"The Lab"
Jun 12, 2015 at 2:09 PM Post #8,717 of 20,136
Hey Vince, I've been listening to those TTPOD IEMs on my lunch break.  Doing an a/b comparison with my re400s.  I hate to say it but I think I might like the TTPODs better.  I like the bottom end, much fuller, especially kick and toms.  I think the re400s may be cleaner but they lack the punch in the bottom end.  I'll bring my 400s over some time to get your impression.
I gave Bill a pair of extra T1E if you guys are wondering which ones he is referring to.

Ya, really impressive bass and energetic and musical midrange. They were a favorite of mine for a looooooong time!

Jun 12, 2015 at 2:19 PM Post #8,719 of 20,136
Hey Lab-folk. Anybody use those short JDS Lab cables? Looking at picking up a pair, but I'm wondering how they hold up. Being so short do the connectors have adequate strain relief? Do they sound OK? Why does it cost so much to ship to Canada?:rolleyes:  (the reason I'm thinking about getting 2… so the cost of the cables isn't less than the shipping)

Cheers.

@Wokei
 nice to see you putting in an appearance:wink_face:

I have the short one thats like 1 inch long they hold up pretty good, as long as you dont move it around and use the rubber bands with your dap and amp it should be fine.

Jun 12, 2015 at 2:20 PM Post #8,720 of 20,136
Are you talking about this one?

They are awesomesauce

That be the one. I find the Fiio cables I have are still too long for my stack. The X3/e12a combo is pocketable except for the cables sticking out.
The only problem I can see is I'll have to stack the amp upside down so the jacks aren't on opposite sides

Jun 12, 2015 at 2:23 PM Post #8,721 of 20,136
Bill, the T1E sells for as low as 25 dollars sometimes.

Crazy price to performance ratio eh?

yeah, I'd rather not talk about it considering I paid $100 for my re400s. I'd like to hear the re400s on a better source.  Right now I'm using my s5 hooked up to a topping d20 and bravo v2.  Perhaps something like the fiio x1 or x3 would be better.

Jun 12, 2015 at 2:37 PM Post #8,723 of 20,136
I have one of these:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/C0-1pcs-LO-line-out-dock-Adapter-with-3-5mm-Female-Port-jack-for-iphone-4s-ipod-/261798838993?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cf46d42d1

You can then use the JDS Labs ultra short cable with it.

I've been wanting to get one of those ultra short cables, but like you, have found the shipping cost a little expensive.

Jun 12, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #8,724 of 20,136
  Hey Lab-folk. Anybody use those short JDS Lab cables? Looking at picking up a pair, but I'm wondering how they hold up. Being so short do the connectors have adequate strain relief? Do they sound OK? Why does it cost so much to ship to Canada?
rolleyes.gif
 (the reason I'm thinking about getting 2… so the cost of the cables isn't less than the shipping)

Cheers.

@Wokei nice to see you putting in an appearance
wink_face.gif

They are good if you don't have to constantly remove and re-attach them, there is some wear'n'tear since they are so slim and basically a molded tpe plastic.  I would recommend getting a handful, that's what I did since shipping is pretty steep anyway so might as well get replacements included :)

Jun 12, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #8,725 of 20,136
  I have one of these:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/C0-1pcs-LO-line-out-dock-Adapter-with-3-5mm-Female-Port-jack-for-iphone-4s-ipod-/261798838993?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cf46d42d1

You can then use the JDS Labs ultra short cable with it.

I've been wanting to get one of those ultra short cables, but like you, have found the shipping cost a little expensive.

Got the Fiio version of that too. I still would like something a little more low profile. If I still had a soldering iron (and any electronics chops left) I'd consider hard wiring a 3.5 mm LO into the ipod and be done with it.

Jun 12, 2015 at 2:58 PM Post #8,726 of 20,136
  Hey Lab-folk. Anybody use those short JDS Lab cables? Looking at picking up a pair, but I'm wondering how they hold up. Being so short do the connectors have adequate strain relief? Do they sound OK? Why does it cost so much to ship to Canada?
rolleyes.gif
 (the reason I'm thinking about getting 2… so the cost of the cables isn't less than the shipping)

Cheers.

@Wokei nice to see you putting in an appearance
wink_face.gif

That be the one. I find the Fiio cables I have are still too long for my stack. The X3/e12a combo is pocketable except for the cables sticking out.
The only problem I can see is I'll have to stack the amp upside down so the jacks aren't on opposite sides

I am using three currently, yes you must place stack with connectors close thus often something is "upside down" as in:

R

Jun 12, 2015 at 2:58 PM Post #8,727 of 20,136

Why was he banned?

For a couple reasons, he reviewed a good amount of stuff and some of the things he reviewed were sponors here. And he tells it like it is and i believe some of the sponors didnt like that. He also put a link for his crowd sourcing account for donations to buy review products and they didnt like that either.

I actually like him very much he doesnt like to take demo unit's to review he believes it subconsciously makes reviewers have more positive feelings about the product, for instance if you give a bad review you may never see another product from that company. He gets alot of donations for his YouTube channel.

Actually, he is not banned, and still on head-fi: http://www.head-fi.org/u/119593/a-recording under "a-recording".

He started a "controversial" topic: http://www.head-fi.org/t/724799/opinion-review-units-hurt-the-audio-community and got in a few confrontations with admins.  Btw, a VERY good read about reviewers and review samples, though topic/thread is closed.  Considering he posts his reviews on YT and collects Google advertisement money from it, he was labeled as "member of the trade" since his promotion of reviews drives viewers to his channel.  So, to prove a point, he stopped posting all of his reviews here and limits his participation on head-fi.  I recently had a chat with him over PM, and he is still a legitimate head-fier, just a little bitter...

Jun 12, 2015 at 3:00 PM Post #8,728 of 20,136
  Got the Fiio version of that too. I still would like something a little more low profile. If I still had a soldering iron (and any electronics chops left) I'd consider hard wiring a 3.5 mm LO into the ipod and be done with it.

Or you can get creative with the FiiO L9:

R

Edit:  I have had more expensive LODs break when I tried to be "creative" :frowning2:

Jun 12, 2015 at 3:38 PM Post #8,730 of 20,136
Actually, he is not banned, and still on head-fi: http://www.head-fi.org/u/119593/a-recording under "a-recording".

He started a "controversial" topic: http://www.head-fi.org/t/724799/opinion-review-units-hurt-the-audio-community and got in a few confrontations with admins.  Btw, a VERY good read about reviewers and review samples, though topic/thread is closed.  Considering he posts his reviews on YT and collects Google advertisement money from it, he was labeled as "member of the trade" since his promotion of reviews drives viewers to his channel.  So, to prove a point, he stopped posting all of his reviews here and limits his participation on head-fi.  I recently had a chat with him over PM, and he is still a legitimate head-fier, just a little bitter...

+

Thanks for the info Alex

+1

Yes, interesting. I know he likes discussing on reddit and, of course, his Youtube account, but he infrequents HF nowadays is my understanding. Didn't know anything about banning or not. Now I know not banned...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back