The Koss ESP950 thread (ESP owners, please contribute! :)
May 4, 2020 at 12:27 AM Post #601 of 731
I like a fairly flat, detailed sound and the 95X is tonally dark in comparison to the Focal Elex. I used it for at least 6 months without EQ and I thought it sounds like how you would look at the sun but clouds are in the way. The Elex is like the sun burning your eyeballs!

Gain reduction in EQ, and foobar volume attenuation will stop clipping, but DAC attenuation and amp volume won't.

May 14, 2020 at 2:03 PM Post #602 of 731
Hi. Could anyone suggest reasonable 110v power supply for E90? I ordered esp95x from massdrop, but it comes with 220v supply, so I need to buy something.

I followed few links to mouser/digikey from this thread, but they point to out of stock products. If anyone has mouser link to a quality power supply to share, I would be grateful as I am no electrical engineer :)

Also, any opinions on this? https://www.amazon.com/iPower-Supply-International-Travel-Adapters/dp/B010UYGA86/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=ifi+9v&qid=1589476384&sr=8-2&th=1

Cheers!

Last edited:
May 15, 2020 at 1:58 AM Post #603 of 731

I picked up the iFi power supply used on eBay and, unfortunately, it creates an audible hum through the headphones when the power supply is plugged into the wall outlet and the E90. The hum is bothersome when the E90 is on with no input, and it is even audible when the E90 is switched off. I plan to do a little more experimentation over the weekend, but based on my initial experience I would recommend against the iFi. It is possible I got a bad unit, and that could even have been why it was for sale on eBay. IFi's claims of low-noise power, and their prominence in the audio equipment space made this power supply seem like an obvious choice, but color me disappointed.

Last edited:
May 15, 2020 at 5:14 AM Post #604 of 731
I picked up the iFi power supply used on eBay and, unfortunately, it creates an audible hum through the headphones when the power supply is plugged into the wall outlet and the E90. The hum is bothersome when the E90 is on with no input, and it is even audible when the E90 is switched off. I plan to do a little more experimentation over the weekend, but based on my initial experience I would recommend against the iFi. It is possible I got a bad unit, and that could even have been why it was for sale on eBay. IFi's claims of low-noise power, and their prominence in the audio equipment space made this power supply seem like an obvious choice, but color me disappointed.
My Koss also have major hum when using the iFi. Not recommended.

May 15, 2020 at 7:13 AM Post #605 of 731
A little pricy but my Linear Power Supply is hum-free as long as there isn't some other device leaking electrical interference. Earlier today I thought my right earcup was humming but it was just the computer a couple feet away.

May 21, 2020 at 9:24 AM Post #606 of 731
Anyone have any suggestions for new pads that don't cost $70-90? Any alternatives? Definitely need a better seal (especially for HEAVY bass).

Otherwise pretty satisfied with my pair of 950's. Having just getting them a few days ago I can say that they are pretty impressive and have such a effortlessness about them. I swear there are some songs with sections that, no matter what headphone I've used, always get a little shouty or congested...with these there's none. I'd like to think that's the property of the electrostatic nature of the headphones compared to all the others I've owned.

I will say that my iSINE 20's still sound amazing. Can't really say the 950's replace them but they both have their ups and downs.

May 21, 2020 at 10:25 AM Post #607 of 731
Koss has the standard pleather ones for $5

May 21, 2020 at 11:09 AM Post #609 of 731
Looking for better than stock.
Sorry, you could keep an eye on Drop, they sometimes have earpads for the Koss. Avoid the protein leather ones on ebay that sell from $10-$20, they are cheap copies of the tock pads at a higher price.

May 30, 2020 at 2:12 AM Post #610 of 731
Hi. Could anyone suggest reasonable 110v power supply for E90? I ordered esp95x from massdrop, but it comes with 220v supply, so I need to buy something.

