The Little Dot Mk IV / SE Impressions Thread
Oct 9, 2016 at 12:45 AM Post #541 of 584
Hello all. First post on these awesome forums and just thought i'd through my 2 cents in. I started out with a Little Dot 2++ to run my Senn555 and Grado 80's and thanks to a tax refund a couple years back I sprang for the MKIVSE looking to upgrade to for my needs the best. Well of course once I got the SE I started getting upgrade fever and after much research got the Beyerdynamic  T90 .I modded the cushions  and was more than happy with them until I started looking at Grado again .Thanks to lots of devils cut and paypal pay later I got a pair of Grado SR325E's .
After a lot of searching I was wondering if I made a mistake getting low impedance cans with the MK4SE. There are a  ton of posts about how the Grado's etc and Little Dot don't pair well and after my first listen I concur. Bass was a muddle and highs were painful. I noticed one power tube was dimmer than the other so I replaced them with a Pair of electro-harmonix 6h30pi and while I was at it replaced the drivers with a pair of mullard5654's .MY system still sounded like crap until I realized I had the whole gain thing backwards. Setting the gain to +5 was pure audio karma . With the new tubes and gain settings the first thing I listen to was  Pet Sounds and holly cow. 
My Grado's sound like what I thought the T-90's would. I am writing this while listening to the Cranberries and am in total bliss. Not to put anyone down but have those saying Grado and LD4se don't pair actually heard the combo.
Total bliss for me. 

Nov 2, 2016 at 4:02 AM Post #543 of 584

kingaljrI think if you go back to the beginning of this thread, people were saying that grados theoretically shouldn't pair well (low impedance cans with high impedance OTL), but listeners were happy with the mk iii/iv with their cans. so make of that what you will i suppose.

Nov 12, 2016 at 3:10 AM Post #544 of 584
Not sure if anyone has picked up on this or not, but it looks like the MK IV and MK IV SE use the same front plate.

Here is a closeup of the logo on the LD MK IV (non-SE) model I purchased from Brooko. 

You can see where it once said "MK IV SE". 

Interesting! 

Nov 12, 2016 at 10:24 AM Post #545 of 584
Mine says Majestic...
biggrin.gif

Nov 12, 2016 at 8:16 PM Post #546 of 584
  Mine says Majestic...
biggrin.gif

Mr Dragon is this MK4 Majestic a Limited Edition What special features does it have besides being fit for a King ? Thank you .

Nov 13, 2016 at 11:05 AM Post #548 of 584
  Mr Dragon is this MK4 Majestic a Limited Edition What special features does it have besides being fit for a King ? Thank you .

That excellent nameplate, an upgraded Neutrik 1/4" HP jack and a very fine ВОСХОД 6Н2п-EB in the 6DJ8 adapter.
biggrin.gif

Nov 14, 2016 at 9:56 AM Post #550 of 584
I promise I'll stop posting photos of it soon. It's so sexy, I can't get over the aesthetic. 

Please post as many as you like, it's a great amplifier! 
biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif

May 7, 2017 at 12:40 AM Post #553 of 584
Hello Wendy, I never heard the LD MkII. But I would think its not that much better ,but definity better due to the more power. And all depends on the tubes you have or roll. Hope that helped a little any way. Thank you

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2017 at 8:46 AM Post #554 of 584
Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has compared this with the Valhalla 2. Looking for a tube amp for my HD600's.

Aug 27, 2017 at 9:03 PM Post #555 of 584
(Mods, if this is in the wrong place, please let me know)

LDMKIV tube rolling question from a newbie.

Bought my first tube to roll with: a pair of Mesa Boogie EL84/6BQ5s, recommended by a local dealer. They aren't working right: there's hardly any sound, just horrible static.

They are seated correctly, and I have de-oxidised the pins. They do not appear to be damaged or dead (silver top, no purple glow etc), and I bought them from a reputable dealer. Stock tubes working fine, with good sound, so it's not the amp itself. Before I send them back: it occurs to me that I may need to change the jumper switches. But I don't know what these look like, and Google is no help. Neither unfortunately is the LD manual/reference guide.

Do I need to change the jumper switches? If so, where are they? And please don't say 'next to the capacitors' - assume I'm an idiot please! Muchas gracias

Users who are viewing this thread

Back