The Mod Collective: Bring all your full sized headphone mods here.
Jun 6, 2019 at 6:28 AM Post #361 of 521
Well, that’s the T50rp’s finished, new balanced cable done
42E6653D-1C97-44E9-8C95-5A7094FD8FF0.jpeg
and Q701 headband fitted.
697FA1E2-99F7-4C15-9B7C-595084A379EE.jpeg

Jun 11, 2019 at 2:29 AM Post #362 of 521
So over on the 1More H1707 thread, a fellow member shared a cool 2.5mm-to-MMCX adapter he made:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/1more-h1707-triple-driver-over-ear.849824/page-64#post-14974674

This allows mmcx cables to be used on the 1More H1707 triple driver headphone, instead of the mediocre stock cable:

10296912.jpg

So using his instructions, I made my own 2.5mm-to-MMCX adapter:

Except that I took mine one step further:

Surprisingly, the TRN BT20 drives the H1707 really well! It's a headphone intended for portable devices, so it's easy to drive from low power devices (although to get the most out of the ceramic piezo tweeter, it does definitely benefit from amping).

Anyways, I LOVE the total wireless freedom :)

I also made a new H1707 cable out of a KZ 8-core flat braided SPC upgrade cable:

If you're interested in the other mods I've done to my H1707:

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2019 at 6:37 PM Post #363 of 521
Hi i thought i would show my rock jaw acero.
I had problem's with the plug's on the original cable so i made a cable and bought a pair of 2.5mm plugs that i thought would fit the sockets in the cup's but they were too big so i decided to change the sockets for 3.5mm.
I also rewired them internally with van damme silver plate.

Old sockets
20190810_105058.jpg

New ones with new cable.
20190810_113057.jpg

20190810_114803.jpg

And with them back together with new cable.
20190810_123548.jpg

Now with brainwavz.
20190815_124744.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2019 at 6:51 PM Post #364 of 521
Hi i thought i would show my rock jaw acero.
I had problem's with the plug's on the original cable so i made a cable and bought a pair of 2.5mm plugs that i thought would fit the sockets in the cup's but they were too big so i decided to change the sockets for 3.5mm.
I also rewired them internally with van damme silver plate.

Old sockets

New ones with new cable.

And with them back together with new cable.

Good call with the 3.5mm conversion.

There is not enough size savings in the 2.5mm jack for manufacturers to justify crippling our hands as audiophiles. It only hurts us for cable choices.

Nice job on the mod, sir

Aug 10, 2019 at 8:34 PM Post #367 of 521
Dont all headphones already have their own dedicated threads? Hey! Why dont we combine all the headfi subforums into one all-sizes headphone forum. Gotdam

I don’t see the problem.

This isn’t a thread dedicated to any 1 headphone. It’s a niche thread, reserved for showcasing and discussing mods to any full size headphone.

It would be like a thread dedicated to lens mods to SLR cameras. Any SLR lens is open to the thread - Canon, Nikkor, Sigma, whatever.

Is this particular thread hurting or offending you in any way, or breaking HeadFi ToS?

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2019 at 9:33 PM Post #368 of 521
Dont all headphones already have their own dedicated threads? Hey! Why dont we combine all the headfi subforums into one all-sizes headphone forum. Gotdam
Did someone force you to read this thread? No, because I am betting you didn't bother to READ the first post in which the purpose of this thread is clearly explained.
And to answer your ignorant question, no, not all headphones have their own dedicated thread.
shoo shoo go away little troll, grown folks are talking. :wink:

Aug 10, 2019 at 10:55 PM Post #369 of 521

Well, the T50rp? there are quite a few posts on how to modify those... I dunno, it's not harming anyone to have this thread, right?

Aug 11, 2019 at 12:03 AM Post #370 of 521
I don’t see the problem.

This isn’t a thread dedicated to any 1 headphone. It’s a niche thread, reserved for showcasing and discussing mods to any full size headphone.

It would be like a thread dedicated to lens mods to SLR cameras. Any SLR lens is open to the thread - Canon, Nikkor, Sigma, whatever.

Is this particular thread hurting or offending you in any way, or breaking HeadFi ToS?

Its messy.

