The last great Rock N Roll band
Mar 2, 2007 at 2:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 65

thahater

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

i have a question for you,I was having a debate with a friend of mine and i was telling him the last great rock n roll band was Guns N Roses.an dhe disagreed.i forget who he was mentioned to me but who you you consider.thanks

Mar 2, 2007 at 2:56 PM Post #2 of 65
Too many to list. I hated Guns and Roses (though certainly give them credit where it's due), but claiming they were the last great rock band is like claiming John Legend is the last great Soul artist.

Mar 2, 2007 at 5:43 PM Post #3 of 65
I also agree Guns N' Roses were the last great rock band...I mean, who's come after them?? You could make a case for Oasis, but it's a stretch. At their height, GN'R were the world's biggest band, bigger than U2 or Stones. Here's hoping that Velvet Revolver will follow their tracks!!

Mar 2, 2007 at 7:19 PM Post #4 of 65
Rock & Roll?

Personally I class Guns 'N Roses as Rock, but not Rock & Roll - To be honest I can't think that far back to a Rock & Roll band that's really interested me that much.

Mar 2, 2007 at 7:41 PM Post #6 of 65
This isnt an argument about a band, but an argument about how we choose to define rock and roll, and how we define great. Is Arcade Fire, the Drive By Truckers, The Frames etc.. rock and roll? If yes, then we are surrounded even now with great rock and roll bands. Tons of them.

Even more so, this might just be an argument about one's own ignorance. Unless we suddenly add 'incredibly popular' to that list. Of course, at that point who cares. Popularity has about as much to do with music as dog breeding does.

Mar 2, 2007 at 7:54 PM Post #7 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltrane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This isnt an argument about a band, but an argument about how we choose to define rock and roll, and how we define great. Is Arcade Fire, the Drive By Truckers, The Frames etc.. rock and roll? If yes, then we are surrounded even now with great rock and roll bands. Tons of them.

Even more so, this might just be an argument about one's own ignorance. Unless we suddenly add 'incredibly popular' to that list. Of course, at that point who cares. Popularity has about as much to do with music as dog breeding does.

Great.
Just when I thought I had the right answer.
plainface.gif

Mar 2, 2007 at 8:19 PM Post #10 of 65
Rock 'n Roll is dead.

Long Live Rock (Which is probably dead, too).

I never liked GNR, myself.

Mar 2, 2007 at 9:11 PM Post #12 of 65
The Archies

Mar 2, 2007 at 10:13 PM Post #13 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solitary1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Archies

LOL...I vote for "The Cowsills"...they were heavy!

Mar 2, 2007 at 10:29 PM Post #14 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicomte /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rock 'n Roll is dead.

Long Live Rock (Which is probably dead, too).

I never liked GNR, myself.

gnr was an 80's hair band anyway; rock but not rock 'n' roll. when i hear a speeded up 12 bar blues riff, simple 4/4 beat, and twangy guitars and pop-vocals and harmony, i think "this is rock 'n' roll".

Mar 2, 2007 at 10:38 PM Post #15 of 65
If Guns and Roses qualify as rock n' roll then yes i would agree.
if not, its way too far back for me to give an educated opinion, as I only hear the stuff that plays on the radio, which isnt even close to enough to give a good opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back