The Little Dot Mk IV / SE Impressions Thread
Mar 10, 2016 at 6:05 PM Post #526 of 583

Apr 5, 2016 at 11:19 AM Post #527 of 583
  I've had my LD MKIV SE for several years now and use it primarily with 600ohm DT-880's. It is very versatile and I have also used my PS-500e and HE400 on it as well. I do find that mine is rather sensitive to RF so I have to careful of placement around computer and WiFi stuff. I've been using my Vallhalla more with the DT880 for classical.

How's the tube decay? Don't own any tube amp at moment but heard they die out like light bulbs over time and need replacement. Curious how long the bulbs would last in the LD MKIV SE of yours. I'm considering adding this amp to warm up the harsh brightness in my Beyerdynamic DT 880 / 600 ohms but don't like the idea of having to swap out tubes over time and having the sound consistency degrade.  Maybe I be better off sticking to solid state amps and getting another headphone with a signature less bright?

Apr 5, 2016 at 11:28 AM Post #528 of 583

How's the tube decay? Don't own any tube amp at moment but heard they die out like light bulbs over time and need replacement. Curious how long the bulbs would last in the LD MKIV SE of yours. I'm considering adding this amp to warm up the harsh brightness in my Beyerdynamic DT 880 / 600 ohms but don't like the idea of having to swap out tubes over time and having the sound consistency degrade.  Maybe I be better off sticking to solid state amps and getting another headphone with a signature less bright?

My experiences tell me that, in general, Beyerdynamic DT 880 / 600 ohms works better with an OTL tub amp like LD MKIV SE. For Beyerdynamic DT 880 / 600 ohms, it is hard, if not impossible, to find a solid state amp to match or beat the performance of an OTL tub amp. 

Apr 5, 2016 at 11:32 AM Post #529 of 583
My experiences tell me that, in general, Beyerdynamic DT 880 / 600 ohms works better with an OTL tub amp like LD MKIV SE. For Beyerdynamic DT 880 / 600 ohms, it is hard, if not impossible, to find a solid state amp to match or beat the performance of an OTL tub amp. 

Would you be able to suggest any OTL tube amp with a more affordable price tag than MK IV? I'm looking at less than 250 if possible. My DT880/600 are my only headphones that are too bright for me and adding a dedicated tube amp for this makes the affordable price of the DT880 not so affordable anymore.

Apr 5, 2016 at 12:22 PM Post #530 of 583
Would you be able to suggest any OTL tube amp with a more affordable price tag than MK IV? I'm looking at less than 250 if possible. My DT880/600 are my only headphones that are too bright for me and adding a dedicated tube amp for this makes the affordable price of the DT880 not so affordable anymore.

A Little Dot MK II or MK III then might be cheaper. Massdrop had the Darkvoice on sale a while back for a good price but that has expired.

If you are looking for tubes to take the brightness out of the DT880's then you might be disappointed, I'd try some EQ software first to take the treble two bumps out.

Apr 5, 2016 at 6:12 PM Post #531 of 583
New tubes are generally rated at 3000 to 5000 hours which when you think about your actual 'on' time is a long time. YMMV with NOS tubes. I've had mine for over 3 years and still on the original tubes.

The LD MKIII would be a lower cost option and the darkvoice I hear would also be a good option. Bear in mind the MKIV SE has upgraded tubes over the other options..

Apr 5, 2016 at 6:23 PM Post #532 of 583

Can't argue with changing headphones either. I have 5 amps and 6 headphones and for me the headphones make a more profound change in sound signature than the amps do.

Apr 5, 2016 at 11:04 PM Post #533 of 583
I won't worry about the life of the tubes.  Most of them are rated 3000 hrs and above, with some (e.g. C3g) rated at 10,000 hrs.
Changing tubes are much easier than changing FET's.  Just lift the tubes and replace them with suitable ones.  You do not need to open the cabinet.
In fact this is where all the fun in tube rolling, and all this thread is about!
You will soon notice there are many friendly helps from this thread to help you get started,  This thread is one of the most helpful and friendly threads I've seen.
Enjoy!

Apr 5, 2016 at 11:12 PM Post #534 of 583
I won't worry about the life of the tubes.  Most of them are rated 3000 hrs and above, with some (e.g. C3g) rated at 10,000 hrs.
Changing tubes are much easier than changing FET's.  Just lift the tubes and replace them with suitable ones.  You do not need to open the cabinet.
In fact this is where all the fun in tube rolling, and all this thread is about!
You will soon notice there are many friendly helps from this thread to help you get started,  This thread is one of the most helpful and friendly threads I've seen.
Enjoy!

Do tubes degrade over time (eg. Shelf life) even if you don't put in he usage hours?