I followed few links to mouser/digikey from this thread, but they point to out of stock products. If anyone has mouser link to a quality power supply to share, I would be grateful as I am no electrical engineer :)

Also, any opinions on this? https://www.amazon.com/iPower-Supply-International-Travel-Adapters/dp/B010UYGA86/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=ifi+9v&qid=1589476384&sr=8-2&th=1

Cheers!
I fell into the same boat, and Id imagine you have found an alternative by now, but I bought this(and have no problems at all):
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N2K48HR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Anyone have any suggestions for new pads that don't cost $70-90? Any alternatives? Definitely need a better seal (especially for HEAVY bass).

Otherwise pretty satisfied with my pair of 950's. Having just getting them a few days ago I can say that they are pretty impressive and have such a effortlessness about them. I swear there are some songs with sections that, no matter what headphone I've used, always get a little shouty or congested...with these there's none. I'd like to think that's the property of the electrostatic nature of the headphones compared to all the others I've owned.

I will say that my iSINE 20's still sound amazing. Can't really say the 950's replace them but they both have their ups and downs.

eBay has a number of sellers with pads that Ive read are better than the stock 950's, not sure if theyre better than the 95x pads though. Im using the Fong pads right now, and I absolutely love them, although theyre pricey. Dekoni sells some as well.

May 30, 2020 at 2:29 AM Post #611 of 731
I fell into the same boat, and Id imagine you have found an alternative by now, but I bought this(and have no problems at all):
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N2K48HR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That looks like a good match. I see that the same manufacturer has a slightly larger version with 3A maximum output, also available on Amazon. I wonder if the larger one would be a better bet, since it would be operating further from its maximum capacity and might also therefore run cooler.

@Feyded1020 : No audible hum with that adapter?

May 30, 2020 at 2:32 AM Post #612 of 731
That looks like a good match. I see that the same manufacturer has a slightly larger version with 3A maximum output, also available on Amazon. I wonder if the larger one would be a better bet, since it would be operating further from its maximum capacity and might also therefore run cooler.

@Feyded1020 : No audible hum with that adapter?
I havent heard the Koss energizer make any noises yet, and I have the volume quite high on the energizer itself as I have my RME acting as the amp(so I can control volume easier.). I went with the higher amperage on mine thinking the same thing, I dont know if it has made a difference but the product itself has been great. The E90 is really given less credit than it deserves I feel.

May 30, 2020 at 6:03 PM Post #614 of 731
I don't mind the energiser. Waiting to upgrade my Topping D50 instead of the E90 - then some Vesper pads for my 95X. I think the cooling gel will help in the summer.

Been using the 9X the last few days, the right channel started off with some noises but leaving the LPS and energiser on it seems to settle down over time.

Can anyone compare Vesper pads angled vs non-angled?

Jun 7, 2020 at 1:25 AM Post #615 of 731
It feels cheap. It's light weight. The volume knobs suck. But it sounds damn good to me.

Granted I've got nothing else to compare it to but I think it sounds good for what it is.
I've just bought and have tried my Stax SRM-252s on my ESP/95x. Compared to the E90, its a waste of money in my opinion. It provides absolutely nothing that the E90 can't provide, other than putting out a ton of heat. Audible differences to my ears is nil.

That is why I said it gets less credit than it deserves, although Im sure the MUCH more expensive energizers may have some difference. To me though not enough to warrant the price as currently it sounds fantastic. I wont disagree that it FEELS cheap, but function of it so far has been perfect *fingers crossed*.

I don't mind the energiser. Waiting to upgrade my Topping D50 instead of the E90 - then some Vesper pads for my 95X. I think the cooling gel will help in the summer.

Been using the 9X the last few days, the right channel started off with some noises but leaving the LPS and energiser on it seems to settle down over time.

Can anyone compare Vesper pads angled vs non-angled?

I bought the fong audio vesper pads, and I dont know if its new or an issue Ive had, but Im getting jaw pain on my right ear. I didnt have it from what I recall on my HD58x, kind of frustrating. I would have ordered from Vesper themselves if I actually researched it more haha. Now Im interested in the cooling gel you mentioned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back