The last great Rock N Roll band
Mar 5, 2007 at 2:17 AM Post #46 of 65
BON JOVI!!

[size=xx-small]just kidding, he sucks[/size]

Mar 5, 2007 at 1:16 PM Post #48 of 65
actually... this just occurred to me. in terms of song structure, The Ramones would certainly qualify as Rock and Roll.

so i'm changing my answer to The Ramones....

The Ramones were the last great Rock and Roll band.

Mar 5, 2007 at 2:26 PM Post #49 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltrane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This isnt an argument about a band, but an argument about how we choose to define rock and roll, and how we define great. Is Arcade Fire, the Drive By Truckers, The Frames etc.. rock and roll? If yes, then we are surrounded even now with great rock and roll bands. Tons of them.

Even more so, this might just be an argument about one's own ignorance. Unless we suddenly add 'incredibly popular' to that list. Of course, at that point who cares. Popularity has about as much to do with music as dog breeding does.

You are my favourite Rock n' Roll band!

Mar 7, 2007 at 8:46 PM Post #50 of 65
I wouldn't know, but my co-worker says Rush and you're all fools.

Mar 7, 2007 at 9:04 PM Post #51 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
after consideration, i would like to change my vote to bill haley and his comets. they did it first, and best.

I must admit that I am still to this day floored by the intensity of 'Rock Around The Clock', and also the face melting guitar solo is very impressive. That song is probably the oldest song I ever heard that I would say had a 'shredder' rock guitar solo. Even by today's standards of guitar 'shredding' it still impresses me.

Mar 8, 2007 at 2:04 AM Post #52 of 65
This "rock or rock'n'roll" debate seems a bit weird. Rock'n'roll refers to the R'n'B-derived pop music of the 1950s, but is ALSO used to refer to rock music in general. The phrase is also used to imply uninhibited hedonistic rebellion, not limited to a musical context.

Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i think that if Buddy Holly had lived, Elvis wouldn't have been much more than a footnote in the Rock n' Roll History books.

Comparing Buddy Holly to Elvis is like comparing Dave Matthews to Pearl Jam. (And I'm not even an Elvis or Pearl Jam fan.)

Mar 8, 2007 at 9:06 AM Post #53 of 65
Wow - thank your co-worker for that incredible insight.

Please also tell them that someone has already coined the expression only fools rush in. So thanks, but I'm pretty sure most people are already aware of that. Next time they chime into someone else's discussion, perhaps they should offer something fresh and useful.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solitary1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't know, but my co-worker says Rush and you're all fools.

Mar 8, 2007 at 12:59 PM Post #54 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by fordgtlover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow - thank your co-worker for that incredible insight.

Please also tell them that someone has already coined the expression only fools rush in. So thanks, but I'm pretty sure most people are already aware of that. Next time they chime into someone else's discussion, perhaps they should offer something fresh and useful.

What, Rush is not a valid choice? Get over yourself, it was a joke.

Mar 8, 2007 at 5:29 PM Post #55 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeresist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Comparing Buddy Holly to Elvis is like comparing Dave Matthews to Pearl Jam. (And I'm not even an Elvis or Pearl Jam fan.)

while i see your point, Rock and Roll wasn't quite as compartmentalized as modern rock is these days. i'm sure Elvis would still have been quite popular, but my speculation is that he wouldn't have been so readily crowned the "King."

Buddy Holly was a luminous talent who hardly had a chance to get started before he was killed. Even with such limited output, you can hear that, as a songwriter, he was more dynamic than pretty much anyone else in Rock and Roll at the time.

i'm of the opinion that, had he lived, his influence would have been profound enough to have dramatically altered the course of American popular music. of course, it's pure speculation.

Mar 9, 2007 at 2:04 AM Post #57 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeresist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I must admit that all I know about Buddy Holly is "Peggy Sue", which struck me as somewhat insipid.

Buddy Holly and the Crickets essentially invented the idea that rock and roll bands could write the music they play. elvis never wrote a thing, jerry lee lewis wrote only a handful (none of his hits), same for bill haley.

the first band to really pick up on this was a little group known as The Beatles... and they got the idea from Holly.

and if you listen to Holly's music in the context of the other popular music of the time, you'll hear how he expanded and pioneered rock composition. and Holly's career didn't even last 2 years before he was killed.

Mar 9, 2007 at 6:26 AM Post #59 of 65
I'm sure Rush is as valid as many other bands mentioned in this thread. I didn't take offence to you suggesting Rush. I took offence to being called a fool.

Sorry, I didn't get the joke.

Maybe you need to point out the jokes for us slower members.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solitary1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What, Rush is not a valid choice? Get over yourself, it was a joke.

Mar 9, 2007 at 9:18 AM Post #60 of 65
watcha mean, LAST? i'm confused. chuck berry is still very much alive, and while he lasts, he's the greatest ever rock'n'roller. ah, maybe that's what you meant with last. may he last a good while longer!
he invented that thing, remember. little richard and jerry lee lewis won't agree, but that's just them. may they last as well.

my personal preference: bill haley & the comets. by the way, i also know who killed rock'n'roll: the beatles. and that was a good thing, opened up the clogged arteries.

guns'n'roses? greatest hair metal band ever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back