The Leben CS300XS Thread
Jan 29, 2010 at 2:39 AM Post #16 of 2,299
Hey Gu Sensei -

My interest in this amp has been piqued again. How have you liked yours?

Jan 30, 2010 at 1:32 AM Post #17 of 2,299
Hi Skylab,

Yeah, this amp is great. It is wonderful with my speakers and fantastic with most headphones I have tried, Grados being a less than perfect match. Everything sounds incredibly clear with great extension in both directions and just a touch of color that really sounds nice through very neutral cans. The gain is an issue as I have to stay below 9 o'clock for both headphones and speakers. I really only have three or four usable ticks on the dial for my Denons. The functionality is nice also with five inputs and a line out. Above all, it is simply the one of coolest looking amps I have seen. It is hard to say how much of my appreciation for its sonics is influenced by its looks. :)

I really want to get this one refurbished but just have not yet had a chance to investigate how to do it and how much it will cost. Based on the address I have encountered, I may very well be able to drop it off in person.

I adore mine and despite encountering many interesting amps in my many trips into Osaka's electronics town, I have yet to feel an urge to try anything else out. It pretty much has achieved permanent membership in my rig.

I would love to hear your thoughts on it if you get a chance to audition one!

Jan 30, 2010 at 1:42 AM Post #18 of 2,299
Thanks very much for that! Unfortunately for me, there is no Chicago area dealer than carries them. The bummer is I was just in Tokyo 2 weeks ago, but didn't have time to get to Akihabara, which I usually do on my business trips to Japan. I know I could have picked on up there. In the US the CS300XS is $3,495. So I have to consider it very carefully, especially since I would be using it just for headphones.

But I like the circuit topology and tube complement - and yes, the wonderful cosmetics!

We shall see...still considering it...

Jan 30, 2010 at 3:41 AM Post #19 of 2,299
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know I could have picked on up there.

From my wanderings in Akihabara and Nipponbashi in Osaka, I have only seen them carried in one place (Osaka) and that was just for about a month. I think they are usually special orders.

Quote:

In the US the CS300XS is $3,495.

Ouch. That is crazy-talk. I just searched and see the retail price is 180,000 yen here but in fact, if you go through Price Japan, they will ship one to the US for about $2000. I guess maybe buying in the US gets 110V rather than Japan's 100V.

They have seriously come down in price since I checked last. I am a little shocked at how inexpensive they are now. Instead of refurbishing this one, I might just grab a new one and swap in my Mullards. Hmm...

Quote:

But I like the circuit topology and tube complement -

I am definitely not knowledgeable about amps. If you get a chance, I would love to hear what appeals to you about them in terms of design and tubes and maybe what other dedicated headphones amps have a similar topology.

Jan 30, 2010 at 2:48 PM Post #20 of 2,299
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gu Sensei /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I am definitely not knowledgeable about amps. If you get a chance, I would love to hear what appeals to you about them in terms of design and tubes and maybe what other dedicated headphones amps have a similar topology.

I don't claim to be an expert on circuit design, but the CS300XS uses tubes I consider to be excellent sounding (12AX7 gain, EL84/6BQ5 power), and is transformer coupled, so should be able to drive low impedance headphones as well as high, although I note that several people, including you I believe, did not think they were very good with the low impedance Grados. The amp is very nicely point-to-point wired, and the circuit appears to be, and is touted to be, quite simple. Given the rated output power, I assume the Leben is using the EL84 in their native pentode mode, which IME will give is a robust, "meaty" sound, without being overly tubey, all other things being equal.

Here is an interesting post (and thread) from Audio Asylum about tube-rolling and the CS300: http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.mpl?...ht=leben+cs300

There have been a LOT of amps that use 2 x EL84 and 2 x 12AX7 - including my $400 Ming Da MC84C-07, which sounds quite good. But I'm sure there is a much higher level of performance that can be had from an amp of this design.

Now if only I could get one at a reasonable price. Oh well. The US Distributor, while polite, doesn't seem to see my point that I shouldn't have to pay a dealer in Cleveland 35% margin on a $3,500 when he won't be giving me any support at all - just taking my payment and passing my order to the distributor. So unless I find one used, I will have to admire this amp from afar, I'm afraid.

Mar 6, 2010 at 2:41 PM Post #21 of 2,299
Well, I am not sure that anyone cares but me and Gu-Sensei, but through a twist of good-fortune for me, I was able to acquire his CS300X, as he bought a new one. It arrived yesterday.

I had not really thought through the fact that the Leben is transformer-coupled - and after getting over the surprise, I realized what a good thing that is for me, as all my other top tube amps are OTL. The Leben gave me the chance to use a tube amp with the low-impedance Denon D7000 and Ultrasone Ed 8. And based on just one day's listening, this is going to be a VERY good thing
biggrin.gif
The CS300X sounds fantastic - it is really incredibly good sounding as a headphone amp. I need to do some comparisons, but it may well be the best sounding headphone amp I have. It is certainly among the best.

