The Mod Collective: Bring all your full sized headphone mods here.
Mar 28, 2020 at 8:32 AM Post #421 of 521
I sanded the finish off the grills, painted the outer ring black to get rid of that stupid white hummingbird logo

Looks way better that way!

Question: Does that mesh go all the way under the circular/moon piece? Or is the mesh cut out underneath the circular piece?

In other words, if the circular/moon piece was removed, would there be perfect mesh underneath? Or would there be a big hole there with no mesh?

I ask because (assuming the mesh is a continuous oval piece) it would be easy to buzz off that extra piece and you’d never be able to tell it was there.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2020 at 1:06 PM Post #422 of 521
Looks way better that way!

Question: Does that mesh go all the way under the circular/moon piece? Or is the mesh cut out underneath the circular piece?

In other words, if the circular/moon piece was removed, would there be perfect mesh underneath? Or would there be a big hole there with no mesh?

I ask because (assuming the mesh is a continuous oval piece) it would be easy to buzz off that extra piece and you’d never be able to tell it was there.
I considered that. It's doable, but more hassle than I want to put into it at the moment. (I may be getting laid off soon and find myself with more free time to put into it, so we'll see.)
To answer your question, the mesh is full sized, the part that goes under the circular piece is indented, so it might look kind of goofy....but an oval sized piece of mesh could be easily installed, I've done that before when I converted headphones to open.

Mar 31, 2020 at 6:14 PM Post #423 of 521
The Monoprice version is $28 right now, so I ordered a set to compare stock to modified. I'm really interested to see how they are with the Monoprice velour pads on them, as well. I had a set of M565 that I modded and the pads I liked the best on them happened to be the velours. I really liked the way those pads felt. I don't know how long it will be until I get them, usually I get monoprice stuff pretty fast because one of their distribution centers is about a 4 hour drive from me, but their website said to expect a 5-7 day delay.

Apr 7, 2020 at 8:34 PM Post #424 of 521
Here is a mod I did to the front of my M1060.

I will be doing this too with the M1060c.

Basically I got around to treating the front of the driver and just treated the front of the driver with some 3m dampening sheets. Damn. This is a fantastic and easy mod. The sound is soo much clearer. I knew the resolution would increase but the SOUNDSTAGE!! Its sooo much BIGGER. Like the speaker itself is disappearing. The theory is that the front and back of the driver are metal and function as the magnets. So if the metal vibrates or rings the driver moves and messes up the resolution. This mod minimizes the vibration so the driver moves less and that cleans up the sound. The bass resolution is better and it seems more extended too.

The 3m sheets are basically a constrained layer dampening sheet and they are metal with a blue coating. So they are magnetic which helps keep them in place along with the adhesive.

They are hard to cut with scissors but you could get by. I use a cutter that works on kevlar string

I Also used the 3m sheets are super thin and shouldnt affect the airflow. You could try something else I suppose since people didn't see to care about the airflow with the fazors and fuzzors.

Protip: The sheets as mentioned are slightly magnetic so do be careful not to let them fall in the gaps or use anykind of metal too to flatten the strips.

Get them here

https://www.musicdirect.com/vibrati...tives-3m-damping-sheet-ea?variant=AAAPANEL2x6

So glad I did this finally and man why did i wait so long. This is fantastic and super easy.66518c33-b0d1-4052-ab74-b7b46a58ec69.jpeg

Apr 8, 2020 at 7:02 PM Post #426 of 521
What are these pads?
They are generic pads from Aliexpress. I think they were less than $15 but the quality is pretty close to the the level of Brainwavz HM5 hybrid pads...the foam isn't as dense, and the sides are fenestrated so the overall sound is a little bit more open and airy than the HM5 pads.

May 5, 2020 at 3:49 AM Post #427 of 521
Using a DT770/880/990 headband cushion, I was able to make my Denon D5000 look as good as new.

The hold headband was tattered and falling to pieces, so I cut away all the fake leather bits and old padding, bought one of these headband cushion/wraps brand new, and job done.

Turned out pretty well I think - I'm wrapped with it. Pun intended

DSC03945.jpgsmaller.jpg

May 5, 2020 at 4:33 AM Post #428 of 521
It's an older mod of mine from last year, but I havn't posted it here yet.
It's less of a mod, and more of a project and a culmination of 3 years of trial/error/modding.
I consider it a poor-mans LCD-2.

