The last great Rock N Roll band
Mar 3, 2007 at 8:46 PM Post #33 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by JES /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another vote for GNR because I want to belong.
evil_smiley.gif

I'm changing my vote to Zeppelin. That's Led Zeppelin.

Mar 4, 2007 at 6:01 AM Post #40 of 65
Interesting vein in here - if defining genres, we could just say the last of "Rock 'n Roll" was when The Music Died in that plane crash, and everything after that lost a bit of that innocent abandon - and become ROCK or Folk Rock or Hard Rock or Metal or Heavy Metal, etc. Who knows what might have happened? Would Rock and Rock have stagnated as a fad? Turned into all those offshoots? I have no idea. But the teenyboppers had a big wake up call that night for certain.

Mar 4, 2007 at 6:21 AM Post #41 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tech2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think Chuck Berry pretty much defined rock and roll.

Chuck Berry was a god, and still is. i was lucky enough to see him perform live when i still lived in St. Louis. it was an honor and a privelage to sing along to "My Ding-A-Ling" with the real king of rock'n'roll...

also, i really do think that defining genres is stupid. don't be difficult people, we all know what people mean when they say "rock n roll"... and it's not like anyone actually says rock'n'roll anymore. no one at all. it's just rock now!

Mar 4, 2007 at 6:47 AM Post #42 of 65
I agree with the issue regarding Rock n Roll being a musical style based in the '50s.

Perhaps this is why there often numerous postings about whether bands like Black Sabbath and Led Zep are rock, or hard rock or heavy metal. Led Zep used to be called rock, now I hear it called classic rock. Ozzy used to be called heavy metal. Is he still?

Regarding GNR, their time has been and gone - move on. Bands like Motley Crue reforming simply smacks of a bunch of guys looking for some cash and performing to a target audience who is now a bit older and is prepared to cough up more for a concert ticket that allows them to revisit experiences of their formative years.

For example, Motley Crue toured Australia last year I think. They wanted nearly $200 a ticket - can anyone say money grab?

Don't get me wrong, I loved these bands, but I'm not the same person as I was when I was 22 and I'm not foolish enough to think that I can really relive my younger days - not even at $200 a ticket.

Mar 4, 2007 at 3:23 PM Post #43 of 65
what? no mention of The Stray Cats?
wink.gif

i think the only title GNR has earned is the "the best band that's ever been named Guns n Roses."

Mar 4, 2007 at 3:39 PM Post #44 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what? no mention of The Stray Cats?
wink.gif

i think the only title GNR has earned is the "the best band that's ever been named Guns n Roses."

Hey VicAjax, you missed my post!
mad.gif

See top of page 2 for Stray Cats. However, I too agree with Rock 'n Roll belonging to late 50's - early 60's.

Jahn, excellent point on the plane crash -- how would history be rewritten?

Mar 5, 2007 at 12:21 AM Post #45 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Denim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey VicAjax, you missed my post!
mad.gif

See top of page 2 for Stray Cats. However, I too agree with Rock 'n Roll belonging to late 50's - early 60's.

Jahn, excellent point on the plane crash -- how would history be rewritten?

whoops... my bad.

i think that if Buddy Holly had lived, Elvis wouldn't have been much more than a footnote in the Rock n' Roll History books.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back