The Mad Dog Appreciation Thread
Feb 23, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #46 of 89
Quote:

Well, I took the plunge, and you are correct in every way. These are a significant move from the ATH-M50, and I am very pleased with them. The signature and SQ are on par with my HD-650's, and I do not feel like I am giving anything up when I want to be isolated from external "noise".

I heard the 650's again last weekend at the SF Bay area meet - I agree.  If you like one or the other's signature and SQ, then they are a very complimentary open/closed pair.  I'll eventually add the 650's.  I love them every time I hear them.

Mar 4, 2013 at 3:24 AM Post #48 of 89
I just found this review from CNET's Steve Guttenberg - very nice, and very accurate IMHO:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-57570720-47/a-new-high-in-$300-audiophile-headphones/

This is the review that brought my attention to these headphones. Ordered soon after and now I'm a proud owner of the Mad Dogs with Alpha Pads and couldn't be happier. Like 'em more than my last two purchases, the Philips Fidelio L1 and Sennheiser Amperior. Best closed-back headphone I've had the pleasure of hearing.

Mar 24, 2013 at 2:19 PM Post #49 of 89
Ugh a few weeks after I purchased the Mad Dog w/ dog pads the alpha pads come out :frowning2: But whatever. I'm still quite excited about this.

The Mad Dogs do need a slight raise in (some) parts of the midrange area so the alpha pads would make a good upgrade. But $60... 

Mar 24, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #50 of 89
Quote:
Ugh a few weeks after I purchased the Mad Dog w/ dog pads the alpha pads come out :frowning2: But whatever. I'm still quite excited about this.

The Mad Dogs do need a slight raise in (some) parts of the midrange area so the alpha pads would make a good upgrade. But $60... 

If you are USA it was $45 upgrade upon release, I think.  Worth it at $60 as far as my ears are concerned.  Better sound and comfort to my ears and head.

Mar 26, 2013 at 12:35 AM Post #52 of 89
Get a decent amp to get the best out of them.

I run them off an O2 (not exactly portable) and they sound great.

Even better out of a discrete vintage 70,s amp I picked up for $38!!

Mar 26, 2013 at 2:35 AM Post #53 of 89
Quote:
mad dogs without amp... worth it or not??

I am running them with the E17 currently. Subtle difference whether you amp it or not (but I feel the same way with practically all headphones below 300 ohms). That said, yes they are great even without an amp. Some argue that an amp with more current input would make a difference but again, I've tried such amps on various headphones and heard no difference. Important to mention that this was all observations under a blind test, where someone helped me out. 

For their comfort and noise-isolation alone, the  Mad Dogs are well worth the money. 

Mar 26, 2013 at 2:56 AM Post #54 of 89
This is the review that brought my attention to these headphones. Ordered soon after and now I'm a proud owner of the Mad Dogs with Alpha Pads and couldn't be happier. Like 'em more than my last two purchases, the Philips Fidelio L1 and Sennheiser Amperior. Best closed-back headphone I've had the pleasure of hearing.

In what ways are Mad Dogs better Amperior?
Does it have the kind of thumping bass which Amperior has?

Apr 15, 2013 at 2:48 PM Post #56 of 89
Just saw this thread.  Thought I'd x-post my statement of 'appreciation' I posted in the review thread here too...

I figured out why everyone loves their new Mad Dogs so much .. and it's not the sound ... they have a NEW CAR SMELL!  And who doesn't love a new car?!  We're trained over decades to love it after all . ;^D

Have you ever smelled a headphone?  No... certainly, No ... I haven't either.  But I picked a set up yesterday @ the NYC Audio Show and more than a few times, on the bus ride home & at home with them I thought I smelled "new car".  Of course it's the leather pads, and I put it to my nose just to get a good whiff.  But it's not only a 'leather' I got, I smelled "new car" signature in there.  :wink:  Too bad the smell is subsiding.  I bought a new car in 1999 and then just in 2008, so I'm not due for another new car for a 1/2 decade.  -haha

Aside from the sound that endless others have written about much better than I can, another thing I appreciate about them is the dampening.  I'd been buying closed headphone after closed headphone lately trying to find something that I could crank in close proximity to my wife, and her not hear it.  But it's become a joke here that every one I get seems louder to anyone around me than the next.  But w/these MadDogs there's finally hardly any sound bleeding out of them to the environment around me (unless I "go to 11").  Hurray.  Putting your finger on the housing explains why quickly.  With all the dampening added by Sir Speaker, there's hardly any vibration making it to and thru the housing. 

Thank You Mr.Speakers!  It was a pleasure to meet you @ the show and I look forward to speaking more @ the NYC meet if there aren't too many vying for your attention ... and if you're still healthy and up for another long trip. 

Jun 3, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #58 of 89
Well guys, since it seems the "main" Mad Dogs thread has been closed, I guess you could use this one in the meantime?!? :wink:

Check.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back