The "Lovely Cube" Headphone Amp (Lehmann Black Cube Linear Clone)
Feb 27, 2011 at 9:09 AM Post #571 of 1,624

Quote:
How does this compare with the M-Stage Matrix? I haven't been able to find any in-depth comparison between the two.

I was leaning toward the Matrix as I was looking for a more warm/bass-friendly amp, giving full body/volume bass presence, and unsure if the Lovely cube provides similar traits.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/501046/first-impressions-lovely-cube-semi-diy-amp-lehmann-black-cube-linear-clone/105#post_6964362
^That review didn't really explain too well..

They're both based off the BCL, so they can't be that different from one another?

They are different because of internal parts. If you change capacitors and resistors it will sound different. If you change opamp it will sound different. If you use different soldering iron it will sound different. If you use different cable it will sound different.

Feb 27, 2011 at 9:15 AM Post #572 of 1,624

Quote:

The initial product that seems to have been reversed.
Recent finished product there is no problem. (confirmed with my friend to buy)

I just use it without processing.
If I knew then that the opposite problem. :p

I have had the same problem. But when I changed digital source from Audiotrak Prodigy to M-Audio Revolution, that problem is gone.
Because M-Audio twists left and right channel. :)

Feb 27, 2011 at 3:14 PM Post #575 of 1,624

They are different because of internal parts. If you change capacitors and resistors it will sound different. If you change opamp it will sound different. If you use different soldering iron it will sound different. If you use different cable it will sound different.

Oh I see,

These DIY's are awesome, feel more personalized. Is it possible to modify it to add more low end to the amp, without sacrificing soundstage? And if so how would you do it, replace the opamp?

Feb 27, 2011 at 6:09 PM Post #576 of 1,624

Quote:
Quote:

Oh I see,

These DIY's are awesome, feel more personalized. Is it possible to modify it to add more low end to the amp, without sacrificing soundstage? And if so how would you do it, replace the opamp?

That is just what I wanted to say.

OPAMP is probably the best solution. But you have to find right OPAMP that will give you exactly what you want. Try to search over internet. Some people say that OPA2111 is good choice. As it depends on rest of setup, in every setup "the best choice" will be different. I mean, something what suits good to me, does not necessary mean that it will be good for you.

The final result mostly depends on your headphones.

What headphones do you have?

Feb 27, 2011 at 8:32 PM Post #578 of 1,624

Quote:
That is just what I wanted to say.

OPAMP is probably the best solution. But you have to find right OPAMP that will give you exactly what you want. Try to search over internet. Some people say that OPA2111 is good choice. As it depends on rest of setup, in every setup "the best choice" will be different. I mean, something what suits good to me, does not necessary mean that it will be good for you.

The final result mostly depends on your headphones.

What headphones do you have?

Still deciding on that as well, was leaning toward the Pro900s?

Feb 28, 2011 at 7:58 AM Post #579 of 1,624
Hey guys,

Please let me know if anyone needs any PCBs as I plan to order them this week. I can also order parts for the LC if you need them.

How much is a board?

Feb 28, 2011 at 10:59 AM Post #581 of 1,624

Quote:
Sorry for interupting, but is Lovely Cube worth the $250 or would money be better spent on Meier Concerto? How does LC compare to others?

Are you trying to compare amplifier that costs 800 USD (Meyer Corda) with amplifier that costs 250 USD (Lovely Cube)?

Lovely Cube is not worth the 250 USD, in the same way as the Meyer Corda is not worth 800 USD.

Feb 28, 2011 at 11:28 AM Post #582 of 1,624

Quote:
Still deciding on that as well, was leaning toward the Pro900s?

Ultrasone Pro 900? I think you should have enough bass...

=933&graphID[]=2661&graphID[]=373]http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=933&graphID[]=2661&graphID[]=373

My brother has AD700 and there is enough bass. But sometimes I feel that highs are not good enough. On AD900, highs and lows are even better than on AD700. But still I have to level up 4kHz - 10kHz range. My opinion is that, the best amplifier is the one on which you do not have to mess with your equalizer (leave flat characteristic). Every other amplifier that needs help from equalizer is "not good enough". And can be better.

Grado SR225 has something. Entire range is excellent. I do not need to use equalizer. Everething is like it should be. Only drawback is that sound stage is smaller compared to ATH...But I have not known what is the real meaning of a term "listening to music" until I bought Grado. My wish is to have Grado RS2i.
smily_headphones1.gif

On Sennheiser HD415 there is too much bass. On Sennheiser HD485 there is enough bass for entire neighborhood. There is no reason to use equalizer, because sound that comes from bad headphones, can not be improved.

Feb 28, 2011 at 11:35 AM Post #584 of 1,624
It IS a DIY amp, I expect on par with $500 amps or greater, I know Corda will sound better, for sure. Is it worth the feeling of "upgraditus" or buy Meier's and be done with it? What can LC be evenly compared to?

Mar 2, 2011 at 1:07 PM Post #585 of 1,624
Why don't you just read some reviews of the M-stage ? LC and M-Stage should be comparable even though the LC should be slightly better.
All that I can say so far that the amp sound quality is good and improved within the burn-in time. But I don't want to say too much for now since I've listened to it for 50 hours now. The break in is done within 100 hours. (according to Stephen) I'm really curious about if there will be a further improvement.
Don't bother, your money will be well spend^^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back