The Latest Must Have: The Fiio E10 USB DAC/Amp
Oct 3, 2011 at 10:12 PM Post #46 of 69

Quote:
My E7 just died, and I was looking to get it repaired, but after reading that review, I think I'll just buy an E10 instead.
It should pair nicely with the HE-300s I'm planning to buy before the year's end.

Sweet. You'll like the HE-300. Works well with budget setups like the E10.

Oct 3, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #47 of 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif

No, E10 isn't designed to be used as pre-amp.

Forgive my ignorance but what is it that prevents use as a pre-amp (I was about to order it and hoped to use it this way so glad I saw this)?   Is there an impedance mismatch issue or something like that?

Oct 3, 2011 at 10:40 PM Post #48 of 69

Quote:
Forgive my ignorance but what is it that prevents use as a pre-amp (I was about to order it and hoped to use it this way so glad I saw this)?   Is there an impedance mismatch issue or something like that?

Well, if you really want to use it as a pre-amp, I guess you can. But pre-amp is generally designed to output signal that is high in SNR (i.e. line level) as the next stage is a power amp. There are however 'pre-amp' that is merely a volume pot (*no amplification) that is used to control the amplitude of the signal going into the power amp. For E10, the line-out is fixed level so it can't be used as pre-amp out. You can use the headphone-out for pre-amp purpose but it will be like double amping since there is gain stage in E10. Technically speaking, you should get a better result with a real pre-amp. But in practice, you might not hear much of any difference.

Oct 4, 2011 at 3:25 AM Post #49 of 69

Quote:
Yes, preorder, not 2 so we'll see.

got response from mp4nation:

We\'re actually expecting the FiiO E10s to arrive by October 10th. We\'ll be packing and mailing out as soon as the stock comes in.
I do apologise for the slight delay! You should be getting a notification email as soon as we\'ve mailed your order out, as well as your tracking number.

Oct 4, 2011 at 5:03 AM Post #50 of 69
Quote:
That probably makes a big difference. 

You'll be surprised how little difference it makes when you don't know the price of the products you're comparing

Oct 8, 2011 at 8:10 AM Post #53 of 69
Waiting @AU. Hurry up already!

Nov 27, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #57 of 69
These sound nice (and simple) . . kinda like something I'm looking for.  I just want to connect something to the usb port on the back of my 2011 iMac, plug in my Audio Technica ATH-M50 and listen to music on my iTunes.  Is it basically simple as that to get better audio than how I'm using my headphones right now? - currently using my headphones plugged directly into 3.5 mm port on back of my iMac (no amps/dac in between).

Nov 29, 2011 at 3:51 PM Post #58 of 69

Quote:
These sound nice (and simple) . . kinda like something I'm looking for.  I just want to connect something to the usb port on the back of my 2011 iMac, plug in my Audio Technica ATH-M50 and listen to music on my iTunes.  Is it basically simple as that to get better audio than how I'm using my headphones right now?

Yep, it's that simple.  You might have to change your default audio output manually or restart your computer (some people have needed to do this with their Macs), but it's a plug-and-play device.  No software or anything to install.

Nov 29, 2011 at 4:32 PM Post #59 of 69

Quote:
Yep, it's that simple.  You might have to change your default audio output manually or restart your computer (some people have needed to do this with their Macs), but it's a plug-and-play device.  No software or anything to install.

Thanks Lime . . .  a quick question if you don't mind:

After I connect the e10, what should I set my iMac's internal volume at?  I've read everything from 50 - 100% and using the e10's volume control from that point on.

edit:  tried different settings and the following works best for me on my iMac: 
  1. Computer volume at 100%
  2. Bass boost "on"
  3. Gain set on "low"

Nov 30, 2011 at 2:42 PM Post #60 of 69

Quote:
Thanks Lime . . .  a quick question if you don't mind:

After I connect the e10, what should I set my iMac's internal volume at?  I've read everything from 50 - 100% and using the e10's volume control from that point on.

edit:  tried different settings and the following works best for me on my iMac: 
  1. Computer volume at 100%
  2. Bass boost "on"
  3. Gain set on "low"

Yep - the best way to set it up is with the computer volume maxed out.  Bass boost is a matter of preference, and gain mostly relates to which headphones you're using.  Higher impedance headphones may need the high gain setting to reach a comfortable listening volume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back