"The Lab"
Jul 29, 2015 at 5:26 AM Post #10,756 of 20,136
What are you comparing it with Peter?

What I've found whenever I get a new IEM is that I need to use it, and only it for about 3-5 days.  That way I get dialled into it's particular sound. Switching too much never lets my brain adjust.  I do know what you mean about the bass - going from a leaner IEM like the DN-2000J to the Delta makes it sound a little loose and mid-bassy.  Once I adjust though - really easy listening.

If its not for you though, at least there should be plenty of takers at the KS price.

Jul 29, 2015 at 5:32 AM Post #10,757 of 20,136
What are you comparing it with Peter?

What I've found whenever I get a new IEM is that I need to use it, and only it for about 3-5 days.  That way I get dialled into it's particular sound. Switching too much never lets my brain adjust.  I do know what you mean about the bass - going from a leaner IEM like the DN-2000J to the Delta makes it sound a little loose and mid-bassy.  Once I adjust though - really easy listening.

If its not for you though, at least there should be plenty of takers at the KS price.

The last days I've gone back and forward between the Havis, Heaven VII and CKR9's.......

Don't get me wrong, they're certainly not bad I just think that I was expecting more and I also believe that their signature is not my preferred one.

Please keep in mind that this is with just a couple of hours use and only with my phone and stock tips.

I will not be giving up on them that easy :wink:

Jul 29, 2015 at 7:35 AM Post #10,758 of 20,136
Note to myself :
Next time (preferable before I start bitchig) check the accessory pack and try out the included filters :wink:

It turned out that I prefer the silver filters.....

Jul 29, 2015 at 7:37 AM Post #10,759 of 20,136
Yup - the versatility is one of their strong points - especially at the price.

Jul 29, 2015 at 12:25 PM Post #10,760 of 20,136
Note to myself :
Next time (preferable before I start bitchig) check the accessory pack and try out the included filters
wink.gif

It turned out that I prefer the silver filters.....

What color are the stock filters?

Jul 29, 2015 at 12:31 PM Post #10,761 of 20,136
Jul 29, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #10,762 of 20,136
so I've been listening to the CALYX PaT on my lunch breaks for the last couple of days, these are my impressions:
I've been streaming music from Google Play on my Note 2 and listening to my hifiman re400s. 
I've been bouncing back and forth from the PaT to phone only.  With the PaT the music definitely has more punch.  There is more space between instruments and more airiness to vocals.  String instruments such as the cello have more detail and sound more natural.  This is definitely an enjoyable combination.
I also tried the PaT with my He400s last night.  It sounded good but I definitely like my Asgard and D20 combo much better.  A fact that I'm thankful for since this combination cost me about 4 times what the PaT goes for.  It seemed like the PaT was straining to drive the He400s.  I wasn't able to get a satisfactory volume out of them.
For what it is and what it costs the PaT is definitely a good buy.
Sorry the review was short and lacked detail but my lunch break is over and I must get back to work...

Jul 29, 2015 at 3:16 PM Post #10,764 of 20,136
twister6, both your front page spots are filled again!

:beerchug:

Jul 29, 2015 at 3:29 PM Post #10,765 of 20,136
@twister6, both your front page spots are filled again!

beerchug.gif

Sometime I'm not quite sure if it's a blessing or a curse (my wife will voucher for the later one), and it does feel a bit like unhealthy addiction lol!!!

Jul 29, 2015 at 5:28 PM Post #10,766 of 20,136
Sometime I'm not quite sure if it's a blessing or a curse (my wife will voucher for the later one), and it does feel a bit like unhealthy addiction lol!!!
I hear ya buddy! Last night my wife says to me "Goodnight Vince, goodnight headphones" and went to bed. damn

Jul 29, 2015 at 6:11 PM Post #10,769 of 20,136
so I've been listening to the CALYX PaT on my lunch breaks for the last couple of days, these are my impressions:
I've been streaming music from Google Play on my Note 2 and listening to my hifiman re400s. 
I've been bouncing back and forth from the PaT to phone only.  With the PaT the music definitely has more punch.  There is more space between instruments and more airiness to vocals.  String instruments such as the cello have more detail and sound more natural.  This is definitely an enjoyable combination.
I also tried the PaT with my He400s last night.  It sounded good but I definitely like my Asgard and D20 combo much better.  A fact that I'm thankful for since this combination cost me about 4 times what the PaT goes for.  It seemed like the PaT was straining to drive the He400s.  I wasn't able to get a satisfactory volume out of them.
For what it is and what it costs the PaT is definitely a good buy.
Sorry the review was short and lacked detail but my lunch break is over and I must get back to work...

I've got this in for testing. I basically agree with your assessment. The PaT makes the iPhone listening experience more energetic and engaging by tightening up the bass, making the upper end sound crisper, and providing a larger soundstage. It works well with easier to drive HP & IEM but stumbles with my HE400 planars.

Question bmulkshake01: Do you have HE400 or HE400S? It's quite confusing nomenclature HiFiMan pulled out with the new HE400S, since basically everyone who owns HE400 refers to them as their HE400s. HiFiMan should hire me as a consultant :wink_face:

Ok, back to PaT...

One quirk I found is that with my iPhone 5S, the PaT doesn't provide any extra volume. It's pretty easy to A/B these. Just unplug from PaT and plug into iPhone, making sure the volume is the same.

I'm guessing the reason for no volume increase is that the iPhone would balk at having to give too much power to a USB accessory and throw up an error. Keeping the volume unchanged means PaT just draws power for signal processing. I'm not an engineer, so that's just my uneducated guess. Take it with a grain of salt. I'm inquiring with Calyx to try and understand this better.

The other quirk I have is that the PaT gets powered down pretty fast after I pause / stop playback. This means I have to press the home button on my iPhone to wake it up and reinitiate the connection, powering up the PaT. Every time it powers down or back in, I get an audible click / pop. I'm blaming Apple's aggressive power management strategy for this. I don't think it has anything to do with the PaT other than relying on a host device for power.

Enough PaT talk :wink_face:

If anyone's interest in the PaT is piqued, come over and sign up for the TOUR. I haven't gotten many people to sign up, so I might relax the review requirement and just go for some solid impressions on the PaT thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back