Someday I may try it as an integrated amp - but as a headphone amp - it's terrific.

Mar 6, 2010 at 3:34 PM Post #22 of 2,299
Great buy, great amp, pity you dont own K1000, would be interesting read your opinion, cos at 15w p.ch. can be a good match to. Gongrats!

Quote:

Well, I am not sure that anyone cares but me and Gu-Sensei, but through a twist of good-fortune for me, I was able to acquire his CS300X, as he bought a new one. It arrived yesterday.

I had not really thought through the fact that the Leben is transformer-coupled - and after getting over the surprise, I realized what a good thing that is for me, as all my other top tube amps are OTL. The Leben gave me the chance to use a tube amp with the low-impedance Denon D7000 and Ultrasone Ed 8. And based on just one day's listening, this is going to be a VERY good thing
biggrin.gif
The CS300X sounds fantastic - it is really incredibly good sounding as a headphone amp. I need to do some comparisons, but it may well be the best sounding headphone amp I have. It is certainly among the best.

Someday I may try it as an integrated amp - but as a headphone amp - it's terrific.

Mar 6, 2010 at 8:01 PM Post #24 of 2,299
Haven't tried that combination yet - but will soon.

Mar 6, 2010 at 10:09 PM Post #25 of 2,299
Quote:

And based on just one day's listening, this is going to be a VERY good thing
biggrin.gif

Agreed, I like it very much. I bought it for K1000 but later found that it works very well also with HD800. Actually I can have both connected and switch between them with the headphone/speaker switch. The problem with HD800 is that there are few usable steps on the volume control, but is is a continuous potentiometer and you can set it between the preset steps. I have no problem with the slightly emphasized treble of HD800 with the Leben amp - at least not with the right tubes. The treble can sometimes be a little tiring and unnatural with other amps.

There have been some demo and used CS300 floating around in Sweden for about 1500 Euro and I found a demo and it is a very good value at this price. It feels like a keeper and I have bought rather many tubes - most moderately priced. I am cautious with NOS output tube that are expensive (e.g. Mullard), hard to find and will worn out. I assume the rarity is the reason that the CS300X model (with Mullards) has been discontinued.

The stock GE Jan 5751 is not my favorite, although it has a very pleasant and elegant sound with the Sovtek EL84 that are stock tubes in the standard model. As I understand it the same GE 5751 is used also in the more expensive models and giving at a beautiful, smooth coloration in my taste, IME and IMO. Just now I have a Telefunken smooth plate that I prefer and it was not especially expensive as used. I am so satisfied with this and the new stock Gold Lion EL84 that I not yet have fully tried all the tubes I have bought. But tube rolling will go on and is in a preliminary stage. The Leben amp is sensitive to tubes and that makes it difficult to say exactly how it sounds but there are many tube combination that make it shine.

I also happen to like that the tubes are not visible and the amp is simple to place. Of course it needs some ventilation but it never runs especially hot.

Mar 6, 2010 at 11:10 PM Post #26 of 2,299
I'm using all Sylvania tubes - 5751's and 6BQ5's - grey plate in both cases. The sound is very smooth, but not overly tubey. Very, very nice. It's a very robust, organic, involving, and detailed sound. I'm highly impressed.

Obligatory pics
biggrin.gif
:

DSC02130.jpg

DSC02136.jpg

Mar 6, 2010 at 11:45 PM Post #27 of 2,299
Very nice, Rob. Sweet amp - congrats.

Thanks for sharing with pics!

Mar 6, 2010 at 11:52 PM Post #28 of 2,299
Thanks man! I'm really digging it. I've gone a little nuts with the head-fi purchases this year...my ears are thanking me, but my wallet sure hates me
biggrin.gif

Mar 7, 2010 at 8:44 AM Post #30 of 2,299
Looking good Skylab! That is a nice little set-up.
beerchug.gif

Again, I am really glad you bumped this thread. I truly believed the CS300Xs were out of production and never would have thought to seek out a new one if you hadn't. As far as amps go, this is 'the one' for me and I am super pleased to have a brand spanking new model in my possession. I will try to snap a photo soon. The green bars on yours are a little darker and mine has 'CS300XS' as opposed to just 'CS300X' as on yours.

It is great to be reading some positive impressions from you and Anders. I have or had the Apache, HA5000, HA-02, and Zana and none have made me want to move on from the Leben- certainly not for my D7000s. With other headphones, I am usually just as happy with the Leben as with any of those other amps, usually just a matter of a different flavor or a clear preference for the Leben. The connectivity, sonics, looks, and dual function as integrated and headphone amp all combine to make a perfect centerpiece for my main rig.

It is too bad the mark-up is so excessive when selling from dealers overseas. They could be quite popular among Head-Fi members.

@vcoheda, it is 10.5kgs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back