Apr 6, 2016 at 12:44 AM Post #535 of 583
Do tubes degrade over time (eg. Shelf life) even if you don't put in he usage hours?

Not as far as I know.  Remember a lot of the NOS (new old stock) tubes are from the 50's-70's and they are still going strong.

Apr 6, 2016 at 1:28 AM Post #536 of 583

Not as far as I know.  Remember a lot of the NOS (new old stock) tubes are from the 50's-70's and they are still going strong.

That's positive to hear. Maybe I will look into a tube amp after all.  

Apr 12, 2016 at 9:43 AM Post #537 of 583

A Little Dot MK II or MK III then might be cheaper. Massdrop had the Darkvoice on sale a while back for a good price but that has expired.

If you are looking for tubes to take the brightness out of the DT880's then you might be disappointed, I'd try some EQ software first to take the treble two bumps out.

Software EQ is effective for DT800/600ohm, I tried it through foobar2000. 

Apr 13, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #538 of 583
those mullard 6ak5 should tame some of those highs. I think the 8100 are very warm, but i'm not sure if they are the ones.

Jul 10, 2016 at 11:56 AM Post #539 of 583
Thought I would post my experience with the LD MK IV SE FYI & for the record (FTR??) 

MassDrop Little Dot Mk IV SE

Just received my replacement LD MkIV se. The input & output jacks are wired correctly, but I notice that it too has the warped PCB. Guess that's the way most are made. It's not right & I will strip mine down & get the right length stand offs & clean the solder flux off the board. I resent having to do this, but at least I will have peace of mind when done. This gave me the opportunity to remove the lock on the phones jack too, before it causes an accident. I've included a picture.
Regarding the bent PCB, the tube sockets are 7/16" tall & the PCB stand-offs are 11/32". The tube sockets don't extend through the holes in the top, so the PCB bends when the screws are tightened. It may last a long time like that, but mine is getting longer stand-offs. Cleaned off the solder flux too, so that was a big relief. It is likely corrosive, so it had to go! I'd be curious if all of these units were made with the short stand-offs. I'd like to see inside of an older one that was not made to fill the MD order. These may be using a different tube sockets. Ones that don't fit through the hole in the case or are just taller. Longer stand-offs should take care of it. 
kev

clip_image001.jpg

In the process, I removed the lock mechanism in the HP jack. Didn’t see any reason for it & worried about causing damage if, somehow, I jerked on the cable. 

kev
clip_image002.jpg

Update; I added washers under the stand-offs to make their height match the tube sockets. It went back together OK until I tried to install the front panel. It seems that the PCB/standoff dimension is correct & the tube sockets are either too high or too big around to fit the holes in the top of the case. I got the front panel on, but I don't like that the PCB is now stressed in the front. 
Solution 1. Replace tube sockets with shorter or narrower sockets.
Solution 2. Enlarge the holes in the top of the case to allow the tube sockets to stick through. 
I am probably going with the second solution. 
P.S. I hope anyone reading this doesn't think I am overly obsessing about the bent PCB, but my background in engineering & R&D sees this as a serious breaking of the rules of quality assembly. PCBs are not generally made to be bent to this degree, or at all! It will likely fail at some point. I hope for everyone else's sake that it doesn't, but mine is going to be made right one way or another. This thing does sound nice though. I have to give the electrical engineer credit here. It's the mechanical engineer that is to blame. BTW I think you should be able to disable the locking phone jack without opening the unit up. Not sure if the wires are long enough. I can elaborate if anyone wants to do it. It's easy.

Update: If anyone cares??? I finally enlarged the tube holes in the chassis to accommodate the tube sockets. (Solution 2) Used a Dremel, but ended up finishing with files. The large holes need to be a bit over 1" & the smaller ones about 3/4". I thought that I could use the brass plate as a guide, but the large holes need to be a bit larger than the holes in the brass cover & the small holes a bit smaller. Anyway, it's all back together & working, with a flat, unbent, PCB. One of the hardest parts is learning how to maneuver the wires to get the board out & then to get it back in. When you get the wires arranged properly, the PCB assy. comes out & goes in smoothly. Glad that's over, as it was bugging me that the unit just wasn't right. The amp is much happier now. I would like to tell you that it sounds much better with an unstressed PCB, but I really can't tell a difference. :wink: Also enjoying the non-locking jack. 
Regards, kev

Oct 2, 2016 at 8:34 AM Post #540 of 583
Hey all, 

My LDMKIV should be here in a few days.

Of all the amps I've purchased and owned over the years, I don't think I've been as excited as I am for this one.

I'll be using it for reviews, but also for my 600ohm DT880.

Also plan to use the pre-amps to speakers, and to other SS amps that drive my other cans well.

Exciting times. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back