The Leben CS300XS Thread
May 27, 2010 at 11:34 AM Post #46 of 2,299

Quote:

There is no doubt for me that NOS real Mullards will sound better.  But a nice quad of Mullard EL84's will run $400+.  So I use Sylvanias in mine - got a nice quad of NOS Sylvanias for $100.

Thanks for the reply. I am also trying to figure out if it is worth the extra bucks (or perhaps my quickly dropping euros) for the CS 300X rather than the CS 300. So are you trying to say that  a CS300 with NOS Mullards or even NOS Sylvanias will sound better than a CS300X(S) with stock sovteks?

Any way it's interesting that a guy that has spent as much money and time as you on gear willl stop $300 short and punt on the mullards
biggrin.gif
. That says something really good about the sylvanias. Don't it?

May 27, 2010 at 12:10 PM Post #47 of 2,299
I've often wondered why small pp tube integrateds like the Leben aren't more popular here. One of my favorite amps of all time is the Dynaco SCA35. Easily cloned, or available used for around $350. Might call it a "poor man's" Leben.

May 27, 2010 at 1:22 PM Post #48 of 2,299

Quote:

Thanks for the reply. I am also trying to figure out if it is worth the extra bucks (or perhaps my quickly dropping euros) for the CS 300X rather than the CS 300. So are you trying to say that  a CS300 with NOS Mullards or even NOS Sylvanias will sound better than a CS300X(S) with stock sovteks?

Any way it's interesting that a guy that has spent as much money and time as you on gear willl stop $300 short and punt on the mullards
biggrin.gif
. That says something really good about the sylvanias. Don't it?

I literally have a whole closet full of tubes.  I have some Mullards - and I think the Sylvania black-plate 6BQ5's are very nearly as good, yes.  I have no way to answer your first question, though.

May 28, 2010 at 12:07 AM Post #49 of 2,299
I read in the 6moons review that the MSRP for the cs 300 was $2495.

I called the US distributor this week to order one and the distributor told me it went up to $2995 because the dollar exchange rate was poor and it has been at that price for a couple of years.

The $500 bump up was enough to scare me off.

I really wanted to get one, and I don't want to order one from Japan directly with the 100v voltage.

There are alot of super amps to choose from within that $3000 range, too bad it's not going to be a Leben.

May 28, 2010 at 7:59 PM Post #50 of 2,299
I have a chance to audition Leben CS300SX (Stock tubes), it really drive T1 very well. Sparkling high, transparent, detail, punchy bass and exceptionally good imaging, good workmanship of the product and definitely look classic. My only issue is the pathetic 2 tiny click allowance to adjust T1 volume. If further more will blow your ears and your headphone drivers. I quite scare if someone try to be funny and joke with me by turning up the volume. The minor will be somehow feel slower compare with phoenix for fast track. The price also quoted quite high locally compare with Japan.

May 28, 2010 at 8:40 PM Post #51 of 2,299
All of the amps I have could blow your ears out if turned up too high. The most I ever use the volume on any is about 1/3 rotation! But the Leben's stepped attenuator can make exact volume adjustments difficult especially if you have a very high-level source.

I don't find the Leben at all slow, though. I actually thought it made the Phoenix sound thick by comparison. But we all do hear differently!

May 31, 2010 at 3:13 PM Post #52 of 2,299
I now have a CS300 on the way.

Is there something in particular I should know about this amp?
Should I turn it on with or without headphones plugged in?
Is it okey to change headphones without turning it off?
Should one wait a very long time after it's turned off before I roll tubes?
How should the impedance be set for headpones? For speakers? Can I change the impedance while the amp is on?
Could I somehow damage it by using wrong load/wrong speakers/headpones?
Can I change input while the amp is on?
Anything else?

May 31, 2010 at 3:19 PM Post #53 of 2,299
I change headphones with mine on - no problems.  I almost always turn it on with the headphones plugged in - also no problem.  There is no setting for the impedance of headphones - just speakers (which is on the back).  Rolling tubes requires taking the top off, and the amp does get hot, so you should wait 30 minutes or so.  You cannot damage the amp by using headphones of any impedance.  It does well with high and low impedance headphones.    I have swapped input devices while the amp was on (but with the input selector on a different input, and the volume all the way down).

Hope that helps.

May 31, 2010 at 3:57 PM Post #54 of 2,299
You guys are making me salivate, everytimne you talk about this amp. Skylab is this your favorite amp these days?

May 31, 2010 at 3:58 PM Post #55 of 2,299

Quote:
You guys are making me salivate, everytimne you talk about this amp. Skylab is this your favorite amp these days?

Yes, and by a pretty wide margin.

May 31, 2010 at 4:00 PM Post #56 of 2,299
Great, all I have to do is see if I can rob a bank.
biggrin.gif

Anyway, its the usual head-fi tax....

Jun 1, 2010 at 2:16 AM Post #57 of 2,299

Quote:
All of the amps I have could blow your ears out if turned up too high. The most I ever use the volume on any is about 1/3 rotation! But the Leben's stepped attenuator can make exact volume adjustments difficult especially if you have a very high-level source.

I don't find the Leben at all slow, though. I actually thought it made the Phoenix sound thick by comparison. But we all do hear differently!

I only have a short time for the audition. Perhaps you have more accurate impression but there will be my first initial impression. Yet no doubt it is an impressive amp. Definitely added into my wishlist.

Wonder how much different from using Mullard tube?

Jun 1, 2010 at 4:08 AM Post #58 of 2,299

Quote:
I now have a CS300 on the way.

Very nice! Congratulations. A very good amp indeed and a wise decision.

Did you order through Price Japan? They are still saying that the limited version of the CS300XS is discontinued and the normal version will be available around June 15. Is the 'normal version' they refer to actually the CS300?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henmyr 

Is there something in particular I should know about this amp?
Should I turn it on with or without headphones plugged in?
Is it okey to change headphones without turning it off?
Should one wait a very long time after it's turned off before I roll tubes?
How should the impedance be set for headpones? For speakers? Can I change the impedance while the amp is on?
Could I somehow damage it by using wrong load/wrong speakers/headpones?
Can I change input while the amp is on?
Anything else?

x2 on what Skylab wrote!

Please update with first impressions and all that. Enjoy!

beerchug.gif

Jun 1, 2010 at 4:32 AM Post #59 of 2,299

Quote:

Very nice! Congratulations. A very good amp indeed and a wise decision.

Did you order through Price Japan? They are still saying that the limited version of the CS300XS is discontinued and the normal version will be available around June 15. Is the 'normal version' they refer to actually the CS300?

x2 on what Skylab wrote!

Please update with first impressions and all that. Enjoy!

beerchug.gif

I have one on order also, what Kaneda says is that the moniker on the plate will still have the "XS" , although it is a "normal" or standard version. Don't matter to me none, I just want one! I have a near-field arrangement with the baby Harbeth's that this will fit snugly into.
wink.gif

Jun 1, 2010 at 5:02 AM Post #60 of 2,299

Quote:
I have one on order also, what Kaneda says is that the moniker on the plate will still have the "XS" , although it is a "normal" or standard version. Don't matter to me none, I just want one! I have a near-field arrangement with the baby Harbeth's that this will fit snugly into.
wink.gif

I am very much looking forward to your impressions.
wink.gif

That must be the CS300 then. I wonder if the CS300XS has actually been discontinued or it will just be an indefinite amount of time before the next run. I would feel completely satisfied with the CS300 as well. It is a great amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back