The "Lovely Cube" Headphone Amp (Lehmann Black Cube Linear Clone)
Feb 24, 2011 at 4:28 PM Post #541 of 1,624
I use what I allready have. The smd based solutions came later. I may well buy dexa`s as well later on, but they cost more than double that of the audio-gd`s.

What is the internal height of the standard chassis?

Feb 24, 2011 at 4:30 PM Post #542 of 1,624

Quote:
I plan to use audio gd opa sun v2 in mine. I have used some regulators from NewclassD (Dexa) with good results so I would think they are good.
From what I can see on the pictures it may fit into the slot between the caps since it is narrower than the sun V2. You will have to make a hole in the cover for it though. Otherwise you could use an extention cord as with the sun V2.

How well it will work in the amp is another matter though. Since the amp runs so hot I have my doubts. My chassis will be different as well as the placement of the TO220`s

edit: as I suspected. the dexa opa fits in between the caps. The height is lower, the width is 15mm vs 24mm and power consumption is also only 1/5th of the audio gd unit.

Gwiske,

What kind of setup are you going for (resistors, caps, volume pot., transistors, etc)?

Feb 24, 2011 at 5:35 PM Post #543 of 1,624
I will have to see what I get in the kit when it arrives but I allready have some changes in mind.

C305 - Vishay BC 2200uF 63V x 3 custom mounting
C306 - Vishay BC 2200uF 63V x 3 custom mounting
Wima MKS02 bypass caps all around (I have a lot of them).
Rectifier diodes will be BYV27-150 (I have a lot of them).
I have a few LT317AT and LT337AT for this project as well.
The project is wip so any suggestions will be appreciated.
At this moment though I have just bought the kits (not yet recieved them).

"iPimped" is my starting point.

Quote:
Bypass Input caps (C101, 102, 201, 202) with solid wire.
Replace four PSU electrolytics with Panasonic FM (470uf/35v).
Replace two electrolytics coupling the opamp with Elna Silmic II (470uf/25v - mounted horizontally).
Replace two bypass caps for the above with K40Y Russian PIO (0.033uF/200V).
Replace two 100pf caps by the opamp with polystyrene (same value).
Replace four transistors in the buffer (BC550 & BC560) with Fairchild BC550C & BC560C (hfe >500).
Replace four transistors in the buffer (BD139 & BD140) with Fairchild BD14016 & BD14016.
Replace LM317 & LM337 with Fairchild LM317T &  LM337T.
Replace ADJ caps with tantalum caps (10uf/25v)
blablabla trimpot mod.

I had hoped I could use my DACT CT2-4-10K to replace the alps 50K pots but not sure if this is possible. Again the DACT is already in my system, but is currently passive together with a DACT CT3-5-4 input selector wich will also be used.
Two Audio GD OPA Sun V2 will proborably be used, but opa rolling with a lot of contenders will happen at some point.

Chassis will be custom made with the main difference from the norm will be that the orientation of the boards will be vertical so that they will not block natural airflow.

WIP

The uploaded sketchup model is updated as I go

Feb 25, 2011 at 2:02 AM Post #545 of 1,624
gwike said:
 Replace two electrolytics coupling the opamp with Elna Silmic II (470uf/25v - mounted horizontally).

I wouldn't bother with Silmica especially with the II, the 'first' one is quite nice and what you want to put is quite flashy ( low and high tones are dominant). Stick with something secure like BG STD, you can also try Panasonic Pureism.

Guys, where can I get the BD139 made by Philips ?
Didn't have any problems in obtaining BD137/138/140 and the BC's from this manufacturer.

Feb 25, 2011 at 2:46 AM Post #546 of 1,624
I saw a few posts early in this thread about driving Head-Direct orthos (HE-5 to be specific) with a Lovely/Black Cube. Any thoughts on this subject? Does this little design really have enough juice to do the HE-5 or HE-4 justice?

Feb 25, 2011 at 9:41 AM Post #547 of 1,624
Has anyone tested without the rectifier smoothing caps and resistors?
My experience with the byv27-150 is that it is better without caps at least as this does not bring AC past the diode. I think I`ll rather use the mounting holes for more byv27`s

Quote:
Awesome!

Where did you big the kit? Is it assembled?

Also, mind sharing that custom mounting for the big two caps? :)

As for the pot, what do you think about this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/TKD-50K-2CP-601-Riken-Elma-Noble-2A3-Tango-300B-EL84-AB-/220742911787?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33654d872b#ht_3812wt_1143

Thanks still working on it.

The cap mounting will be uploaded when I have gotten a little further along in the model.

I have not tested that pot, but Audio Note usually know what they are doing...

Quote:
CrucifixationOfFaith said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:
gwike said:

I wouldn't bother with Silmica especially with the II, the 'first' one is quite nice and what you want to put is quite flashy ( low and high tones are dominant). Stick with something secure like BG STD, you can also try Panasonic Pureism.

Guys, where can I get the BD139 made by Philips ?
Didn't have any problems in obtaining BD137/138/140 and the BC's from this manufacturer.

Thanks for the input. I`ll see if I can find some of your suggestions.

Feb 25, 2011 at 11:30 AM Post #548 of 1,624
I saw a few posts early in this thread about driving Head-Direct orthos (HE-5 to be specific) with a Lovely/Black Cube. Any thoughts on this subject? Does this little design really have enough juice to do the HE-5 or HE-4 justice?

headfonia.com reviewed the HE-6 on the Matrix M-Stage and it powered them with no problem, so the Lovely Cube should also no issues powering the Head Direct orthos either.

http://www.headfonia.com/hifiman-he-6-first-impression/2/

Feb 25, 2011 at 11:56 AM Post #549 of 1,624
That's pretty cool. Good to know there's a cheap backup plan if my Peachtree doesn't have the guts for it.

EDIT: Has anyone asked lasercollection about the case and transformer he offers with the completed kit? What price might I be looking at?

Feb 25, 2011 at 12:14 PM Post #550 of 1,624
The kit was bought from lasercollection`s site. It has case, transformers, op-amps and completed amps.

Edit: forgot the link... http://www.alicemagicbox.com/lasercollection/lovelycube.html#02

Quote:
Awesome!

Where did you big the kit? Is it assembled?

Also, mind sharing that custom mounting for the big two caps? :)

As for the pot, what do you think about this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/TKD-50K-2CP-601-Riken-Elma-Noble-2A3-Tango-300B-EL84-AB-/220742911787?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33654d872b#ht_3812wt_1

Quote:
LingLing1337 said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

That's pretty cool. Good to know there's a cheap backup plan if my Peachtree doesn't have the guts for it.

EDIT: Has anyone asked lasercollection about the case and transformer he offers with the completed kit? What price might I be looking at?

Feb 25, 2011 at 3:56 PM Post #554 of 1,624
I tried DALE carbon resistors on output. And Allen Bradley... Allen Bradley really kicks ass! They give interesting sound. More laid back. On good recorded songs they are able to give warmth and mellow sound. So relaxing, so sweet... I could listen to music all day... :))) I think in a signal path good metal film is a must, but in power path (output - 10R) carbon resistors have "something". At least on ATH AD900... :) I think, I am going to buy tube amplifier...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back