"The Lab"
May 15, 2015 at 1:01 PM Post #5,656 of 20,136
Can't embed this, but click the LINK if you're interested in some hillbilly ACDC!

May 15, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #5,657 of 20,136
My dream DAP

*Android 5.0 or higher
*Google play store
*WiFi enabled
*Able to download and stream apps like Spotify, Google Music, and Tidal, possibly even video like YouTube and Netflix
*Micro USB DAC out/charge out, with possible micro USB to HDMI cable for connections with a home entertainment center.
*Micro USB DAC in/charge in, can be used as a DAC with a computer, and load files on the device with a "drag and drop" functionality.
*Both micro USB ports on the bottom of the device, with a manual switch for functions like the fiio e18
*Analog volume pot on top of the device (so easily accessed from the user's pockets
*Optional 3.5mm or balanced output
*Manual push buttons on the side of the unit (play, pause, forward, backward, AND a home/menu button
Removable back plate for replaceable battery access, as well as dual micro SD card slots that hold up to 128gb each.
*64gb internal memory, and 4 gigs of RAM or more
*Aptx Bluetooth
*Responsive touch screen
*ESS9018 or better chipset, or dual chipset and opamps for balanced out
*Playback up to 128 DSD (although not necessary)
*Optional high/low impedance setting
*Built in ten band equalizer with bass boost, crossfade, virtualizer, and sample upgrading
*12 hours battery life with an extra battery and battery charger. Batteries are replaceable lithium ion
*Otterbox-like protective case, and screen protectors.
*Firmware support and upgrades
*2 year warranty
*Trade in discount for the next model released
*All for around $1000 USD or less

Is this asking too much?

May 15, 2015 at 1:13 PM Post #5,658 of 20,136
I just threw my ideas for a dream DAP up on the Fiio X7 thread. I'm curious to see what things you guys would want, and wonder how it would compare to my list.

Anyone want to chime in on this topic?

I'm a simple guy so an X3 design (physical buttons, no touchscreen) and GeekOut sound would go a long way for me. USB audio out and two memory card slots should also be included.

Small footprint is more important to me than more features. I do understand that I'm probably in the majority here but that's OK :wink:

Edit: Bluetooth should also be there.

May 15, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #5,659 of 20,136
I just threw my ideas for a dream DAP up on the Fiio X7 thread. I'm curious to see what things you guys would want, and wonder how it would compare to my list.

Anyone want to chime in on this topic?

Wireless transmission directly to the auditory section of my brain - we are dreaming aren't we
wink.gif

Not that I'm a monarchist (quite the opposite), but tis Victoria Day weekend - the unofficial start of summer here in Canada (and I just like The Kinks).

May 15, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #5,660 of 20,136
My dream DAP

*Android 5.0 or higher
*Google play store
*WiFi enabled
*Able to download and stream apps like Spotify, Google Music, and Tidal, possibly even video like YouTube and Netflix
*Micro USB DAC out/charge out, with possible micro USB to HDMI cable for connections with a home entertainment center.
*Micro USB DAC in/charge in, can be used as a DAC with a computer, and load files on the device with a "drag and drop" functionality.
*Both micro USB ports on the bottom of the device, with a manual switch for functions like the fiio e18
*Analog volume pot on top of the device (so easily accessed from the user's pockets
*Manual push buttons on the side of the unit (play, pause, forward, backward, AND a home/menu button
Removable back plate for replaceable battery access, as well as dual micro SD card slots that hold up to 128gb each.
*Aptx Bluetooth
*Responsive touch screen
*Built in ten band equalizer with bass boost, crossfade, virtualizer, and sample upgrading
*12 hours battery life with an extra battery and battery charger. Batteries are replaceable lithium ion
*2 year warranty

Is this asking too much?

You forgot Head-Fi access, and a coupon for a free Wokei video request.

May 15, 2015 at 1:28 PM Post #5,662 of 20,136
My dream DAP

*Android 5.0 or higher
*Google play store
*WiFi enabled
*Aptx Bluetooth
*Responsive touch screen
*2 year warranty

Is this asking too much?

Spot on buddy .....all that for the sweet price of 99$ USD ....too much

May 15, 2015 at 1:56 PM Post #5,664 of 20,136
May 15, 2015 at 2:05 PM Post #5,665 of 20,136
Also, it should be able to detect when somebody around me is listening to a pair of Beats, and start broadcasting disparaging remarks into their phones
evil_smiley.gif

In all seriousness, I'll fall into the minimalist camp with Peter. For me, a DAP is meant to be portable, and should just play music with minimal fuss. I'll still claim that my cheap Sony mp3 is the best when it comes to useability. Take that aspect, upgrade the audio components to round X5 level, ~12hrs battery life, expandable storage (personally, I'd go with full size SD just cause they are more available at bigger sizes, but I'm wondering if msata/m2 could be workable).

On another bit of rambling… found one problem with my modded Grados. They are bloody warm. I always thought that velour were supposed to be cooler, but these things are warmer than my hp150. Not sure if its because the cork adapters I use just don't have enough ventilation, or what. @peter123 you got the hm5 pads on your grados… do you find them warm?

May 15, 2015 at 2:13 PM Post #5,666 of 20,136
Also, it should be able to detect when somebody around me is listening to a pair of Beats, and start broadcasting disparaging remarks into their phones:evil:

In all seriousness, I'll fall into the minimalist camp with Peter. For me, a DAP is meant to be portable, and should just play music with minimal fuss. I'll still claim that my cheap Sony mp3 is the best when it comes to useability. Take that aspect, upgrade the audio components to round X5 level, ~12hrs battery life, expandable storage (personally, I'd go with full size SD just cause they are more available at bigger sizes, but I'm wondering if msata/m2 could be workable).

On another bit of rambling… found one problem with my modded Grados. They are bloody warm. I always thought that velour were supposed to be cooler, but these things are warmer than my hp150. Not sure if its because the cork adapters I use just don't have enough ventilation, or what. @peter123
 you got the hm5 pads on your grados… do you find them warm?

Yes, they're significantly warmer than in stock configuration but I like it. The last couple of days I've been using them with some cheap "M50" velours I got from eBay a long time ago. I think this is the best I've ever heard the, the more shallow pads bring the sound closer to stock (still warmer) while providing excellent comfort.

May 15, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #5,668 of 20,136
I would like an FM tuner in a DAP I listen to alot if talk radio.

I agree although I'd need DAB since they're shutting down FM broadcasting in Norway after next year :frowning2:

May 15, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #5,669 of 20,136
Yes, they're significantly warmer than in stock configuration but I like it. The last couple of days I've been using them with some cheap "M50" velours I got from eBay a long time ago. I think this is the best I've ever heard the, the more shallow pads bring the sound closer to stock (still warmer) while providing excellent comfort.

In case you weren't sure I was talking about temp, not SQ.

Don't want to start punching vent holes in the adapter because I really like the sound right now. When I had a pair with bigger vents they were a little too lean compared to the stock comfys. I don't know I'll be able to remove the adapters without breaking the things either.

May 15, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #5,670 of 20,136
In case you weren't sure I was talking about temp, not SQ.

Don't want to start punching vent holes in the adapter because I really like the sound right now. When I had a pair with bigger vents they were a little too lean compared to the stock comfys. I don't know I'll be able to remove the adapters without breaking the things either.

Lol, I obviously did think SQ :)

I've not been feeling warm with them but then again my adapters has went holes :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back