Post #396 of 521
Some additional finishes
Hybrid headband of Fischer Audio FA-002 and Beyerdynamic headband
Beyerdynamic headband pad
Alpha Pads with holy sheepskin (which angles the drivers slightly maybe 30 degrees),
All from my parts bin from previous mods
I think they look a tad cleaner... 95% to factory finish
Well i'm sure my DT48 wood version 3.0 will be the holy grail, whenever i decide to do that one :D

I can play DMX on them now, which to me is a great accomplishment :D
giphy.gif

Definitely curious how they are going to turn out when you finish them. I’m still working on my DT 480, which can output more sub and mid bass than my Nighthawks when the volume gets turned up but much tighter with greater slam, still not quite where I want it at my preferred listening levels which is on the lower side, it’s enough for all genres but I want a bit more and I’m trying to find that magical balance and to bring out the incredible musicality I’ve heard the headphone achieve with certain mods.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2019 at 8:25 AM Post #397 of 521
Definitely curious how they are going to turn out when you finish them. I’m still working on my DT 480, which can output more sub and mid bass than my Nighthawks when the volume gets turned up but much tighter with greater slam, still not quite where I want it at my preferred listening levels which is on the lower side, it’s enough for all genres but I want a bit more and I’m trying to find that magical balance and to bring out the incredible musicality I’ve heard the headphone achieve with certain mods.

They are completed in a sense.The difference between stock dt48 and these is immense
in that, the voluminous chamber allows for increased soundstage and
the body fattening tones to breathe. breathable baffle allows for the reverb to "color"
the usual sterile dt48 sound .The driver must have a foam ring to channel sound to
ear (I used an on ear pad), and alpha pads are deep enough and angle enough
i do not feel them.

There is a cost, in the sense the blackness is lost as the music is more
filled with a musical fuzziness you find with sextetts for example
The mids are still there, and the extension of the bottom more apparent

I can EQ from 20-80hz now +5 - +10db, and 2-5db+ (80-150hz)

So, after a lot of trial and error with dt48/480 modding, i got the
info i needed and results were as i imagined them to be. Actually,
more than i imagined to some degree

what I would like is more symmetrical setup like Lawton type cups
with bigger chamber, wood baffles with a built in tunnel like the
JVC dx1000 with symmetrical venting.

In conclusion, building a "room" for these dt48 open back
like the dt480 allows them to play more modern music
with the needed low end extension and body for musicality,
without loss of its midrange magic; however at cost of
some resolution and blackness.

YMMV

Dec 19, 2019 at 1:42 PM Post #399 of 521
Can anyone help me mod my SHP9500 to 2.5mm balanced.
Unscrew and Open the plug end.
Separate the wires.
Connect same as this way:
9707197_thumb.jpg

Dec 19, 2019 at 2:22 PM Post #400 of 521
Unscrew and Open the plug end.
Separate the wires.
Connect same as this way:

The stock 3.5mm connection only has 3 wire connection so this method won't make it true balance, and I'll can't to do this because I'm planning to buy the 9038s dac and the maker says that short circuiting by connecting the two (L- and R-) how it is in unbalanced cable will fry the DAC, so I'll have to get balanced connection directly from the drivers.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2019 at 3:11 PM Post #401 of 521
The stock 3.5mm connection only has 3 wire connection so this method won't make it true balance, and I'll can't to do this because I'm planning to buy the 9038s dac and the maker says that short circuiting by connecting the two (L- and R-) how it is in unbalanced cable will fry the DAC, so I'll have to get balanced connection directly from the drivers.
Solution used either to rewire from the cups,
Or just move on to another headphone.

As much as you may be used to that headphone, there are so many others out there, it may not be worth the trouble..

Dec 20, 2019 at 12:56 AM Post #402 of 521
Solution used either to rewire from the cups,
Or just move on to another headphone.

As much as you may be used to that headphone, there are so many others out there, it may not be worth the trouble..

I wish I could I'm so broke, but I'll try then selling these and Q1 Mark II, hope they get sold then will think of getting some other headohone. Anyways thanks rewiring from the cups without any skill of doing it can be problematic.

Dec 24, 2019 at 6:19 PM Post #405 of 521
happy holidays to all!

i am looking for someone to do a detachable cable mod on a closed back 990z or 900z ath.

if i cant find someone to sell and ship me this (im in BC canada), does anyone know about what pads i should use on akg 550 style headphones for max soundstage?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back