The Little Dot Mk IV / SE Impressions Thread
Feb 22, 2011 at 5:59 PM Post #138 of 583
The Audio-Technica ATH-AD900 has an impedance of 35 ohm. Little Dot don't specify the output impedance of the MK IV, but typically it's quite high for amps of this design. I understand it's bad if the output impedance is higher than the impedance of the load (headphone) as the amp will struggle to supply the current the load is drawing.

Amps such as the MK IV tend to be paired best with headphones like the HD 6XX, as they have a higher impedance of around 300 ohm.

Having said that, Little Dot's website states the amp will easily drive 32 - 600 ohm headphones.

I hope what I've said here is correct. I'm still getting my head around concepts such as impedance.

Apr 15, 2011 at 9:53 AM Post #143 of 583
I'm curious, what's the difference betweem the MKIV and MKIV SE? Do you guys think that it will synergize with the Beyerdynamic T1 well?

higher quality jack and RCA sockets + different tubes with golden pins

Apr 16, 2011 at 5:51 AM Post #145 of 583
On paper the two should pair well. The MK IV SE is an OTL tube and the T1 is a high impedance headphone, so specs. wise the two should be a good match. I've also read many comments that the T1 goes well with tubes from a sound signature perspective.

I heard the T1 for the first time recently at the UK head-fi meet driven by a Darkvoice tube amp, the audition was only brief and meets aren't the best place for critical listening, but I was very impressed with the sound. Further details of my impressions can be found in the link in my signature.

Apr 25, 2011 at 2:44 AM Post #147 of 583
@kwang411

the cv4010 are likely from mullard england. since thats the standard naming for European tubes. and yes same tubes from different companies will sound slightly different. even the same tubes from mullard made from vastly different year will be slightly off as well.

and as for the Bass lacking from prior reads. i have found the RCA EF95 series tend to help with that. at the least when i had it with my shure 840's the RCA drivers compared to tung-sol and my Ge amongst other seems to give a little more power to the bass.

Apr 30, 2011 at 11:07 PM Post #148 of 583
O.K.   MK IV se owners,  I picked up a pair of EF 91 driver tubes, I now realize I need to switch the "jumpers" from the factory setting to the "short circuit" setting in order for the amp to use this type of tube.  I assumed that these Jumpers were accessed through the same holes in the bottom of the amp that the gain switches are accessed through. In looking through the holes with a flash light, I'm not seeing anything that looks like a removable jumper. Is that because the factory setting is with the "jumpers removed" and there aren't any jumpers included? Or are the jumpers accessed by opening the amp up and moving the included jumpers from one place to the other on the circuit board?  

If anyone could shed some light on this subject I'd appreciate it.    thanks 

May 4, 2011 at 9:36 AM Post #149 of 583
Just have my LD mk4 se in da house!! Own a beyer dt990 600 ohm last few months, my avr n I cute beyond can't drive it very well. But now I really enjoying the power of the beyer. This is a excellent combo to me!! Few weeks back before my LD arrive, I listen to another combo at headphone shop. It's also a very good combo akg k701 with rudistor rp5.3. I like jazz n dance music. Beyer sounds very good in vocal n rock but the akg n rudistor combo sounds wider n refine. I feeling like get a k701. But can't afford the rudistor. Any 1 here listen to LD with 701 before? Any Idea for this combo?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back