The Little Dot Mk IV / SE Impressions Thread
Jan 2, 2015 at 10:34 AM Post #496 of 583
I'm continually amazed how good the MKIVSE sounds everytime I return to it.  I compare it with my Woo WA6SE, WA22, GraceM903, Benchmark DAC2 HGC and it holds it own.  In fact, it more than holds it own, it is a immensely underrated bargain.  Those who question it's SQ vs. XYZ brand/model should not worry.  This little wonder is worth your investment no matter what you trade up to in the future.

Jan 7, 2015 at 10:12 PM Post #497 of 583
Ok im another newbie here. Looking to swap out my tubes on my LD MK IV. Can you give me a short list of easy to find tubes that will fit please? Already swapped my driver? tubes for some Russian tubes but now im questioning the quality. Id like 3-4 examples of driver and power tubes. Im just beginning to learn the difference between the 2. I listen to a lot of rock and electronic if that makes any difference. Thank you in advance for your time and wisdom. Justin.

Jan 7, 2015 at 11:28 PM Post #498 of 583
  Ok im another newbie here. Looking to swap out my tubes on my LD MK IV. Can you give me a short list of easy to find tubes that will fit please? Already swapped my driver? tubes for some Russian tubes but now im questioning the quality. Id like 3-4 examples of driver and power tubes. Im just beginning to learn the difference between the 2. I listen to a lot of rock and electronic if that makes any difference. Thank you in advance for your time and wisdom. Justin.

Want to learn more on tube rolling go to the tube rollin guide thread                                                                                                                        http://www.head-fi.org/t/563884/little-dot-tube-amps-vacuum-tube-rolling-guide/8850#post_11198188                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       Very good plug& play power tube  are the 6N6P-IR    and  6GU7                                                                                                   good driver tubes are the  6HM5 Yugo tall bottles              
                                                                                                                                                                                                 http://www.ebay.com/itm/261418431621?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251611916081?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               Have fun .

Apr 4, 2015 at 6:02 AM Post #499 of 583
Hello, I'm considering buying my first tube amp. Does anybody know:

* How do the Little Dot Mk IV compare to the Little Dot MK3? (difference in output level, any noticeable differences in sound quality, etc.?)

* Would you recommend that these would pair well with the Beyer. DT 880 (32 ohm) or the Senn. HD 600 headphones?

+ any DAC recommendation would be nice, if you would be so kind. Thanks sincerely!

Apr 4, 2015 at 5:30 PM Post #500 of 583
  Hello, I'm considering buying my first tube amp. Does anybody know:

* How do the Little Dot Mk IV compare to the Little Dot MK3? (difference in output level, any noticeable differences in sound quality, etc.?)

* Would you recommend that these would pair well with the Beyer. DT 880 (32 ohm) or the Senn. HD 600 headphones?

+ any DAC recommendation would be nice, if you would be so kind. Thanks sincerely!

Theres not much action here your best bet is to go to the LITTEDOT TUBE ROLLING GUIDE thread  link below youll get your answer there 
http://www.head-fi.org/t/563884/little-dot-tube-amps-vacuum-tube-rolling-guide/9450#post_11475949

the Littledot is better paired with high impedance HP i own a  mk3 and if i remember it is warmer sounding than a MK4 from what ive heard .Also a very useful feature atop the page is THE SEARCH THIS THREAD function makes it alot easier to find answers to your questions                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   For Dacs i wouldnt know personnally i am using the DAC from my Burson Conductor and considering a WYRED4SOUND dac 2 that  pairs well with my HD 800 it seems And by the way with either LD's you have lots of tube rolling capabilitys.See you there.

May 31, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #501 of 583
Hi,

I remember having tried the mkIII and the mkIV together, and then decided to buy the mkIV. The mkIV was just more punchy, precise and powerful, so I went for it. To me the sound of the mkIII was a bit more muddy (or soft/tubey, as you prefer), and I thought that it could be more fatigued with a lower impedance headphone.
I can't be happier, it's a wonderful versatile amp once you find the correct dip switch feedback setting for your headphones. I use it most of the times with a pair of hd280pro (64 ohms), sometimes with my hd800 (300 ohms). It really shines.

fbx

Jul 24, 2015 at 6:41 AM Post #502 of 583
Just got my Mk4 a week ago!  
I owned a few tube pre-amps and power amps, but this device is my very first Tube Headphone amp!
I have 2 other "portable" headphone amps, and I read about the good reports on this forum, and decide to try it.
After I received the little guy, I switched it on and cannot get rid of my headphones.  My AKG's never sound so good before!
I've been listening and enjoying my music every evening since I received the Mk4. It's amazing!

My amp came with a pair of GE 5 star 5654 and a pair of 6H30PiEH.
I think it already sounds pretty good, but I have just ordered a pair of JAN 6AK5 and start my journey in tube rolling!
I have been studying the tube rolling thread and hope to get the most out of this fantastic device!

Jul 24, 2015 at 10:58 PM Post #503 of 583
you best start reading the tube rolling thread from the back forwards.The best tubes we have discovered are the C3G with adapters and the 6N23P also with an adapter.

Jul 25, 2015 at 4:30 AM Post #504 of 583
Thanks Superdux,

I'm trying hard to catch up with all the threads about LD tube rolling.  It will take me a while to digest them!
Thanks for your hints on the C3g.  It seems it is a plug-n-play job with the necessary tube converter socket and the C3g tubes themselves, and nothing else!
Did someone mention all C3g were made by Siemens and they are identical?

Jul 25, 2015 at 5:25 AM Post #505 of 583
  Thanks Superdux,

I'm trying hard to catch up with all the threads about LD tube rolling.  It will take me a while to digest them!
Thanks for your hints on the C3g.  It seems it is a plug-n-play job with the necessary tube converter socket and the C3g tubes themselves, and nothing else!

No, Lorenz C3G is different. There's also Siemens C3G & C3GS. The "S" is supposedly better than the non-S.

Here's a photo I took of the Lorenz C3G (left tube) and Siemens C3GS (right tube)

Jul 25, 2015 at 7:09 PM Post #506 of 583
  Thanks Superdux,

There are some C3G that won't work. See this page, which states there is an "old" and "new" C3G with different pin settings and voltage.
http://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_c3g.html

Jul 30, 2015 at 1:20 AM Post #508 of 583
Thanks for the help!

Do I understand correctly that I should look for the "new" type C3g?  
Is it true that most C3g tubes in the market today are the "new" type, and the "old" type is rather rare and not usable here?

I found some Siemens C3m/C3g,  are these what I needed?  The box is marked C3m, but the seller claims C3m = C3g !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back