The Koss ESP950 thread (ESP owners, please contribute! :)
Jan 15, 2021 at 5:55 PM Post #676 of 731
So for years my favorite cans were Beyerdynamic DT990 pros. I loved the huge soundstage and imaging for me it was simply sublime. I know there is a big V to the sound but I don't mind and you can eq it out if you don't like. Anyhow, my puppy got a hold of mine about a year ago and I had always wanted to try a pair of electrostats so I got the Massdrop ESP 95x. I have really been enjoying them over the last year - even more than I realized. I finally got around to picking up another pair of 250ohm DT990's a few days ago and when I put them on and started listening to them I was kind of disappointed. The soundstage and imaging on the ESP950 is every bit as good. The resolving is actually better on the 95x - the only thing that the ESP 95x is missing is the Bass (but for that I use my Lawton modded Fostex TH-900 on a Woo Audio firelflies set-up. I still like the DT990's but they are no longer the cans I once thought they were due to the ESP 95x

Jan 15, 2021 at 6:56 PM Post #677 of 731
So for years my favorite cans were Beyerdynamic DT990 pros. I loved the huge soundstage and imaging for me it was simply sublime. I know there is a big V to the sound but I don't mind and you can eq it out if you don't like. Anyhow, my puppy got a hold of mine about a year ago and I had always wanted to try a pair of electrostats so I got the Massdrop ESP 95x. I have really been enjoying them over the last year - even more than I realized. I finally got around to picking up another pair of 250ohm DT990's a few days ago and when I put them on and started listening to them I was kind of disappointed. The soundstage and imaging on the ESP950 is every bit as good. The resolving is actually better on the 95x - the only thing that the ESP 95x is missing is the Bass (but for that I use my Lawton modded Fostex TH-900 on a Woo Audio firelflies set-up. I still like the DT990's but they are no longer the cans I once thought they were due to the ESP 95x

Electrosats, properly implemented, will beat just about everything else save on bass. The diaphragm just has to be so big to reach low. My dream speakers are like 7 ft tall and 3+ ft wide for a reason. :wink:

Feb 3, 2021 at 3:26 PM Post #679 of 731
So I'm about to receive my pair, what should I do? Replace the energizer asap with a Stax one? get one of those LPS? Although $200 is a lot for just an LPS imo...
I just want them to sound the best they can without exceeding the price you'd pay for a stax + energizer combo.

I paid about $400 with shipping and customs to europe.

Feb 3, 2021 at 6:22 PM Post #681 of 731
I am using these for the first time in weeks. They sound so great (with my Loki)!

They really are different from anything else I own. So full and detailed. Not great for old, Classic rock, but I do not listen to that much. Every so often i get nostalgic, but the vast majority of my listening is new/newish music with the exceptions being jazz.

A really sweet pair of 'phones. :)

What's wrong with classic rock on the 95X? I was actually planning to listen to that on them (and a ton of other 70's music) instead of something modern due to the common mastering compression of new music (which I guess won't help with the lack of dynamics the 95X already have) and since I knew the 95X don't have much bass slam I didn't think of listening to any electronic on them. So basically just classic rock/jazz/soul, but reading your comment got me a bit concerned.

I'll probably receive them next week.

Feb 3, 2021 at 7:47 PM Post #682 of 731
What's wrong with classic rock on the 95X? I was actually planning to listen to that on them (and a ton of other 70's music) instead of something modern due to the common mastering compression of new music (which I guess won't help with the lack of dynamics the 95X already have) and since I knew the 95X don't have much bass slam I didn't think of listening to any electronic on them. So basically just classic rock/jazz/soul, but reading your comment got me a bit concerned.

I'll probably receive them next week.

I had a problem with my set not working. I got a replacement set and they were noisy. I ended up returning them.

I loved them on the first day. By the second day I had to use the Schiit Loki and pretty much max out all the settings.

After a couple of months the sound was just too thin for me. Not enough bass and just not enough body.

I have gone through many headphones in the last two years and these weren't for me.

Hope you enjoy them!

Feb 3, 2021 at 7:53 PM Post #683 of 731
SO my puppy chewed my cord - the energizer/box is fine but the power cable needs replaced. I contacted Koss and they said they currently don't hae any available - I tried picking up some that had trhe same 9v 1000ma specs listed at local stores but they aren't working - underpowered or not in spec somehow. Anybody know where I can get a power supply for these.

Feb 4, 2021 at 5:17 AM Post #684 of 731
SO my puppy chewed my cord - the energizer/box is fine but the power cable needs replaced. I contacted Koss and they said they currently don't hae any available - I tried picking up some that had trhe same 9v 1000ma specs listed at local stores but they aren't working - underpowered or not in spec somehow. Anybody know where I can get a power supply for these.
I’ve used a iFi iPower (9V) and it worked fine.

Feb 4, 2021 at 8:57 AM Post #686 of 731
Thanks! Have you compared it to a similar power supply by any chance?
Just with the original one. The iFi sounded a bit cleaner and more defined, mainly in the lower frequencies.

Feb 4, 2021 at 10:53 AM Post #687 of 731
Just with the original one. The iFi sounded a bit cleaner and more defined, mainly in the lower frequencies.

That's good to know, your observations are a spot on with many other folks' feedback, so thanks!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back