The last great Rock N Roll band
Mar 2, 2007 at 11:38 PM Post #17 of 65
it's ignorance at its finest if anyone thinks that you can define the "last great rock band". since there's many good rock bands among us today... a few years ago i had the "all music from the last 5 years sucks" attitude, and i think that was pretty stupid of me...

but, to not make this a complete thread crap, the most recent album in my top ten is Porcupine Tree's Deadwing- two years young. after that, it's The Smashing Pumpkins' Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness.

Mar 2, 2007 at 11:44 PM Post #18 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it's ignorance at its finest if anyone thinks that you can define the "last great rock band". since there's many good rock bands among us today... a few years ago i had the "all music from the last 5 years sucks" attitude, and i think that was pretty stupid of me...

but, to not make this a complete thread crap, the most recent album in my top ten is Porcupine Tree's Deadwing- two years young. after that, it's The Smashing Pumpkins' Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness.

Rock 'n Roll.
Not Rock.....

Mar 2, 2007 at 11:55 PM Post #19 of 65
First of all, GNR is not rock n roll. It's butt rock created with good instrumentals but idiotic lyrics intended for the mentally challenged rednecks out there.
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 3, 2007 at 3:17 AM Post #21 of 65
Anytime a "who was the greatest" question comes up, you can't expect to get an answer everyone agrees on. But it's still interesting to see other poeples view points.

Keeping to the original question of Rock & Roll, I can't come up with one that clearly wins for me.

How about early Beatles?

Is Rockabilly close enough to Rock & Roll? Then Stray Cats.

Mar 3, 2007 at 6:13 AM Post #23 of 65
after consideration, i would like to change my vote to bill haley and his comets. they did it first, and best.

Mar 3, 2007 at 7:39 AM Post #24 of 65
Pearl Jam?
(Although I cant stand any of their new material)
Ten sure as $hi$ was rock n' roll.

Mar 3, 2007 at 8:22 AM Post #25 of 65
Rock & Rock died when Nirvana ended. . . . . Since then it's stopped being a vital music form and become nothing more than a nostalgia journey much like "Doo Wap" is today.

- augustwest

Mar 3, 2007 at 8:57 AM Post #27 of 65
GNR has a great album with Appetite - truly a great album. Lies was also pretty good. But then .... they released that self indulgent rubbish that should have been called Abuse your Delusion. Axl had a pretty average voice live, but he had good stage presence.

They got caught up in thei rown hype and instead of doing what had made them famous, they wrote and release music that allowed them to pursue more artistic directions. And seriously, whoever allowed November Rain to be selected as a Bond song should have been sacked. It's not an epic song - it just drags on a bit too much.

Remember, this is my opinion and I don't write any of it with any desire or intention of being offensive.

Mar 3, 2007 at 6:57 PM Post #29 of 65
modern "rock" has more to do with what they used to call boogie-woogie. when rock was coming of age in the 60's and early 70's, seminal bands like pink floyd, the beatles, the band, etc., had for the most part a sound more rooted in boogie-woogie than rock 'n' roll.

blues-->boogie-woogie (dance blues)-->rock/country

Mar 3, 2007 at 7:51 PM Post #30 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by newgnr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
gnr was...and when the new album is released they will once again be the biggest band in rock history.

There is no way you could possibly believe that. Regardless of what your SN is, expecting the Next 'GnR' to be anything but complete and utter trash is naive to the point of severely delusional. I would bet big money that the next Britney album will be much much more listenable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back