- Old version DT770 headband + new DT770 headband forks - they are longer than the old version
- DIY headband cover
- woven stainless steel mesh grills (spray painted black)
- aftermarket Ori pads
- Furutech FHD-35 cable
- Neutrik plug
- comically over-sized rubber cable strain relief/grommets
- NAD RP18 mylar drivers
- ... some choice damping materials inside the cups

1588666325672.png

- measured with miniDSP EARS.
- dip at 4khz is a consistent artefact in almost all EARS measurements and can be somewhat disregarded

1588666550858.png

May 15, 2020 at 4:30 PM Post #429 of 521
It's an older mod of mine from last year, but I havn't posted it here yet.
It's less of a mod, and more of a project and a culmination of 3 years of trial/error/modding.
I consider it a poor-mans LCD-2.

- Old version DT770 headband + new DT770 headband forks - they are longer than the old version
- DIY headband cover
- woven stainless steel mesh grills (spray painted black)
- aftermarket Ori pads
- Furutech FHD-35 cable
- Neutrik plug
- comically over-sized rubber cable strain relief/grommets
- NAD RP18 mylar drivers
- ... some choice damping materials inside the cups

1588666325672.png

- measured with miniDSP EARS.
- dip at 4khz is a consistent artefact in almost all EARS measurements and can be somewhat disregarded

1588666550858.png
Funny how you managed to avoid the upper mid/low treble dip on a planar. Normally it's a feature manufacturers use only on their models that cost $3000 or more. :D

May 15, 2020 at 6:30 PM Post #430 of 521
Funny how you managed to avoid the upper mid/low treble dip on a planar. Normally it's a feature manufacturers use only on their models that cost $3000 or more. :D
It's easy to miss, especially since there's not much going on up there usually, but the treble doesn't do a cliff-dive after 10kHz.
Gotta keep that 'air'.... still not as much 'air' as my modified HE-500 though, which I guess isn't saying much since very few headphones have that quality anyway.

May 23, 2020 at 1:50 AM Post #431 of 521
Spadger cd990. The open back version of the Yoga 990 (AKA Brainwaivz, Fisher, Monoprice HR5)
(I hate the name and the logo...it's meaningless and mars the look of the headphone.
This is mostly stock...I forgot to take a picture before I removed the cloth inside the cup. It didn't do anything acoustically, it just made the cups look closed.
Hey man, how is the sound quality of the Spadger? Is there a thread in Head Fi that discusses them?
Thank you.

Edit: I've learned that there is plenty of info on Fischer FA-002. Thanks again. Sorry for the slight derail LOL.

Last edited:
May 26, 2020 at 2:29 AM Post #432 of 521
Hey man, how is the sound quality of the Spadger? Is there a thread in Head Fi that discusses them?
Thank you.

Edit: I've learned that there is plenty of info on Fischer FA-002. Thanks again. Sorry for the slight derail LOL.
I really like the way they sound after some simple mods. They needed some internal damping to really make them sound their best.

Aug 20, 2020 at 1:22 AM Post #433 of 521
Just out of curiosity, has anyone tried out the material called Hygrolon for headphone mod? Seems quite a few manufacturers have used it (or something similar) to tame the high treble - eg. Beyerdynamic Tygr 300 R (Which has more tamed treble then the DT880 Pro from which it is based). I see Austrian Audio Hi-X55 also has similar material. I'll probably try this in the future on the Takstar Pro 82 but I have no way to measure it's effects.

Aug 20, 2020 at 12:20 PM Post #434 of 521
Just out of curiosity, has anyone tried out the material called Hygrolon for headphone mod? Seems quite a few manufacturers have used it (or something similar) to tame the high treble - eg. Beyerdynamic Tygr 300 R (Which has more tamed treble then the DT880 Pro from which it is based). I see Austrian Audio Hi-X55 also has similar material. I'll probably try this in the future on the Takstar Pro 82 but I have no way to measure it's effects.

Do you know what thickness? Hygrolon is available in different thicknesses - 2mm, 3mm, etc.

I imagine it would be very important to get the right one, because I know with other dampening materials I’ve used (like foam, kitchen drawer liner, felt, batting, etc) the thickness can make the difference between it sounding awesome and like a muffled mess.

Aug 20, 2020 at 12:24 PM Post #435 of 521
Do you know what thickness? Hygrolon is available in different thicknesses - 2mm, 3mm, etc.

I imagine it would be very important to get the right one, because I know with other dampening materials I’ve used (like foam, kitchen drawer liner, felt, batting, etc) the thickness can make the difference between it sounding awesome and like a muffled mess.

I don’t know but I know can have various thickness. I’m also not sure if the material will fall apart into different layers when cut or how to seal the cut edge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back