Did someone force you to read this thread? No, because I am betting you didn't bother to READ the first post in which the purpose of this thread is clearly explained.
And to answer your ignorant question, no, not all headphones have their own dedicated thread.
shoo shoo go away little troll, grown folks are talking. :wink:

Bring all the mods into one thread and share modding tips. A dedicated thread to the science behind mods wouldve been nice. I think its the title of the thread which reads like: copy/paste all the mods ever here! It also feels like a waste for specific headphone questions since theyd get answered by those with experience with those specific headphones in their already existing dedicated thread. In this thread you can ask for some reasonable modding advice on x headphone, so thats good but generally not as good as in the dedicated x headphone thread. And if you search this thread for tips?, then itll be more laborious because it has ALL THE MODS EVER. And instead if I were to post in say ksc35 thread then everyone subscribed or cruising forum would see thread and likely assist. This is disorganized and redundant.

Well, the T50rp? there are quite a few posts on how to modify those... I dunno, it's not harming anyone to have this thread, right?

Its cool to hangout and ask general mod advice. <— new thread title

Aug 11, 2019 at 1:34 PM Post #372 of 521
Its messy.

Bring all the mods into one thread and share modding tips. A dedicated thread to the science behind mods wouldve been nice. I think its the title of the thread which reads like: copy/paste all the mods ever here! It also feels like a waste for specific headphone questions since theyd get answered by those with experience with those specific headphones in their already existing dedicated thread. In this thread you can ask for some reasonable modding advice on x headphone, so thats good but generally not as good as in the dedicated x headphone thread. And if you search this thread for tips?, then itll be more laborious because it has ALL THE MODS EVER. And instead if I were to post in say ksc35 thread then everyone subscribed or cruising forum would see thread and likely assist. This is disorganized and redundant.

Its cool to hangout and ask general mod advice. <— new thread title
All I hear you saying is you are missing the entire point , which is fine, but ...well, who cares? So you missed the point, why not move on instead of complaining?
The point, although I don't know why I should bother trying, is not all mods are specifically applicable to just one headphone so why not have a clearing house of ALL kinds of headphones, with various mods? Lets say you have Headphone X and there isn't a specific/active thread for that headphone, or nobody has posted the mod you want to try in that thread, you can come here and possibly see a similar mod that someone else did. Additionally, I know of at least a small handful of people that have posted to this thread are subscribed and when a question comes up in the thread one of us usually pops in and answers the question. Again, here you are with Headphone X and you can't find an answer for your specific model in it's very own dedicated thread, so you come here, ask, 'hey has anyone done a cable mod on Headphone X?" maybe nobody ever has, or the post where someone did write it up is buried in some long forgotten thread. The people that frequent this thread chime in and either answer the question or direct you to that long lost post with the mods you want.
As far as it being too messy? Have you tried finding a specific Grado mod? There are many, many posts about how to do certain mods on a Grado, they have multiple very active threads dedicated to them....but try to find the post where it describes the easiest way to liberate the drivers...go ahead, I'll check back in tomorrow, you should have found it by then.
You MIGHT be able to find good information on how to mod your headphones in the various model specific threads, but I guarantee you will find something useful in this one.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2019 at 11:25 AM Post #373 of 521
Aug 20, 2019 at 12:30 PM Post #374 of 521
A simple mod that allows the use of normal headphone aux cables (and even balanced) with the KEF M500:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/kef-m500-m200-impressions-thread.675160/page-90#post-15134401

The headphone socket on the M500 is a really long, goofy 2.5mm right angle setup, that’s set into the headphone super deep.

So basically the stock cable is proprietary, and once it goes bad you’re screwed. What’s the point of having a removable cable, if you are stuck between a rock and a hard place when that cable goes bad?

Add to that the fact that the stock noodle cables are junk in general, and this is an incredibly useful mod for any KEF M500 owner.

Aug 21, 2019 at 5:14 PM Post #375 of 521
That is some crazy talk. This thread definitely has inspired some wild experimentation. It's not so much that one should copy any of them per se, but they can motivate one to tinker with parts instead of the same ole same ole and have a 1 of 1.
Speaking of which, i was thinking off adding a closedback like a ws1100 and then read the comment, and remembered that crazy modding is essential.
dt48.png

This was a really dumb one I did with open back dt-48 25 ohm drivers in a 770 shell. I learned a lot from this.... and well a revision 2 might soon be here....
i used the funds for some "parts" and should they arrive (because the postal service can make mistakes) ... the revision will be even more radical!
I don't want to get too excited, but let's just say i havn't posted much in the last 6 months, but this revision deserves some ..... wood. :ksc75smile:

giphy.gif

keep moddin you crazy modders.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back