The "Lovely Cube" Headphone Amp (Lehmann Black Cube Linear Clone)
Apr 27, 2011 at 3:08 PM Post #737 of 1,624
Totally. Heat sink?  I doubt it.

Apr 27, 2011 at 3:23 PM Post #739 of 1,624

If only plastic was a good conductor of heat :wink:, than again if I recall aluminum is cheaper...  Those are socket adapters not heat sinks.  The standard LME49720-HE has a TO99 pin arrangement, where the standard for most op-amps used in audio are Dip8 or SOIP.  What you see there is a TO99 seated in a Dip8 adapter.

Best results would be to create your own circuit board so you could natively solder it directly onto the board but that is not a weekend project.
Quote:
If you go to this link and scroll down just a tiny bit, you'll see the heat sink.  Maybe it's for something different...Dunno.

http://www.alicemagicbox.com/lasercollection/lovelycube.html

BTW, too bad the OPA-Earth doesn't easily fit in the LC.  A lot of people in the M-Stage thread are raving about it.

Apr 27, 2011 at 3:49 PM Post #740 of 1,624

Quote:
http://cgi.ebay.com/LME49720HA-LME49720-TO99-DIP8-/190523359451?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c5c13c0db#ht_792wt_1144

Can anyone tell me if this LME49720 works with the LC?   If so, do I need one of those little heat sinks for it?

LME49720HA is excellent choice.It is very fast (I mean VERY FAST) and wide band opamp, and more prone to oscillations. It needs good coupling capacitors and demands good source (DAC) - without crap in signal.  If you want to compare to OPA2107 or OPA627 - don't. It does not forgive...  It demands the best signal on input or it will show you every crap in your recordings.

It goes hot (metal version) so TO-5 heat sinks are recommended.

Do not worry. It will sit in your DIP8 socket. I have LME49720 HA and there is no problem. You should use good socket (Nextron or similar stuff - not some "gold plate" fancy stuff).

Apr 27, 2011 at 5:33 PM Post #742 of 1,624
Regarding the 'heat sink'..Ok my bad.  HAHA.

As for the wire, that's what I was thinking.  I'll still have to get someone to do this.  Everything has to come out to do it and my soldering skills aren't perfect.

Quote:
LME49720HA is excellent choice.It is very fast (I mean VERY FAST) and wide band opamp, and more prone to oscillations. It needs good coupling capacitors and demands good source (DAC) - without crap in signal.  If you want to compare to OPA2107 or OPA627 - don't. It does not forgive...  It demands the best signal on input or it will show you every crap in your recordings.

It goes hot (metal version) so TO-5 heat sinks are recommended.

Do not worry. It will sit in your DIP8 socket. I have LME49720 HA and there is no problem. You should use good socket (Nextron or similar stuff - not some "gold plate" fancy stuff).

Since I'm at novice at this stuff, I'm not following this 100%...So can I use the LME49720 without doing any other modes to the LC Premium?  In other words, can I just drop it in the socket?  Thanks!

Apr 28, 2011 at 4:29 AM Post #743 of 1,624
Of course! :)

Quote:
Regarding the 'heat sink'..Ok my bad.  HAHA.

As for the wire, that's what I was thinking.  I'll still have to get someone to do this.  Everything has to come out to do it and my soldering skills aren't perfect.

Since I'm at novice at this stuff, I'm not following this 100%...So can I use the LME49720 without doing any other modes to the LC Premium?  In other words, can I just drop it in the socket?  Thanks!

May 5, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #746 of 1,624

Quote:
I'm appreciated :) I even made single ended pure class A amp for using LC as a preamp.
But I don't very much like OPA627 with LC. I think 2134 and 2111 are better.

Tried OPA2111 (bought in USA). Maybe slightly too dark and thin.  But man, vocals are stunning!
L3000.gif

May 9, 2011 at 5:38 AM Post #748 of 1,624
I want to buy one of these Lovely Cubes so I can compare it with my BCL. I'm not a DIYer, but I understand I can buy it assembled. Does the guy who sells this offer different opamps or will I have to do it myself?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back